🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Recipe For Power!

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Boffin, who was sitting with Aiden to offer him something from their apothecary business, if he needed it, poked his head out of the back of the wagon to talk to Majimaune. "Oh. Well, I can ask, but we probably shouldn't make the wagons go too fast on these roads, though. Aiden here might get worried if we bounce him around too much, too. Wait there."

Trahald, meanwhile, noticed Tala catching back up with him. He tossed an appreciative look as he beckoned her closer. "Ah, Tala! What commendable reflexes you have! I did not expect such skills from your earlier and far too modest description! Don't worry about the boy. Your quick thinking and my experience will ensure a perfect recovery. But as to what I had been so recently interrupted..." He'd probably lean down towards her to try speaking a bit more conspiratorily, but that'd be about the time that Boffin would show up.

"Hey, boss! One of the new guys asked if we could speed up. Can we? Something about the horse that threw the kid being bored. Oh, sorry. Uh, I'll go tell him that you'll talk to him, then." Boffin hopped away from Trahald's look of annoyance and back to poke his head out at Majimaune again. "Hey, Majimaune. Get up front to talk to my boss. I don't know. sorry."

Trahald made sure to keep his annoyed look only while faced away from Tala. When Boffin left, he'd revert back to a mildly amused look and shrug his shoulders. "Oh, excuse that, Tala. I shall have to solve another problem. We can talk over supper, later. Be careful of rushing too far ahead. That is part of what I wish to tell you." The dark-skinned man then looked around to see which of his new employees had something to say about the troublesome horse.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Trahald made a show of pronouncing the guy's name correctly. "Majimaune, yes? You know the horse that knocked Aiden off. Why don't you just ride nearby? Give that young Woodman who's taken the reins a little advice, eh? Don't go too far ahead, though. This wagon is the most effective shield you have, out here." With a pointed nod, he then indicated the Woodman currently arguing with the horse.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Majimaune took Trahald's advise and went over to the horse and dismounted from the one he was riding. The company kept moving while he spoke softly with Galle. When Galle had carmed down the went to catch up with the company.

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
It would take a while for her to pick back up her smooth pace. Keeping a distance of about twenty or so feet from the wagon, Talla wondered what it was that Trahald had to say; her thoughts also wandering back to the boy and what had happened. But he was young. He would only take a little time to heal.

"Can't you see it?! Don't you know I'm..." A gasped breath broke off the words. Moonlight slipping over them as a cold wind brushed aside tree branches and dark clouds.

A stray lock of hair stung at her shadowed eyes. Brushing it lightly away, Tala breathed in the cool morning air. They came often enough that she had nearly became accustom to the memories. Most of the time it was only a matter of shaking them off and reminding herself to keep moving. Walking really was so much more to her then a means of travel.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
After a day of driving through an increasingly rough trail, the group paused to rest. Trahald offered plenty of food that he had prepared while in town, but most preferred to eat what they had packed. At least until the few more adventurous Woodmen chanced a taste and proclaimed appreciation. Trahald looked proudly at the food and modestly explained that he had been very well trained, then reminded them to conserve as much as possible. He made a point of visiting Aiden to check that he was healing well and to offer him a bit of the best travelling food that the guy had probably ever seen. After promising to check on him again before he went to sleep, Trahald wandered around to look for Tala.

The small caravan had stopped in a lightly wooded area in the foothills of the Misty Mountains. The light from a large fire reflected off of the sides of the wagons, which were a comforting barrier to some. Boffin happily munched on a meat pie and sulkily slowed down when he was reminded to conserve. After checking with Tolir, he found that he was getting the last watch of the night and decided that talking with one of his new companions would be agreeable before grabbing a bit of sleep. He stumbled upon Maya, who hadn't offered much to say to him yet. "Oh, I'm sorry! Hello. It's Boffin, the toymaker?" A sheepish grin and a point to the sign on one of the wagons followed.

Tolir ate quickly and quietly, only responded with short sentences to any that were directed at him, then stood to find a perch on a wagon from which to start the first watch.

Last edited:

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Not too far from the group, a large, flat rock had been found to make a good place to sit and rest. The sounds and touch of a light wind brushing past cool mouton stones was breathed in slowly; gray-brown eyes coming open at the sound of approaching footsteps. Talla looked up and back over her shoulder to where Trahald was walking up the rough path. Turning her head back to look again out over the land, she could see over the many tree covered hills growing from the earth only to sink away and off into the distance. Staying silent, Talla let her eyes stay on the view as Trahald came up and paused at a few steps distance.

