🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Recipe For Power!

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
He looked up from his glass. He was about to respond to her when he heard the Dwarf speak. He turned around and listened to him. "Well, if it means getting away from here, I am indeed interested...First door on the left...got it." he replied quickly. He set down a few coppers on the counter and turned back around. "Hello mylady." His words came uneasily, she could tell he was somewhat shy however as he had been addressed. It was only polite to answer. An obvious credit to his mother. He stepped off the stool and moved away toward the stairs, his bag in hand.
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Maya swallowed a gulp of her soup and her initial fear along with it. The boy was obviously as nervous and unused to this as she was; she looked after him as he headed towards the stairs. As she scraped the bottom of the bowl with her spoon to collect the last of the broth, she caught the tender's eye. "May I have a room for the night?"
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
The bartender's captured eye nudged the rest of his brain into action in time for him to listen to the lady's question. He snatched Aiden's payment as he turned with a smile. "Of course, miss. We've several rooms still unused, tonight. You can pay us in the morning, if you have to."

Boffin turned on his stool to wave towards the general direction of his boss's room, for Aiden's benefit. "Go on. I'm supposed to stay down here, anyway."
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
"Thank you sir." Maya pushed her bowl back across the bar, and stood up carefully. Adjusting the pouch's position on her belt, she headed up the stairs to sleep -really sleep- for the first time in too long.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune couldn't get to sleep. He had tried but could find none. He decided to go down to the Common Room again and have a drink to see if that would help. On the way to the bar he saw a young woman walk the other way but left her alone. When he got his drink he looked around and saw a dwalf wghich he prosumed had writen the sign. He went over and said, "Where you the dwalf that is looking for people to help you find treasures of your people?"
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Since he had been concentrating on his free beer just then, Boffin was surprised when the guy started talking to him. A bit of shame (mostly in himself, for not having the auditory skills of a good Dwarf) might have been noticed on his face before he answered. "Oh, um, why, yes! Are you interested in the job? Please, sit down." He indicated a stool next to him while he set his beer back down.
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Chewing thoughtfully on a bite of bread dipped in the thick stew, Tala half listened to the dwarf's little speech. A simple delivery is it..? hm... No loss on my part for asking. She thought to herself.

Scooping the last of the broth from the bottom of the bowl and draining the cold beer, she pushed the dishes aside, picked her pack up and walked silently towards the appointed room. Two coins having been left under the heavy cup so as not to be too easily taken by the wrong hands.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
To any who might have been heading there or just walking past, the first door on the left was guarded by one of those huge, half-scary, and half-harmless looking sorts of humans who was fiddling with a pretty large war axe as he mumbled to himself. If anyone didn't take the trouble to attempt stealth, he would have held his axe in a more ready position and look at them dully, forgetting to reassure them with any polite banter.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
"Oh, sorry. My name's Boffin. It sounds like you're eager to get going. Good! As soon as we can find a few more interested people, we'll be heading out. Just rest until then, guess. If you need to know any details about the trip, you should probably talk to my boss, though. Follow that young guy. He's headed there. I'm really just here to cause interest."
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Nearing the guard at the door, a cool glance measured him long before he was aware of the second figure walking his way. Aiden, seeming to have second thoughts about approaching the guard, had stopped in the hall. His back turned to her, Tala looked him over quickly before brushing past.

The guard, remembering that that was what he was, fumbled with the large ax when he caught sight of the darkly dressed woman. About to say something intimidating, his mouth snapped shut and he simply stepped aside as he took note of the slight curl at the corner of her mouth. Briefly nodding at him, Tala only paused long enough to open the door and enter the room, leaving the boy to fend for himself.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Just before the door was shut and the guard realized, Aiden turned and ducked in. His brisk movement caused him to bump into Tala and push her forward a step. Aiden was abhorredly embarrassed by what he did. "I'mm..err...sorry." He said meekishly. His face took on a bright shade of pink. He moved around her and into the room. The door was shut loudly behind them and the guard mumbled something unpleasent about the young man.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Since he hadn't heard Boffin's heavy footsteps and knew that Tolir (the guard) would have said something before entering, Trahald looked up sharply and inquisitively as the door opened. He glared at the slammed door, decided to reprimand Tolir for being so rude to his guests, then disarmingly grinned at the company while tossing a blanket over the money that he had been counting. "Welcome, fellow travellers! I am Trahald." He stood to offer his hand to them. After getting it shaken or not, while offering them available spots with a gesture. ---> "Have a seat, please. I take it that you two are interested in joining us on our little trek through the mountains, then? Do you have any questions? I wish to leave as soon as possible, so if you need any help with your preparations, just ask."

