🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Recipe For Power!

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
OOC: I see no large deal. Have fun.

IC: Trahald looked down to beam at the lady. "Why, of course you may! We are about riding to an ancient, abandoned Dwarven city, at the moment. A few of the older Dwarven families have hired us to retrieve their heirlooms. Just an easy delivery, with generous pay. Do you have a horse of your own?" While remaing especially receptive to the lady in front of him, he waved Boffin away from his food, motioning for him to begin herding the workers outside.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune finally heard when they where going and was pleased (he hated having to wait). When he was all ready he found the young man who he was lending his horse to and asked. "Are you still going to ride my horse or are you going to walk or whatever?"
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Maya shrugged sheepishly at Trahald. "I had a horse, m'lord, named Theon, but I had to kill him...is it okay, though? May I still come?"
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Trees cut at the girl as she ran stumbling past them. Tears glistened on her cheeks but her face looked strange in the early moonlight; set and intent, almost cold as she broke from the edge of the woods. A dark form moved swiftly behind her. Following and catching up to her the moment she reached the clearing. Echos of the low growl and brief shriek faded away into the night.

The few blankets not looking to have been tossed aside were wrapped around the still form; hair covering her face and spread in tangles on the stiff mattress. Stirring slowly, the sound of a fist hitting against the wooden door had started to pull Tala from her dreams. Growling quietly, she got up; brushed some of the knots from her hair, dressed and opened the door. Blinking against the light that met her, she glanced at Tolir for a moment before turning back to pick up a leather pack. Without speaking, Tala headed towards the common room and the little bunch that was gathered there.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Tolir nodded to Trahald as he entered with Tala. When he saw that everyone he knew was there, the ex-corsair spoke up. "Everyone is here. Mount your horses. If you have no horse, jump into one of the two wagons waiting outside." Before leading the way outside, he touched Maya's shoulder. "Yes, of course. I have several horses for this trip, one of which you could borrow. Not all of these Woodmen can ride one. Let me show you to him." Trahald walked the lady over to one of his horses, and mostly made sure that everyone was settled effeciently enough to move out.

Boffin looked around for the human that he had been talking to, found Majimaune and Aiden at the bar, and trundled over. He hung back when he decided that they were already talking, but was being obvious enough to get attention. Tolir stayed inside, trying to keep an eye on everyone, making sure that he would be the last to leave.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
"Aye, I would like that." Aiden said to Majimaune as they both gathered their equipment and headed outside. The sun was already creeping over the horizon and Aiden could tell that it would be a warm day. Maji led him to two horses that were tethered to a tree just outside the Inn. He stopped aside a brown and white horse that looked built for speed. It was quite a beautiful animal. He pointed toward a grey horse that snorted as they came close. "Her name is Galle...be careful, she is very willful." AIden looked at her and brushed his hand across her side. She was a hand or three taller then the other horse but she looked somewhat heartier. "Be careful though, where you lead, she will follow." Aiden smiled as Maji untied them. "Thank you." He said as he moved up to the horses head. Slowly he touched his hand to its face and made sure she could see him clearly. He spoke softly into her left ear. "I am Aiden...I see you are a strong horse..." The rest Maji could not hear. He just shook his head and mounted. After Aiden finished, he tied his bag near the rear of the saddle. He then slid his bow under a sturrup for quick and easy access. Finally, he mounted the broad horse and turned it round. Galle was not used to the rider and so she did not turn as he wished. Aiden turned her again, and then again. It appeared Galle liked a bit more lead and less tug he gathered. Aiden knew it would be some time before he learned what Galle was used to and he was fortunate that the road ahead was a long one.
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Maya looked over the horse to her left critically. It was a gelding chestnut, young but placid-looking. She stroked through its mane, noting the white markings around the ears. Turning to one of the woodmen beside her, she inquired as to the name of the animal. "Tyos" came the response. "Don't let him fool you ma'am; he's a wild one."
Maya smiled. "I'll be fine."
 
Last edited:

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald took the lead, in the first wagon, which was old yet brightly painted and adorned. In bold letters, the thing proclaimed ---> "Trahald's Itinerant Armoury And Apothecary" and, seemingly added much later and in a much fancier style ---> "And Toyshop!" A few hopped into the back and had to push a lot of merchandise around to get comfortable. Boffin leaned out of the back to talk to his pony, which was tethered behind them, in between conversations with Woodmen. Tolir drove the other wagon, which was a much newer and far less eye-catching version. Those who chose to hop into that one only had to move a lot of supplies around to get comfortable.

The group departed slowly, since Trahald couldn't help tossing promises of their return and future trading opportunities, and the spectacle caused enough of a draw to keep a few gawkers in the way, most of the time. Once away, Boffin attempted to get the others into a good mood by way of introducing an elvish version of a Dwarvish marching song.
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Tala watched from a slight distance as the horses and riders readied; a soft puff of air breathed out at seeing that even the younger members had little trouble with the large creatures. She would keep a little space from them tell they were perhaps a little more accustom to her presence. Glancing at the brightly painted words on the side of one wagon, it was quickly thought of as something of a clown shop on wheels and not at all something she would spend time in if there was any choice. The other was slightly better; mostly the thought of being in a box turning her away from watching a few others climd in and settle atop the boxes and bags of supplies.

