🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Recipe For Power!

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
At one point well into the Fourth Age, in the southeastern portion of the Misty Mountains, there was a moderately well-off village of Woodmen. It was a quiet, dusty, lightly fortified place. The sentries were typically those of the intelligence level that could happily smile and do their jobs, content with the fact that if a suicidal Orc happened to wander by, they could be praised for killing it and saving their children from its assumed by them to be mindless hatred of everything that moved.

With the increasingly safer travel conditions due to the human drive to tame every aspect of the world around them, the place had a decent amount of shops offering passable quality products to all travellers. Besides the occassional foreigner, the most commonly found excitement to be had was in listening to the tall tales of magical beings sighted by the fortunate hunter. Within this town, there was an inn and pub bearing a sign that very simply proclaimed, "Inn & Pub". That is probably the only thing about this town that concerns your characters.

If one were to enter the pub at this very moment, that one would be greeted by a young man behind a counter with a disinterested gaze. To an achingly evident wall, a fat Dwarf would be pinning a high-quality piece of paper (obviously not made in this village) with a simple but well made dagger (could have been made anywhere). The Dwarf would then stand in front of the thing, looking critically at it and mumbling something about the lack of style in the handwriting. What is written on it --->

"To All Adventurers, Explorers, Fortune-Seekers, Treasure-Hunters, And Conscientious Individuals:

Salutations from the Craftsmen of Trahald's Itinerant Armoury, Apothecary, And Toyshop! We have received Requests from several Famous Dwarven Families to Find and Retrieve Ancient Heirlooms. We seek all Able-bodied, Enthusiastic, Lore-fascinated, and Reliable individuals who are willing to Assist us in our travel to an abandoned Dwarven city, our Gathering of any salvageable Relics, and our eventual Transportation of our finds to the Dwarves in Aglarond.

Request the location of Trahald from the innkeeper for details."

The Dwarf is just about to take the note back down (probably to rewrite it) when a sharp ---> "Boffin!" makes him stiffen and turn. Down some hall, a black-skinned, pantalooned, and bandana-sporting corsair of Umbar looking guy steps out from a room and continues (he wasn't trying to scare the poor Dwarf, only trying to get his attention), "Are you finished?" After cutting his gaze past the Boffin (the Dwarf) and onto the note ---> "Good job. Leave that one. I don't want to have to get Tolir to write it. The handwriting of a Dwarf reassures our customers that we are quality craftsmen. You really should stop practicing your elf writing. It has no use. We will be out for supper later. Wait here and try to look interesting."

Boffin was probably looking meekly at his boss's feet as the guy spoke, but as he entered his room again, he'd probably toss a sigh of annoyance out and grab a seat not too far from the sign. The reminder of his upcoming supper lightened his mood enough to allow him to stop worrying about the thick and achingly obviously Dwarven strokes used to make the note and resume practicing his Sindarin, probably.

Aside from the innkeeper and Boffin, the only other visable types inside would be an older but still sturdy looking bartender, an equally aged waitress (those two are presumably the young dude's parents), and a large, surly, yet gentle looking Woodman hunter talking together at a corner of the bar. The hunter would alternate between fiddling with his bow and nursing his drink.

He'd be regaling the other two with a tall tale of how he barely survived an encounter with a giant eagle and how pleased he would be if they visited soon to see the size of his new trophy. The exaggeration was probably based on the fact that he was a bit miffed by the travellers' presence and the consequential shifting of attention to them. Not that he's full of rage, mind you. He's probably just as interested in them and wouldn't want to admit it so readily.

Ingwë

Creeping Death
Reaction score
Alanor left Emyn Arnen in the spring. He was looking for adventures and places where he can help the native people. He has visited Rohan, Eriador.
He loaded up his horse and then he left the town. He went on along the old road that was used by many people. As a young man he had traveled to Minas Tirith twice. But now more people were traveling from Emyn Arnen to Minas Tirith and Eriador. His parents were in the town; they didn't want their son to leave Emyn Arnen but they couldn't stop him.