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
Majimaune prefered to eat alone so he went to t he edge of the camp, just inside the light from the fire. He had a feeling in his stomach that usually meant something bad would happen. He ignored it and got some food out of his saddlebag. Bread and water would do for him.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Trahald chuckled softly yet audibly, then stepped onto the rock with Tala. "Ah, here you are. Are you hungry? The others are enjoying some of my food, at the moment, and you really should eat something. It is quite good, you should know." He offered a hand to help her up. "There is no need to avoid the others. Besides, my partners and I will take the night watches. We have an established schedule already. Come on. We can discuss the finer points of scouting over a decent supper."

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
When Majimaune had finished eating he went back to the fire to try to see if he could talk to one of the dwalves. They where interesting people, he thought, and would be interesting to know where they came from.
When he saw Boffin he went and sat next to him. Boffin was next to Maya, who Majimaune had not talked to yet. "Boffin, where are you and your kinsfolk from? Are you from the Lonely Mountain, Iron Mountains or Blue Mountains. I am interested to know."

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Catching its wings on the edge of the wind, a silver eagle soared above the wide land before them, catching and seeming to hold her attention as he reached down to her. "I'm not hungry." She only needed to half lie as it had been a long time since she had had anything but didn't feel like eating.

"As long as I'm going to work with this band, there is something you need to understand, Trahald." Only now did her gray eyes turn up to look at the man's face. "Even though you may think me a help to have around, don't expect that I'll always be there. And if ever I make a request -you will know it if comes up- it will be on your own hands if nothing is done as I ask." She felt she could say that much and still be able to leave a few things unsaid. If needed, she could just keep moving. She always could just keep moving. Her face was calm as she watched Trahald a little longer before turning an empty gaze once more towards the sky; light catching on the lighter streaks in her braided hair more then it had back at the inn.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Boffin meekly excused himself from Maya and shifted to give Majimaune his full attention. "Hm? Oh, I am from the Lonely Mountain. Heh. I was such a useless Dwarf that they kicked me out and told me not to come back until I made something of myself. oh well. And, you know, Dwarves don't just come from the places you mentioned. For one, we'll be delivering our cargo to the Dwarves in Aglarond. Anyway, Trahald and Tolir are good examples of humans, I guess. Trahald is from Harad, but he was kidnapped and raised by corsairs of Umbar. Hm. Let me think. After he escaped, he lived with a family in Gondor, then started his own business when they kicked him out. Um, Tolir comes from a town that's gone, now. He doesn't talk about it much. I think that he's still grieving for them. Trurion, he said. Someplace north of the Shire. Ever been to the Shire? It's a really nice place! Oh, and what about you? Trahald says that it's good to get to know the people you're travelling with."

Trahald fumed a bit at what he saw as disrespect but only showed a bit of surprise on his face. He followed her gaze, quickly dismissed the bird and the view, then withdrew his hand to cross his arms across his chest. "Ah, well, I shall be accommodating, as always. I only hope that your requests aren't too extravagant. What is the nature of any requests that you might find yourself making, if one may ask? It would be beneficial to all if I knew what to expect and had the freedom to plan ahead."

Majimaune

No face, no name
Reaction score
"I come from a place near where the Easterlings are. That shows for my dark skin. I have never been to the Shire or seen the Sea. Have you seen the Sea Master Boffin? I hear that it is a great place. A desert of water. And this is possibly a question that you dont want to answer but have you seen elves?"

Last edited:

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Reaction score
The day had been exhausting for most, however Aiden brooded and hated himself for what had happened. He was now certain that the bad luck that had befallen his family was within him. He sat off to the side and could not bring himself to eat. His stomach felt as if it was in knots. His sister's death was his fault, he was certain of it now. He took a cursory glance around. Most everyone seemed to be enjoying the outdoors and most seemed to be locked in conversation. Aiden, queitly lifted himself to his feet. A groan of pain flashed across his tongue and he winced. He stood a moment and waited for the throbbing to trail off. When it did he pivoted toward the forest. He slowly lifted his pack to his should and took up his bow. Without a word, he exited into the forest. He was not sure at all what he was doing, but he knew he would get someone killed very soon if he stayed. He could not allow his bad luck to trouble these good people. Haplessly, he slowly made his way into the forest alone. Each footfall was agony but he was very determined. He looked back once and no one seemed to notice him gone. He felt that no one would realize he was not among them until he was checked up on the next morning. He used the blanket of the night to fade into the forest.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Boffin jerked back a bit, blinked with surprise, then smiled at the opportunity to talk about one of his favorite subjects. "Oh, it's no trouble at all! I have seen many elves in my travels! How about you? They're great, aren't they? But I've never heard of any living too far out in the east. I was able to learn a few of their languages and most of their legends. One of them actually gave me my pony! If you are curious about them, I could tell you a lot! But, um, sorry. Yes, I have seen the sea. We've travelled to a few places on the coast. It's big and scary like a desert, I guess. I'd like to travel on it, some day, even though I'm probably not even allowed to look for some of the places the elves talk about. Hm. Well, I think that you're the first Easterling I've run across, if I'm not mistaken! How is the trading out there?"