Having watched the last few thing being tossed into the back of one of the carts, Tala simply swung the leather pack over her shoulder and waited for them to move on. Long legs and a practiced step made it all too easy a task to keep pace with the filled wagons and only slightly nervous horses. A clear sky and light breeze seemed to hold the promise of fine weather to come and stay at least through the day and into the night. Gravel crunching under her feet and the fresh air filled with mixed scents brought Tala the rest of the way to her usual alertness. She was almost even starting to enjoy the walk. That was, until someone tried to start something she could only assume was a song. Rolling her eyes, a deep breath cleared her head quickly; helping her to tune out the racket as she strode forward.
 
Last edited:

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
When Aiden had mounted and was riding Galle around, Majimaune spread a riding blanket over Steltrum (that was her name because of a star-shaped white patch on her head) and put his bag behind where he would sit, then mounted. He needed no saddle but found it uncomfortable without the blanket. Steltrum was a quick horse but could ride for a long period of time if needed. Majimaune saw a wagon being laden and that others that where going with them gathering near.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Boffin quickly found that he was the only one enjoying his song. The Woodmen in the wagon with him were looking at him with confusion, and Tolir was the only other one trying to help, but he was only humming along. The pathetic Dwarf decided that such things only happened because the others wished to sing in a language that they could understand. His confidence left him, though, when he thought about leading others in something that he didn't consider himself especially skilled at. He settled with apologizing and asking if anyone knew any good legends from the First Age, fully intending to introduce one of his favorites if they didn't have one.

Trahald kept eyes on as many as he could and would sometimes call one of the Woodmen up to the front to talk with him for a while. Most left him with a look of trust mixed with a healthy bit of confusion. Not much later, he called Tala over to walk close to the wagon.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune was riding slitelyt ahead of the others so as a sort of scout. He injoyed solitude from time to time. He was also there so that if he saw a rabbit or a bird he could shoot them and save food in his bag.
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Able to enjoy the walk in a little more silence, she had almost slipped into a relaxed and unbothered step when someone called. Closing her eyes in a slow blink, she slowed slightly and looked over at where Trahald sat in the lead wagon.

Never should have said anything... She thought for a moment before turning. Showing a little of a 'yeah, what now' sort of look on her face, she adjusted the pack and walked over beside the wagon. "What is it? Do I walk a bit too fast for your liking?" Glancing momentarily up at the man, she let his eyes meet hers -cool and dark- before looking back to where they were going.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Aiden rode along side the wagon. He looked somewhat pleased, quite a contrast to his usual glumness that he had displayed thus far. Clearly, he seemed to know what he was doing on the back of the large horse until...

Galle stepped upon a stone and it kicked up at her when her hoof crunched down upon it just right. Galle reared up and caught Aiden offguard. He fell backward and rolled off. He landed hard and a loud audible "snap" was heard. Galle trotted forward and shook her head to the excitement. Aiden lay there unmoving and it appeared that his leg had broken.
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
A sudden movement pulled her attention away from the man and to a large horse not far from where she now stood. Great hooves pawing at the air, Tala watched as the rider slipped back and fell hard to the rocky ground; the sound of his landing setting a knot in her as it rang in her ears. She hesitated only a moment before stepping forward; quickly placing herself between the startled horse and the boy collapsed on the ground. Tossing its head, the creature caught a little of her scent and started to move away. Thankfully though, it was starting to calm from its incident and a few of the others were quickly able to get ahold of the rains.

Turning back from them, Tala glanced around and knelt beside the unconscious boy. Moving carefully, she found the place that had broken in his lower leg. "Bring me a spare blanket and a thick length of wood; a good branch will do. Now!" Thought she still had a calm air around her, on one dared question the tone in her voice. Having not seen what had first set it off, she thought it was her being too close that was the cause of this.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald sighed with frustration and rolled his eyes. A few Woodmen had already jumped out of their wagons to help. He directed one to mount Galle and keep her close by, then waved Boffin to his supplies. "Ugh. Do as the lady says, Boffin. Looks like she thinks that she knows a thing or two. Get the boy in here as soon as you can. I don't want anyone to think that we'd slow down just for this." Boffin, who had probably heard the snap and rushed to the front of the wagon to look uselessly concerned, nodded uncertainly and grabbed what Tala was looking for among their usual emergency supplies. After hopping down and trotting up to hand over the asked-for objects ---> "Ouch. Can we move him yet? I don't know." Boffin looked up to nod reassuringly at Tolir as the second wagon rolled by them.
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Maya looked over from where she'd been trotting along placidly, and seeing Aiden on the ground, she wheeled Tyos around and dismounted near the boy's head. She rolled her eyes. "Wasn't wise of him to let his horse have the head; poor boy."
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Not even nodding as the things were brought to her, Tala had only been working a short time when she sat back on her heals. Looking from the now braced and bandaged leg to his face, she picked up his still wrist in one hand. Finding that his pulse was a little slow but still strong, she nodded once as she knew he would be alright. "He should rest for a time. Watch his head and leg but see if you can get him in one of the wagons." Still beside him, Tala looked down at his face and shook her head lightly to her own thoughts.

Starting to stir and wake up, Aiden would only catch a glimpse of the woman's face as she overlooked their setting him in the wagon. Turning back to Trahald, Tala breathed out slowly and picked her pack back up to start walking on her own again.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune wheeled around on his horse and saw Aiden on the ground. He went up to his horse and stroked her along her neck. She was normaly good but occasionally she wanted to be free and get back to the wild. That was when she was bored.
Majimaune went to see how the boy was going and then told Boffin what was behind what had just happened and then asked "Could we move along a bit faster otherwise it will happen again."
 

Thread suggestions

Top