🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Radagast Killed by the Black Riders?

1stvermont

Reaction score
So we know radagast did not return to the west.

Wilt thou learn the lore || that was long secret
of the Five that came || from a far country?

One only returned. || Others never again
—J.R.R Tolkien

I think he might have been killed by the nine. Gandalf at the council of elrond says last he saw him he "rode off as if the nine were after him." Thoughts?

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
I think Tolkien expressed a supposition that Radagast became so enamored with the creatures of Middle Earth that he refused to return to Valinor.

I don't have the Letters with me, so maybe someone can supply the quote, but it would seem to indicate that he survived the war.

1stvermont

Reaction score
I think Tolkien expressed a supposition that Radagast became so enamored with the creatures of Middle Earth that he refused to return to Valinor.

I don't have the Letters with me, so maybe someone can supply the quote, but it would seem to indicate that he survived the war.

I might remember that myself. Well that would put a hurt on my theory.

Merroe

Reaction score
"rode off as if the nine were after him."
I do not think that this is meaningful, 1stvermont, other than to suggest that he was in a good deal of hurry to return; never a great traveler as he had been.

Just remember he returned back to his own lands safe and sound, for he did what Gandalf had asked him to do, namely to spy the lands and send messages to Gandalf in Isengard. Remember how this ensured Gandalf's escape from imprisonment.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Pawing through the trash behind the Pony
Reaction score
Here's an older thread, though not particularly useful on the subject:

Aldarion

Reaction score
As I recall, Radagast's purpose was, from the beginning, to protect the animals of Middle-Earth. So he likely stayed behind.

1stvermont

Reaction score
As I recall, Radagast's purpose was, from the beginning, to protect the animals of Middle-Earth. So he likely stayed behind.

I think that was his own doing more than his purpose.

indeed, of all the istari, one only remained faithful.... for Radgast, the fourth, become envenomed of the many beast and birds that dwelt in Middle-earth, and forsook elves, men and spent his days among the wild creatures.”
-Unfinished tales The Istari

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Considering Radagast's very wide "research" into mushrooms, for a snake to bite him might have been far unhealthier for the snake than for him. I mean, a totally stoned snake isn't going to be very effective at hunting. Anyway, he'd probably give it a mild scolding, and then let it sleep off its delirium in some cage in his place.
(There was a snakebite joke involving the often acid-tongued comedian Don Rickles along these lines back in the 1960s or 1970s.)

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering Radagast's very wide "research" into mushrooms, for a snake to bite him might have been far unhealthier for the snake than for him. I mean, a totally stoned snake isn't going to be very effective at hunting. Anyway, he'd probably give it a mild scolding, and then let it sleep off its delirium in some cage in his place.
(There was a snakebite joke involving the often acid-tongued comedian Don Rickles along thee lines back in the 1960 or 1970s.)
So by LOTR, Radagast was probably all

Miguel

Reaction score
I saw a guy high on mushrooms once, dude was in the parking lot of a hospital and had no idea were the rest of his friends were at, they were supposedly high as well. Guy was laughin uncontrollably, i heard they puke sometimes after eating them yuck.

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
I saw a guy high on mushrooms once, dude was in the parking lot of a hospital and had no idea were the rest of his friends were at, they were supposedly high as well. Guy was laughin uncontrollably, i heard they puke sometimes after eating them yuck.
That's me having a stomach flu and being off my meds for a few days. XD

CL

Thread suggestions