🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

ReadWryt

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
I have a question for you:

How has the traffic changed on this board since the release of the FOTR?

Have you seen changes in the patterns of discussion?

Quantity? Quality?

Just curious.

JoA

Greymantle

Reaction score
Lol, I'm certainly not ReadWryt...but as for traffic, a lowly member such as myself can easily answer this question:
Around December 15, we had approximately 300 members. This Forum has existed since mid-August 2001, and the previous boards for several years before that.
We hit the one-month anniversary of the movie's release tomorrow, and the board is pushing 1500 members.
Go figure. ;)

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
WOW

Kinda figured a boost in numbers. But that is certainly overwhelming. There must be some inevitable hardware/software problems in light of the huge increase in traffic.

It's not like everyone didn't see it coming I guess...

JoA

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
I'm surely not our dear Moderator either :rolleyes:, but would be mos' interested as one of them near twelve hundred newcomers to hear/read ReadWryt's response to the "quality" / "patterns of discussion" elements of the original question from the Witch-King's mop-man (whose sly tongue-in-cheek tag-line I quite admire); lay thy eloquence upon us, Master Anderson!

Last edited:

Aerin

Halfway out the door
Reaction score
Quantity of posts: HUGE!! The jump in the forum has been enormous.

Quality of posts: I won't say, but go look in the movie forum.

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I doubt that there have been TOO many software problems. The board was probably made to handle 32,766 members (or more!), and probably around 2,147,483,648 posts. This software has been out long enough that no one needs to worry about severe problems.

There certainly are many, many more posts. Unfortunately, as suggested, the quality has gone down.

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
not to be sniffy about it

Are we given to understand then, that to remark "I won't say, but look in the movie forums" is to suggest "already" that the quality of discussion has gone down? Just trying to make sure that I'm following the "unsaid" antiFAD implication correctly. . .

"ReadWryt!" "ReadWryt!" "ReadWryt!" "ReadWryt!"

(the chanting continued, ever louder and warmer)

"ReadWryt!" "ReadWryt!" "ReadWryt!" "ReadWryt!"

Last edited:

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm

I wonder if there will be another rush once the Second movie comes out.

I wonder also how did 1200 people find this forum.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Yes, I would suppose all the illiterate movie-geeks hurrying to catch up with the latest 'fad' (blech) would search for Movie Forums specifically, not ones that deal with the immensely wide spectrum of Tolkien's works. Hmm, hmm, hmm. :)

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
Why did so many people come here? Well, to start off Mr. A-P owns it and promotes it through www.thelordoftherings.com . Secondly because in many search engines if you type Tolkien and discussion, the forum will come up before a lot of others.

(P. S. Don't worry about my above numbers-only geeks know them)

R

ReadWryt

My dear Master of Sanitary Maintenance!!

It's so nice to see the name of the fastidious one again.

Ok, Quanity of posts. Nearly daunting...Although I cringe at what I would be doing with three fewer moderators in here. It's been a massive growth spurt, and that means lots of posts and lots of opinions. But let me say this...

The number of members is going to be greatly reduced when we do Spring Cleaning in a few weeks. There were a great many people who though that this was an answering service run by some philanthropist for handling the questions of people who had seen the movie but not read the books. When it became apparent that they might have to PARTICIPATE in something to get answers, they left and never looked back. There are also those who left when they could not figure out how to use the forum. (No lie, you have no idea how many people clicked the "Report this post" thinking they were replying to the post they had just read.) Then there are the odd trouble makers who went to the trouble to start an account just to post Advertising about on the Forum, but for the most part a goodly number of people signed up and lost interest. I expected this from people who complained that the movie was *GASP!* 3 hours long!

With the influx of new members comes the same old problems with Post Quality, only more of it. Alas it is nearly impossible without straight out asking if a new member is even logging on from a country that SPEAKS english, so when I see lack of capitalization, punctuation of spelling skills, I pretend they are loggin on from Upper-south Mongolia and that I should be thankfull The Lord of the Rings was even PUBLISHED in their language.

It seems like there has been a sharp rise in the number of people getting on each other's nerves and the odd flame war has broken out now and then. These, in the past, seemed to go away with a few words of advice from me about the fragility of Member Accounts, but with so much going on, it's almost like a crowded night club...one needs to be everywhere at once to see the trouble starting, or else hope that you can see the arms flailing in the air and hear the furnature crashing before anyone gets seriously hurt. Once more I BEG all members to, even if you are not involved, PLEASE use the "Report this post" button if you see any knuckleheads headed into a Flame War...