Outside, Tolir decided that he had only been rude to Aiden and slammed the door because he had been mad at himself for not spotting the lady very quickly. He was usually absent-minded but not rude. :rolleyes:
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Tala had not been happy to have the boy run into her, pushing her forward as she tried to take in the lay of the room. Luckily for him though, she was in the right mood as to except, and almost enjoy, the stammered words and look on the boy's face.

Catching a moments glimpse of the coins, her attention was swiftly brought to the man as he offered his greeting. She only tilted her head slightly, acting as though she had taken no notice of the out held hand. "Tala." She stated simply. Finding a place to sit, she leaned back. One knee crossed over the other and a calm, almost relaxed look on her face. "I may be interested." Her voice sounded only as strongly as was needed to be heard. "Sounds like it might be important. What's in it for those that help?"
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald focused on Tala with an honestly confused eyebrow raised. "What makes you think that the job has any particular importance? If it was, I am certain that the Dwarves would have retrieved their own treasures, by now. No. I initiated the contacts. I organized the deal. It never hurts to make a few friends, I say. Besides, the Dwarves will be very grateful just to have their dusty heirlooms back."

After an especially unprofessional grin, he straightened and headed back to business. "I am offering a substantial amount for the services of any experience that would be useful. What I need are strong workers and experienced travellers that are capable of following orders. If you have seen combat and could be considered a competent soldier, we may require the use of such talents. Nothing to be alarmed about, though. We know the land and will have the advantage of numbers if we encounter any hostility. That is highly improbable, of course. Anyone who can't ride a horse will have to stay in one of the wagons we'll be using to haul the artifacts back. Otherwise, you'll ride your own or the ones we provide."
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune followed the young man but he went through a door which was guarded. He walked up to the door but the guard didn't seem to notice he was there until he spoke.

He was let through the door and welcomed.
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
"I have no horse but am quite able to ride anything that will let me, and some that might not. I've never been one to get along too well with most horses..." Turning her head towards the door, she watched as another entered.

Not giving more then her usually greeting, her attention turned back to Trahald. "I can fight. But prefer to avoid it when I can. How long might such a journey be? Weeks? Months?..." Tala asked almost off-handedly.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
"I have two horses and I can lend you one if you would like." said Majimaune as he spoke for the first time. "I will fight if need be and hunt whenever needed but that is a long and weirisome task. The reason I have two horses is because a friend that I travelled with died and asked me to take care of his horse for him. And so I have." He pauses then thinks of something eles to say. "How long will we be gone and where are we going?"
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Only the ones who had been especially observant would have noticed Trahald's downward glance when he was asked where they'd be headed, but he'd cover it with a quick answer. ---> "From our previous visits to the area, it won't take more than a couple of days to get there. Once we get settled, it will all depend on how fast we can work. Most of the exploration has been done already. The place has been picked over through the years, but there are many passages that have been cut off, which we will have to clear. We leave as soon as the wagons are full. Besides that, all we have to do is get to Aglarond, where my contacts are. The last leg of the journey will not be hard. A bit through the mountains, and the rest in Rohan."

Trahald then sat back down and leaned back to make them feel at ease. "And again, I don't expect to run into any fights. It just never hurts to be careful, right? Now, I am sorry to hear of the death of your friend, but if you need someone to care for his horse, I would be happy to buy it from you. Since Tala here would probably prefer it, she can ride in one of the wagons, and we can save your horse for another." He smiled at them both, with an obvious look that seemed to say something like ---> "How's that? Anything else?"
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
The idea of riding in a wagon like a child did little to attract her interest but she said little about it as there were still other options. "One could also walk at least some of the way, correct? Or do you think a scout to be more then you need..." One light movement brought out a little dagger that spun once or twice before being tucked back without a sound.
 

Thread suggestions

Top