Alanon was riding alone but he could hear the voices of other people who used this road. The weather was hot though it was spring. He rode near many green lawns and beatuful hills. He didn't stop all day. That man didn't need rest but his horse needed. It was sunset when Alanon stopped riding. He dismounted and sat down on the green grass. He decided to went away fron the road because he wanted to be alone. Alanor didn't move till the night come. Of the furure he thought and of his life. Then he had a dinner. The Moon rised. It was beautiful.

Sadness filled him as the thought of another friendless night. Never very open. He grimaced at his inner voice, then rose and began walking. He loves walking in the night. It was a passion to him. He watched the stars hours and hours. While he was watching them he thought about the next day. He must reach Minas Tirith and then what he will do? Going to the mountains? Going to Eriador? He must decide what he will do soon... Finally he was sleeping.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Aiden much never went into town. Infact, he felt quite out of sorts here in front of the Inn. He paced back and forth near the front porch as he attempted to gurd up his courage to go inside. He had a small amount of money but it was the fact that he might have to speak to someone that he did not know. Silently, he cursed himself for being such a coward.

First, he tried to reason with himself. Just go in and ask someone what the post says. Surely there is someone inside that will help me. Come on, it won't be so bad. A woman...ask a woman to help me. Yes, I could ask a woman. No...yes...an older woman. I shall ask a older woman what it says. Will she think me a fool? Wait...I am outside pacing back and forth...You-are-a-fool! Ok Aiden, you can do this.

He took in a deep breath and stepped up to the front door. Several men were toking on their pipes and talking. Aiden did not listen to them. His focus was on getting through the door. He moved up and just before his hand touched the handle, it opened and a very rotund man stepped outside and headed off of the porch. Aiden recoiled his hand and stepped aside with his head down. He was about to head back off the porch when a man and a woman walked up the porch steps as he was about to move down them. He backed up, lowered his head and stepped to the side once more.

His face grew hot and he became angry at himself. Just as he turned, the door opened and a woman held it for a young boy. She looked up at Aiden, smiled, and held the door for him. He wore a confused look on his face but something inside of him told him that she was holding it for him. Nervously, he stepped inside and the door closed behind him. The Inn was dark, smoky, and filled with people and conversation. For a time, he simply stood near the door with his head down and unsure of what to do next.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
By this time, Trahald, Boffin, and Tolir had already eaten their supper, and Boffin was the only one of the three left in the common room again. Since so many people had been in and out recently, and none had tried to contact them, Trahald had ordered Boffin to sit there and advertise loudly at anyone who looked able to accompany them. The Dwarf sat in a chair uncomfortably pointed at the door and tried to think of a few good lines to use on people besides just ---> "Hey, read the sign, please."

When a young and especially hesitant looking human walked in, Boffin waited to see if the guy was just there to drink or if he would notice the advertisement on the wall. Since the guy stood there for at least half a beat, he then determinedly marched up to the guy and stuck his hand out to shake. "Hello, there! I'm Boffin, of Trahald's Itinerant Armoury, Apothecary, And Toyshop. I'm the toymaker. Um, would you be interested in helping us with a job for some Dwarves in Aglarond?" While waiting for an answer or for the guy to brush past him, he wondered if he had made a good Dwarvish impression.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
The boy nervously shook the dwarfs hand however, he never looked him in the eye. The dwarf's hand was very course and his grip felt like iron. With his other hand he reached up and pulled the hair from his face. "Hello...Mr....Mr...Boffin? My name is Aiden."

The young man stole a look or two into the dwarf's face. "Do you...speak...of that writing there?" The young man asked.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Boffin released Aiden's hand to turn around and frown at the note on the wall. Assuming that the kid can't read the thing because it isn't pretty enough in Boffin's opinion ---> "Oh, yes. I am really sorry about how that turned out, but that's how the boss wants it to look, I'm afraid. It's asking for help on our trip to Moria. Pretty much what I just asked you about. So how about it, Aiden? It would be a good chance for a young guy like you to get out of the mountains and see some great Dwarven cities!" During his answer, he would be attempting to stear the guy towards a table with chairs.