Trafic is ASTOUNDINGLY higher. Remember that, for the first couple of weeks after the movie was released, there were a great many Guests on the Forum at the same time who would not have shown up in the Member Account statistics. Our server was really breathing hard for the first few days after the film was released, and this site accounted for the vast majority of the traffic in the bandwidth that Mr. Pence purchases from his provider. I have not exact numbers at this time, but I could probably ask our buddy Glen to mail me the numbers for the truely geeky amoungst us who thrive on such relatively useless statistics. (Gawd I LOVE Geeky Statistics!! Data are the stuff man..)

MikeB is partly correct. Because there is a link at TheLordOfTheRings.com we got a massive boost in traffic. But then a great number of folks came wandering in because they heard our esteemed Webmaster interviewed on the BBC, CBC or other venue, or else because they participated in the CNN Chat session with him or read one of the many quotations in publications that asked him about the movie...all of which mentioned TheLordOfTheRings.com, so massive media exposure from publications like National Geographic and others gave the traffic a boost.

In short sir, it has been generally the same as allways, just more of it...

Gloer

Reaction score
?!

National Geographic?

What the ...

Has all the real Earth been discovered and mapped so they have need to explore Middle-Earth?

By the way: Who is our Webmaster?

R

ReadWryt

Gloer,

National Geographic asked our Webmaster to give some assistance in support for their Television Special "The Lord of the Rings: Beyond the movie". They will also probably be adding a copy of TheLordOfTheRings.com on the DVD of the special and apparently will be setting their crackerjack top-notch Cartographers loose on making a high quality Map of Middle-earth for an upcomming article in the Magazine. *I* was hoping that they could send some folks down to New Zealand and do an article about Middle-earth as though they had sent a team of reporters to the actual place...cover it as they would any place on the planet today. THAT would have been really nifty!

(The special was great BTW, for any who did not see it. If it whos up on the shelves of your local Video Rental place it's worth seeing. The bulk of it was biographical about Tolkien and the editing was especially nice in that they were able to use clips from the movie to punctuate aspects of the Professor's life. It really went into some detail with interviews of folks who knew the author, and examined the things that most influenced Tolkien in the creation of Middle-earth.)

Beorn

In the shadows
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt whether they'd send someone down. The photographer typically spends 700-1300 ROLLS of 36 exposure film. One article probably ends up costing $10,000 (factor in a guide, film, developing, travel, shipping, lights, generators, gas, lodging, et al)

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
Just what I was curious about...thanks

ReadWryt,

As usual, your response has been most informative. I thank you for your opinion.

Without trying to sound snotty, I kind of figured on the increase as did most. Simply being a relative newcomer prior to the release of the movie I have seen a change in the nature of the discussions since mid Dec. and I must admit that although the more "hard-core" discussions are outweighed by the newbie stuff the h-c threads can still be found in plenty.

Overall, I believe it to be a good thing. A little education and knowledge from the "wiser" members to the newbies does nothing less than entrench the Tolkien's work into our own common culture. Gee wouldn't that be horrible if we came into work one day to:

"Hail, and well met Janitor!"
"Tis long since we have spoke boss"
"Janitor, I have a matter I need your counsel on."
"Let us parlay a bit over a noon sup m'lord. As the young fools have upchucked their own supping on the eve of the new year and it needs attention lest our area take on the odour of Orc-droppings."
"So be it noble Sir..."

Yeah, that would be a shame!

The more participation on the boards and the more the actual story, and characters and not the mere movie glamour that make it into peoples mind the better...IMHO.

JoA

**Although he has not carried a sword for a number of years and now carries a mop instead, and knowing it of the little value that it is, JoA ponders on dropping to a knee and offering the handle of his mop to the moderator. ...Maybe another day...**

**The Janitor instead bows low and takes his leave of ReadWryt.**

Valar

King of Gondor
Reaction score
I came to this forum in janurary at the same time as the influx of movie lovers, so i think people just thought of me and one of them, when i really i didn't really like the movie and i have been reading tolkiens work for over 10 years. Just a bad coincidence really. What was it like here before the movie lovers came? I wish i found out about this earlier.

Thread suggestions