🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Question

Greenleaf

Of the Sacried wood
Reaction score
I know this was a Q: thread but I had to say this.
Was it me or did it seem weird for Boromir to say that? If PJ had just let you see everyone grieving (no talking) it would have been more moving, Boromir and Aragorn arguing took away from the scene. :(

lilhobo

Retired
Reaction score
i saw it as aragon coming into his leadership role....

it was there to build up the tension and contrast of the two leaders of men

Greenleaf

Of the Sacried wood
Reaction score
Lilhobo-
Yeah that makes since, but I still hold that it took away from the scene. Talking @ that time of grief and sorrow was to well garish. It just didn’t seem right to me.

Greenleaf

Of the Sacried wood
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that no one needed to talk. It would have been more moving if they had left the factual expressions of the actors, and the music depict the feeling of the scene. The music was poignantly heartbreaking and Aragorn and Boromirs lines seemed jerky and garish in the heart of such a touching moment. Good scene could have been better.

C

Curufinwe

But they probably didnt want to grieve that much because most people know what happens to gandalf after his fall.

Ragnarok

Grand Master (Funk)
Reaction score
But they probably didnt want to grieve that much because most people know what happens to gandalf after his fall.
I might be getting a bit off subject. But a lot of people dont know that Gandalf comes back. My friends asked me if he died and I said 'yeah.' (Well, it is true :p )

WARDNINE

Reaction score
I agree that regardless of Gandalf's situation, that good scene could have been a classic movie moment. Arghhhhhhhhh! Heartbreaking scene, for sure.
I think it was good to have Boromir say what he did. It would have been easy to not develop his character, and have the General Public thinking, "God, he was a jerk."
But the wrestling with the Hobbits, and then him imploring for them to have grief time was good stuff. WE know that it wasn't Boromir, but the Ring that made him do what he did, but maybe some folks wouldn't have grasped that til Two Towers.
Just my two cents...
:)

Dagorlad

Reaction score
That scene was a disgusting and total ruination of what was clearly portrayed in the book. In the book it is heartbreaking and awesome, while in the movie it was nothing short of absurd. And why no guards at the exit to be hewn down in Aragorn's wrath? The few sentences from "Aragorn smote to the ground the captain that stood in his path, and the rest fled in terror of his wrath" and on to the weeping and then "Farewell, Gandalf" are very important to the story, and some of the best in the book. My question is obvious. Why change it?

aragil

Just another loremaster
Reaction score
Secondarily Beautiful State of Washington
Originally posted by Dagorlad
That scene was a disgusting and total ruination of what was clearly portrayed in the book. In the book it is heartbreaking and awesome, while in the movie it was nothing short of absurd. And why no guards at the exit to be hewn down in Aragorn's wrath? The few sentences from "Aragorn smote to the ground the captain that stood in his path, and the rest fled in terror of his wrath" and on to the weeping and then "Farewell, Gandalf" are very important to the story, and some of the best in the book. My question is obvious. Why change it?
Well, if you want exactly word for word translation from the book, watch the exit from Moria in the Bakshi version. The orc guards are there, they begin to do something like jumping-jacks when they see Aragorn, and they are hewn to the ground. After watching that tell me which version you thought captured more of the poignancy of the moment.

Thread suggestions