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
Maya walked up to the pub door, and hesitated a moment before opening it. She wanted to go in, but she just hoped it wasn't too full; she hated large groups. Too many people...she shuddered, squared her shoulders, and pushed the door open. The pub inside was dark, and there were, thankfully, only a few patrons. She shuffled up to the bar, keeping her eyes down, and, rummaging through her belt pouch, came up with a silver coin.
“What can I get for this?” She asked no one in particular. Her bag was already unwelcomely light, but she was hungry and tired.

Last edited:

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
The older bartender, pleased at the unusual business of the night, looked at the coin and grinned in a friendly sort of way. "A hot meal and a warm drink, at the least! If you're tired, we've got a few rooms to offer... By the way, is there something important about to happen in these parts? I've been seeing more activity here than what's normal. Maybe it's just me. This town's getting a lot bigger, these days."

Boffin watched the lady come in, kept his eyes on the kid, but looked for an opening to speak with her. Just trying to follow his boss's orders, hoping to earn his keep.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Just before the Dwarf moved away from the young man, Aiden softly said, "Sure...yes...I would like to go, if such an adventure will take me away from here. What...what must I do?"

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
Maya smiled shyly. "I'm not sure what's happening, but I'll thank you for some food," she told the bartender. "Whatever you've got." Looking around, she noticed the sign on the far wall. "One second." She got up carefully and crossed the room, standing on tip-toes to read the sign. Her eyes widened, and she tapped a few fingers on her chin. There would be money in it, for sure, but it seemed risky. I'll decide after some sleep, she mused. And a meal. She seated herself at the bar again, and looked up at the bartender, twisting the coin through her fingers.

Last edited:

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Used to living on the road for so long, Aiden's question forced Boffin to stand still for a bit while he wondered about it. Said pretty confusedly ---> "Hummm... Uh, you should pack your bags? Yes, pack your bags. Bring a lot of travelling clothes. We'll be working in the mountains, at first." Getting over his confusion, Boffin smiled at the kid reassuringly and continued ---> "We will definitely take you far from here. You might want to bring your money, for when we get back to Aglarond. The merchants there are very good! Oh! Why don't you talk to my boss? That would probably be the best place for advice. He's in his room. Come on, I'll introduce you." After trying to remember something and ending up leaning over at the inn's newest arrival quizzically, he decided that he would advertise at her later as he led Aiden back towards the rooms.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
alright. she's really almost human but with a wee bit of a twist. just stick with me.

Opening the door silently, gray eyes took in the faces of most of the guests before a darkly dressed woman slipped in and walked towards one of the empty tables. A bit of paper tacked to a post was glanced at but let pass as she had interest for only one thing just now. “What sort of drink does a place like this sell?” She spoke only loud enough to be heard by whoever was working at the bar a little way from where she was just sitting down.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
The bartender looked at the coin skeptically this time but loudly ordered his son to bring out some stew for the lady, who he then nodded his head with thanks at. "We've got more, if you want. You might want to save a bit for a room, if you haven't got a place to bed down tonight, though. You've also got breakfast to think about, miss." After the stew came out and his first customer was settled enough for him to listen to anyone else, he raised a hand in welcome at the newest arrival. "Welcome, traveller! We've got a decent selection, I'd say. We're very proud of our beer, though."

At the door to Trahald's room, Boffin and Aiden ran into a rather huge man that was leaning on the wall outside. Boffin tossed a ---> "Hey, Tolir. Going to introduce the boss to someone." while the big guy nodded serenely. Inside (if the Aiden guy even ended up following the Dwarf), the roguish looking merchant named Trahald sat on a bed and happily counted money.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
A hooded man walked into the bar. He had a sword at his side and a weather-worn cloak. He like this place it was usually quite. He went to the bar and asked for something to drink. He looked around the bar and saw a sign tacked onto the wall but thought it could wait to be read, read it in the morning. He asked the bartender if there where any rooms avalible and there were. He went up to his room and went to sleep.