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Talla shook her head. "I need my space at times; and that tends to be more often then not. It isn't that I don't want to be around anyone..." She slowed and stopped for a moment. "I don't know why I came along. Could use a bit of money is all, perhaps. It was a risk to say that I would come and already one has been hurt. Did I not tell you that horses don't do well around me? That boy..." Her words grew silent and her eyes unfocused as thoughts ran though her mind. She should have known better then to have gone any closer. Maybe if she had stayed back he'd not be stuck in the wagon like another pack of supplies. Shaking her head again, she looked up into the evening sky as it turned towards night. How long had it been?... No, there was still time. Not much maybe, but not so little as to yet be a threat. Her right hand came up to brush back a stray lock of silver streaked hair. "Just remember that it might be wise to listen if I say something is important." Coming to her feet, Talla glanced over at Trahald before turning back towards the camp.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Very used to commanding full attention from anyone, Trahald restrained an indignant glare and only showed a calm face. He stepped off of the rock to position himself between her and the camp. "Oh, don't let that accident scare you, Tala. You certainly couldn't have caused it, as you weren't even close by, at the time. It could have happened to anyone. I understand that you would not consider yourself to be at your best while riding a horse. Perhaps you have never been suitably trained. That is no reason to assume that you cause bad luck, though."

After lowering an amused eyebrow, he clasped his hands in a businesslike manner. "Now, if all of your requests are as simple as preferring not to socialize with the others, I can manage, but if not, I would like to know. I would prefer not to guarantee something, unless I understood it." He looked at her pointedly to show that he was serious about that, then gestured towards the camp before casually bringing up the reason that he came over in the first place. --->

"Well, you are welcome to a bit of food in the camp, if it strikes your fancy. On a more business-oriented note, as you are scouting ahead, do not provoke an attack from any of the natives that we might encounter. I understand that many cannot control their hatred for certain peoples of this world. I would hope that you have a bit more restraint than that. They may not look or act like us, but they are entitled to trade, as well. I have several business associates in these mountains. They will most probably check up on us several times during the course of our visit but won't approach when they see that I have brought company. They know my wagon, which is why you might not wish to stray too far away. I always value a good scout, though. Raiding parties are not unknown, but please report to me before you make any rash decisions. I wouldn't want to alarm the others, of course."

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Reaction score
Almost able to feel the distaste he tried to hide, Talla shifted the weight of her pack and turned down the path. Letting him keep pace with her if he wished to, she kept her eyes turned away as the moon started to work its way into the evening sky. It's not going to be full for another three weeks. It's fine. She reassured herself; unaware of the very slight glow that had started to touch her gray eyes.

Only perhaps a few yards from the outside of the little camp, Trahald's most resent words brought an almost confused lift to one eyebrow. "What sort is it that you trade with? Might it not be a good idea for at least a few to know what to be looking out for?" She turned her head to look over at him. "You wouldn't want anyone acting as guard to react in a foolish manner due to surprise, would you?" Keeping her voice a little quieter out of habit, Talla watched his face closely.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Trahald blinked with mild surprise when her eyes grew a bit of a strange glow, but he had seen many strange things in his life and didn't think much of it. He replied in a comforting manner ---> "No, I wouldn't. I thank you for the advice, although it is unnecessary. I already planned to warn the others that will be riding on the edges of the caravan, of course. As to your other question, I trade with all sorts. Take a look at some of the merchandise in my wagon to see my range of buyers. All you need to know is that if you see someone, report to me, unless it is evident that the group will be under attack, in which case, you should spread a warning as calmly as possible. A pair of Orcs, for example, that just happen to look as if they have come prepared for a fight does not mean that they plan to attack. They are most probably a scouting party wise enough to travel armed. So many see non-humans as a faceless enemy, which is never profitable for traders like myself." At that, he sighed with a bit of frustration and grabbed an edge on one of the wagons, preparing to defend his beliefs from hereditary prejudice.

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Reaction score
Maya was lost in a world of her own; she sat on a rock away from most of the others. There was a piece of wood in her hand, and she carved away at it with her knife as she thought. After a moment she looked up and glanced around at everyone's faces, trying to memorize every detail. Tucking her hair behind her ear and carefully standing, she picked her way between groups and shyly made her way towards Trahald where he stood next to the wagons. "Sir, I couldn't help but overhear. Do you think it likely that we'll encounter Orcs?"

Thread suggestions