🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Recipe For Power!

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald smiled sardonically at the display but decided that giving her a look of surprise and interest would be more useful. "Yes, one could walk, if one wished. You will have a place in a wagon, though, for when you desire rest, or if we are about to leave you behind. You are welcome to make yourself feel useful by taking the job, of course. As I have said, we know the road well. And a business like mine is very useful in making contacts, even among what passes for civilization in these mountains, if you take my meaning. A scout blundering ahead might make them think that I don't trust them. I don't, of course, but I would not inform them of that so blatantly." After a reassuring smile, he'd straighten and clasp his hands together with finality. "So, do I have a crew?"
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Aiden was certain the man had lied, or at the very least, he did not speak the whole truth. Instead, it seemed to him that his entire spiel was half truths. However, this mattered little to Aiden. He HAD to get out of here. As he began to speak, his face turned again bright red and he felt very conscious of all that were in the room. "I...I can ride very good." He said awkwardly. "And...I can use a bow and such...like...hunting." His words trailed off at the end. He half looked to the floor the entire time. "Um...what, I mean...errr..what does it pay sir?" He said as he played with a bit of mud near the toe of his boot. His eyes gradually made their way up to him.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald looked at the young man as if he was pleased that the guy had finally spoken up. Internally, though, he was grinding his teeth at the kid's shyness and hesitancy. "For a strong young lad like yourself? Enough to keep you comfortable until the next job comes along. Who knows? We may even find you some more work, after this job. As I said, I will be generous. This is a very important deal, for us. I want everyone to be happy with what they get." He'd probably quote a generous sum (for what he has said that the job entails, at least) at him. OOC: I would use numbers and things, but I am not an expert on the currencty of Middle Earth. IC: He then turned to Majimaune. "So, how about letting him use your second horse? Forgive me, but I don't know either of your names yet."
 
Last edited:

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Keeping quiet, Tala caught Tarahald's contradiction and wondered what it was that she was getting herself into.

Having overlooked the boy tell now, a quizzical and half amused tip of her head let her look right at his downcast face. "How old are you boy?" He had no trouble hearing the slightly softer tone in her voice. "If you can't even speak for yourself, why is it that you think you could be of any help to anyone?" Leaning forward, her gaze stayed on him, ignoring nearly all else as she waited for any sign of an answer.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald, having no problem with interrupting the the lady's pursuit for information, stood up to object. Even though he could detect her softer tone, he was of the opinion that defending the kid would make him look good and make the kid easier to use. In his best mediating voice ---> "There is no need to antagonize him, Tala. Even if he is a bit shy, he looks healthy enough to be a reliable worker. By the way, we will bring our own provisions, so hunting will not be necessary. It is a waste of energy. If we find that we need more, one of the wagons can easily be sent back here. Now, if that is all, I shall see you three tomorrow. After I hear your names and can make a deal on the price of a horse."
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
"Master Trahald, if I was trying to intimidate or antagonize anyone, there would be no reason to put yourself in the way. Would there?" Rolling her head, darkened eyes landed on his face for a moment but drifted away as she leaned back once more. "No, I only wished to hear why someone such as he might want to come along. Can a person not ask?" Once more her face relaxed and became fully calm again. Looking briefly back to the young man, Tala shook her head very lightly and leaned further back against the wall.

One arm folded across her lap, the thumb of her right hand lightly brushing across her chin and bottom lip, she almost seemed to be far away. Those that bothered looking could see the lighter, almost gray highlights that looked to catch the fire-light slightly differently from the rest of her hair. 'Only a week since last... There's time. Yes. Why not go...' She thought to herself.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald let out a small sigh of exasperation, which he cut short to shrug and assume a thoughtful expression. "Ah. You only wanted to know what his motivation for coming was, then. I understand. Forgive me for interfering. Why someone chooses to work for me is really none of my concern. I was merely ready trust that what he says about his experience is true. His skills are a good enough reason for me to want him with us. You can get to know anyone that I hire, tonight or when we are on the road."
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
"I am sorry for my rudeness, I am Majimaune Leganimdok. Yes the boy may use my horse, his name is Yhym.
"I am curious to when we are to leave because talk can make me ancious and that wouldnt be good." He got up and started walking around the room and looking into everyones eyes to try to see what the person was like behind them.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald turned from the lady to watch with an eyebrow raised as Majimaune walked around the room. "Majimaune, then. Your generosity is greatly appreciated. We will leave as soon as possible. You should save your strength for the journey. Buy what you must while we are here. I will find you when it is time to depart. If we are lucky, we could leave tomorrow." He pulled back when he felt like he was being probed by the guy, but he had no problem with looking steadily back.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
"I shall retire then and gather my strength for the journey." Majimaune said goodbye and then left the room and went to the room he had already been given.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Thankful that the taskmaster defended him, he made sure to avoid eye contact with the woman. He had no wish to answer questions and he much preferred silence to open conversation. He to moved out of the room and back down to the Innkeep and bar. "I...I guess I 'll need a room the boy said to the Innkeeper. Relunctantly, he thumbed into a small, leather pouch. He held it close to his face and fingered the few coppers that he had. He never did know how to count but he also knew what he had was very few. Nervously, he sat them down on the counter. The Innkeeper stopped and looked down at them, then up at the boy. The boy stared at the coins a moment. A key was placed next to the coins and the coins were removed from the table by quick fingers. "Last room on the left son." He said coldly. Aiden picked up the iron key and looked at the Dwarf. "Thank you." He said softly in mid stride toward the stairs.
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
The last of the guests to leave the room, Tala stood and looked towards a well darkened window. "I'll go along." Not looking towards Trahald, she nodded shortly when he told her where to be when. Knowing all she needed -or knew she was was going to at this time- the dark figure simply turned and walked from the room.

