🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Quote/Section of the Week

Talierin

Still here... sometimes
Reaction score
Week of 10/5 - 10/12

'Yes, we wait for the stroke of doom,' said Faramir. And they said no more; and it seemed to them that as they stood upon the wall that the wind died, and the light failed, and the Sun was beared, and all the sounds in the City or in the lands about were hushed: neither wind, nor voice, nor bird call, nor rustle of leaf, nor their own breath could be heard; the very beating of their hearts was stilled. Time halted.
And as they stood so, their hands met and clasped, though they did not know it. And still they waited for they knew not what. Then presently it seemed to them that above the ridges of the distant mountains another vast mountain of darkness rose, towering up like a wave that should engulf the world, and about it lightnings flickered; and then a tremor ran through the earth, and they felt the walls of the City quiver. A sound like a sigh went up from all the lands about them; and their hearts beat suddenly again.
'It reminds me of Numenor,' said Faramir, and wondered to hear himself speak.
'Of Numenor?' said Eowyn.
'Yes,' said Faramir, 'of the land of Westernesse that foundered and of the great dark wave climbing over the green lands and above the hills, and coming on, darkness unescapable. I often dream of it.'
'Then you think that the Darkness is coming?' said Eowyn. 'Darkness Unescapable?' And suddenly she drew close to him.
'No,' said Faramir, looking into her face. 'It was but a picture in the mind. I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!' And he stooped and kissed her brow.
And so they stood on the walls of the City of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air. And the Shadow departed, and the Sun was unveiled, and light leaped forth; and the waters of Anduin shone like silver, and in all the houses of the City men sang for the joy that welled up in their hearts from what source they could not tell.
And before the Sun had fallen far from the noon out of the East there came a great Eagle flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope from the Lords of the West, crying:

Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,
for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,
and the Dark Tower is thrown down.

Sing and rejoice, ye people of the Tower of Guard,
for your watch hath not been in vain,
and the Black Gate is broken,
and your King hath passed through, and he is victorious.

Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you all the days of your life.
And the Tree that was withered shall be renewed,
and he shall plant it in the high places, and the City shall be blessed.
Sing all ye people!

And the people sang in all the ways of the City.
If you would like a particular quote next week, pm me.

Kementari

Lady Writer
Reaction score
My Fav funny quote:

The parlour in Bree.

"Well, you know your own bussiness, maybe," said Butterbur, looking suspiciously at Strider. " But if I was in your plight, I wouldn't take up with a ranger."

"Then who would you take up with?" said Strider. "A fat innkeeper who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day?"

LOL!!!!!!!

elenya

the crazy one
Reaction score
Bilbo: Good Morning!
Gandalf:What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morningwhether I wnat it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
Bilbo: All of them at once!

A little later...

Bilbo:Good morning! We don't want any advetures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across the Water.
Gandalf: What a lot of things you use Good morning for! Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off!

Vilya Elathelas

Reaction score
yeah!

Read the quote in my sig. now I say no and yes (or rather perhaps) to everything!!

"We will sit on the edge of ruin and talk." ~MErry

elenya

the crazy one
Reaction score
Oh! Oh! I thought of another one!

"Praise the halflings! Praise them with great praise!"

Think they overused the word praise?

Diabless

Reaction score
My quotes

I am rereading the LOTR and underlining as I go:'Dear Frodo,' said Pippin. 'Did you really think you had thrown dust in all our eyes? You have not been nearly careful or cleer enough for that!You have obviously been planning to go and saying farewell to all your haunts all this year sinse April. We have constantly heard you muttering:"Shall I ever look down into that valley again, I wonder," and things like that. And pretending that you had come to the end of your money, and actually selling your beloved Bag End to those Sackville- Bagginses!And all those close talks with Gandalf.(101 in my edition)'

'Good heavens!' said Frodo. 'I thought I had been both careful and clever. I don't know what Gandalf would say. Is all the Shire disussing my departure then.'
-They took "A Conspiracy Unmasked" out of the movie and I really liked that chapter.
I also like:

'Come and have your breakfast. The bread tastes almost as god as it did last night. i did not want to leave you any but Sam insisted.' (84)

:)

Arathin

Sic Lucreat Lux
Reaction score
Si vanwa na, Romello vanwa, Valimar!
Namarie! Nai hiruvalye Valimar.
Nai elye hiruva. Namarie!

Translation:
*Now lost, lost to those from the East is Valimar!
Farewell! Maybe thou shalt find Valimar.
Maybe even thou shalt find it. Farewell!*

Thread suggestions