🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

questions about writing quenya with tengwar

Mula

Reaction score
I can already write pretty well Quenya with Tengwar but I'm still a bit uncertain about some things.

1. Do you ever use the vowel y tehta (two dots above a consonant) in Quenya? I would presume that no because there is no vowel y in Quenya.

2. What is the "hook" like under a consonant that is used for marking that an s follows? (like ks) Is it really used?

3. Do I write "alla" (it probably isn't a Quenya word but it doesn't matter now) by first writing the a alone (no consonant under the three dots that means a, but an "i" like mark with three dots instead of just one), then the Tengwa that means l and because it's double l, I put a ~ under it. Then finally I put three dots above the l Tengwa for marking an a. The reason I ask this is that I'm not sure whether I can put a tehta both under and above a consonant or do I have to write the final a alone.

4. How does the nasal-thingy work? I mean nc, nt and so forth. What about "nqu"? Is the mark for the nasal a ~ above a consonant?

5. Are there any ? and ! marks and dots and commas? What about big letters?

Last edited:

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Welcome, Mula! I am quite an expert (or like to think of myself as one) of the Tengwar, and will try to answer as best I can:

1. There is the vowel 'y' in Quenya, and I believe it is represented as two dots *below* the consonant.
2. The 'added s' is only used in writing English, I think; at least I haven't seen any Quenya- tengwar that would have the hook.
3. I would write 'alla' like this: the lonely vowel stem and three dots above it;then letter 'l', which is the hooked shape like a lower case English 't'; then either a hook below or a curved live above the 'l', to signify its doubleness. (I wish I could draw it, it's frustrating to tell everything)
4. 'Nasal' basically means saying consonants with your nose, like the Spanish 'ñ'. There is no extra tengwa for this, it's just the way you pronounce it.
5. There are no capital letters, exclamation or question marks, or apostrophes or the like in the Tengwar. There is a ~, which I like to think means a comma, but I'm not sure it really does.

Heh, that's the best I can do. :)

Thread suggestions