Stars glittered softly against the deep black velvet of the sky. A cool breath of air tossed a loose strand of hair across a closed face. Even thought the summer night was warm, a shiver ran through her as what moonlight there was touched her eyes. The fingers of her right hand brushing and turning the strand of silver beads at her collar.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Later that night, Boffin was replaced by Tolir in the common room, so that if anyone interesting showed up, someone would be there to advertise. In the morning, Trahald left to buy supplies, advertise his own, and pick up a few more workers. They had pretty much checked out of their room but were prepared to stay another night, if they had to. Boffin and Tolir sat at a table in the common room, speaking quietly over a large breakfast. Boffin looked proudly at the newest sign that he had pinned to the wall. It said the same things as the old one, but it was written a lot more delicately and had translations in three elf languages. Tolir kept up his end of their conversation (it was about a rival peddler) but couldn't stop craning his head to see what was taking Trahald so long.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
When Majimaune woke he went down to the Common Room to see if Boffin or Trahald where there. Boffin was and so was another. They where near a new sign which Majimaune admired. He went to Boffin and asked: "Do you remember me? I told you I was interested in the quest. I talked withTrahald and I was wondering if we were leaving today?"
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Boffin noticed the guy admiring his sign and allowed himself a humble smile. When Majimaune walked up and spoke to him, though, he had to look up from his food. "Hm? Oh, sorry. Yes, I think I remember you. Did Trahald answer all of your questions? You might as well sit down, unless you have business in town. We're just waiting for him to get back. He said that everything will be ready to go today, unless something unexpected happens."

Tolir turned from a window and looked the guy up and down, attempting to gauge how strong he was. "What is your interest in the job, if you don't mind my asking?"
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
"I will sit because I have no business in town." Majimaune sat and was quiet for a moment then said, "My interest in the job, well I do not call it a job, is I like adventure and meeting people I dont already know is good for me."
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Boffin perked up at the guy's reply. While beckoning to the waitress and indicating to Majimaune that she was coming ---> "I agree! Meeting new people has always made me a better person, at least. Ah, I remember leaving home for my first adventure! But then, I guess that it was bittersweet. Do you miss anyone while you're on this adventure?"

Tolir heard his answer but only gave a smile that suggested that he was thinking about when he was younger and still able to think that way.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Aiden gave a half smile to those that looked his way as he moved into the common room. He had his bag in hand, and his bow on his back. He also carried a large quiver with many arrows inside it. The fletchings were of bright colored feathers of many different birds. To his side hung a large, Kukri, and in his belt was a tiny sheath that he kept his very sharp knife in. He did not look tired, infact he looked very much awake. He stepped to the bar and took a seat. He did not speak and appeared to be waiting for something. His eyes glossed over as if he was far far away just then.

His face, arms and hands were filthy, he had just come from tilling a field by hand. He wiped his arm across his sweaty face as he looked toward the thatched hovel that he and his family called home. The motion did nothing but smear the dirt around. In the distance a large wagon led by 2 quarter horses stopped nearby to it. His young sister stood there motionless beside it, her head lowered and unmoving. There were two men atop it and it had just started to move away. As it did, he saw a large lump of cloth upon the ground just behind it. The wagon shook as it moved along the uneven, soft earth. Aiden looked on and followed it with his eyes. It turned and he soon saw what was inside it for it had no back. Other large parcels covered in cloth were laid inside it. He gulped hard and immediately felt sick to his stomach. For he now knew what those parcels were. He turned away from the scene into the cold wind. It started to rain lightly and the sky was dark and gray.
 
Last edited:

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Around that time, Trahald entered with several Woodmen. They were of the large and strong and naive type. Some kept themselves only a few paces away from Trahald, trying to look ready to jump into action. The others headed for the bar to buy one last item of refreshment before they left. Trahald, to Boffin and Tolir ---> "Looks like everyone but that Tala person is here. Tolir, go find her. Boffin, is that everyone? Are you sure that you didn't meet anyone else?"

Tolir heaved himself up and out of his chair, then plodded to the door that he was told the Tala person would be sleeping behind, which he knocked. The energy was up in the common room. The younger and more eager Woodmen were falling over themselves while trying to look useful and trying to hide their curiosity of the first Dwarf that they had ever seen, since they had never left the area before. The older ones were talking the ears off of the family that owned the inn, giving their last messages to friends.

Trahald, to everyone ---> "Pack up, everyone! We head out as soon as you're ready."
 
Last edited:

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
(OOC: Sorry guys.)'

Maya awoke to sun streaming through thin curtains, making a dancing pattern of light on the cold floor. She rubbed her eyes and heaved herself out of bed. She had nothing to wear but what she'd slept in, but she smoothed out the wrinkles and stretched a bit. The night's sleep had been much needed, and she felt gloriously refreshed.
As she descended the stairs to the common room, she noticed the bustle and remembered the sign that she'd read last night. I do need a job, she thought. I might as well. Approaching the tall man who stood with several others, she shyly asked "What exactly are you about?" She looked around nervously. "I can ride, and hunt, and I know letters. May I have a part in it?"
 

Thread suggestions

Top