Last edited:

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
Maya took the bowl of soup gratefully, and smiled shyly at the tender's son. "Thank you", she whispered as she slid the coin across the bar, and dug in with a will. She hadn't eaten for almost a day, and the hot chunky soup slid down easily. Maya drew her legs up underneath the stool upon which she sat, and looked around. She was comfortable with all the people in her small town, but this kind of atmosphere was foreign.

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
Aiden just nodded and looked down at his pack. All that he owned was tucked away within the small, brown sack that layed at his feet. Though he was unsure of what yet lied before him, anyplace was better then here he thought. When the dwarf's attentions drifted to another who commented upon the sign, he picked up his bag, and moved up to the bar. He was hungry and smelled the rich aroma of spices from the kitchen. He dropped his bag down next to a stool and sat upon it. "Stew please." He said with a grin. "And...ale." He added unsuredly." He looked over and nodded to the woman that sat nearby him.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
The bartender retrieved another bowl of stew and one serving of ale for the young man after raising an eyebrow at his awkward hesitation. The guy then politely busied himself elsewhere when he saw his customers attempting to converse.

Meanwhile, Boffin noticed that Aiden hadn't followed him back to the room. Trahald looked up to see his employee checking behind himself with confusion, then shooed him away with the instruction of continuing to advertise for some help. Boffin shook his head, tossed a farewell at Tolir, and found a seat in the common room. After not an especially long time of staring at the door and staring at the backs of the customers, he finally broke down and stood up to glare at the note again.

Last edited:

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Blinking tiredly, the dark head shook lightly as thoughts were sent away, bring time back to mind. "hm? oh. Yes. Beer then. Cold." Shadowed eyes looked around distractedly. "Put a dish of meat and bread with that and you might actually get your money." An odd grin touched her lips and faded away without even a moments pause.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
At that, the experienced bartender tossed a forced smile at the lady and sent his son off to the task. When the expected refreshment was set before her, though, he gave her is best knowing look. "Look here. I've been cheated out of payments by foreigners before. You wouldn't want me to suspect you of being so rude, though, right? Enjoy that food, now, miss. We've worked hard to make it for everyone." He then shambled off to check how much money they had earned so far. After finding that it had been an unusually active day, he smiled at his customers and firmly reminded himself to watch his stash carefully.

His wife, who had been studying the customers for a while from one end of the room until she picked up the guy's distress, drifted through them until she reached Boffin. "You're here to hire workers, aren't you? Well, it's not that I don't like the business you're bringing in, but could you try to clear these hooligans out quickly? They're making everybody nervous." The Dwarf whirled from his sign, expecting to see that several bandits had entered and had been getting a bit rowdy while he was distracted, but when he saw that practically nothing had changed yet, he raised a confused eyebrow at the waitress. "Uh, alright. I'll try?" He watched the overly cautious and apparently super sensitive lady trot back over to the bar with a satisfied look on her face, then sighed and headed for the bar, too, since that seemed to be the only place that people had congregated.

Trying to make a noticeable show, probably talking directly to several of the customers as he situated himself on top of a stool. ---> "Ugh. Oof! Ah! Nice night, huh? Yes. Hm. Nothing like the hospitality of the Woodmen to comfort you before heading back out to those mountains, eh? Oh, that reminds me! Me and my partners are looking for some extra hands. Hi, Aiden! Yeah, we got a job a while back from some old Dwarven families. It's just a simple delivery, really. Only reason we're looking for help is because of the volume. We're covering the costs for rides and carts and uh, food...hm...what else? Well, if you're looking for work, my boss is planning to be generous. We're looking to head out soon, though. If you've got the time, you should stop by our room. First one on the left!"

With a heavy and not even halfway concealed gasp, he stopped talking, eyes hopeful. The waitress let loose a small chuckle and graciously offered him a beer.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions