🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Recipe For Power!

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Trahald's sigh was cut short as he released his grip on the wagon to greet Maya with a smile. He knit his eyebrows in a show of concern, then made calming gestures while checking to see how many others were also listening in. In a soothing a much quieter voice ---> "Ah, there you are, Maya! I was planning on speaking to you about just that, as soon as I finished with our friend, Talla. But no, it is unlikely that you or any of the others will have to confront any Orcs. Or trolls, or rock giants, or wandering bands of fugitives, all of which frequent these mountains. I know the area well and have made prior arrangements just for this expedition. There is nothing to worry about, now. I could go into detail, but that might only serve to lower your opinion of me. I understand that dealing with those sorts may seem foolhardy or suspicious, but I will do whatever it takes to keep my business safe. If you happen to see someone, I would ask you not to alarm the others, either, but to tell me about it, first." He tossed a grin that showed a bit of genuine honesty, that time, mostly mixed with the weariness of a dangerous life.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
"Ah Boffin," said Majimaune. "I am not a full Easterling. You see my mother was a Easterling yet my father was Gondorian. My father left my mother and I stayed with the Easterlings. When I was 15 I left them to search for my father and when I came to Gondor I was informed he was dead. I travelled north and found the Rangers or Dunedain and lived with them.

"I have not seen elves, only heard rumours of them in places." Majimaune became silent and said little more during the night.
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
"Okay." Maya smiled shyly. "So how long do you think it will take for us to get there?" She looked around at where the others were seated.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Boffin hid his nose behind his supper to express his sorrow, when Majimaune mentioned his family troubles. "Oh, so I guess you didn't like the east so much, then! Would you mind if I asked what happened to your mother? I have heard that the Easterlings are very like the Dwarves, in their habits, so maybe we haven't traded with them yet just because they want to stay isolated."

He munched on his food thoughtfully while trying to remember what else was said. When he remembered the bit about Rangers, he looked at the guy warily but didn't move away. "But I think that I've heard of the Rangers. A bunch of scoundrels who live out in wastelands is all I've heard of them, though. They would have to have a few skills to teach, I guess. Hm. Dunedain. I've never head them called that before. Men of the West? Something like that. It's an elvish word. So you must have been taught a few things about elves from them? I wonder if they have any different versions of the myths!" Forgetting his earlier hesitance at what he thought of as unsavory bits of the guy's upbringing, his eyes brightened eagerly, not noticing that the guy seemed to be done talking.

Trahald's eyes darted quickly to the ones that Maya glanced at, just to doubly check that they couldn't hear him. He brought his calm gaze back before she was through, though. "Oh, just a few days, at the most. Two, if we make good time. I wish to be in and out as soon as possible. We all want to get back to civilization, I'm sure." He nodded at Maya before turning his head to see if Talla had even been paying attention to him, then brought it back to include both of them. "Now, was there anything else, ladies? Maya, have you sampled any of my food, yet? I was taught by the best!"
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Only slightly perturbed by the interruption, Talla stayed quiet; letting the girl ask her questions while she half listened to the answers. Though she still told herself that she wasn't hungry, something drifted suddenly to her on the evening air. It almost teased her nose and she found herself glancing around to see where and what it was coming from. Catching her laps in thought, she brought her attention instead to looking around at faces and and over the wagon that Trahald had been leaning against.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Rotheld held tight his reins as he came over the hill. He sat atop a large, Pale horse and he leaned forward and patted her neck. The horse puffed and huffed and bolted about. The sudden stop aggrivated him and he wanted to continue to run. He beyed and Rotheld turned him side to side to keep him under control. The lay of the hill made him much more visible then he wanted however he had hoped that there were no elves among them that happened to look his way...not yet anyway. He took in the camp, counted the horses, wagons, and people. He did not expect them to come so far so quickly. His employer would not be to happy about this. He knew he would have to be careful when he presented the news. He was soon joined by Mazzan and Jiliek. Both atop Brown Geldings. All three stood side by side abreast of the road. The camp just off to the side. The fading sunlight cast their shadows just below them and now that all of them were there, he now hoped someone would see them. The three kept practiced control of their horses. Mist flowed up into the air from their flaring nostrils from the recent exertion.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Tolir, although he was several years past middle-aged, was an experienced watchman. When the movement from the hill caught his eye, he stood to make certain that he knew what to report. He whistled to catch one of the older Woodman's attention, then told him where to look and to find him, if the group moved. Trahald waited a beat, in case Talla needed anything else clarified, then took Maya's hand to invite her closer to the others, where his food was being packed away.

Tolir thudded up beside Trahald, looked around to see if everyone was near, and boomed ---> "I've spotted three riders up the road, sir. They have stopped, at the moment. I would guess that they are only sizing us up. No danger is evident." Trahald released Maya to switch into a more cautious mode. "Alright. Get inside the wagon and be ready to hand out the weapons. Catch Boffin and tell him to stay in the middle and watch the camp. I'll give them something to think twice about, if they turn out to be raiders. Three men isn't much to worry about, though. We don't want to reveal too much, so try not to make anyone nervous, on your way."

While Tolir stomped off to do what he was told, Trahald told the ladies to stay in the middle with Boffin, then started directing the Woodmen, to at least make the caravan look less defenseless. "They're probably only travellers. We aren't far from the nearest town." When he obtained the time, he found a spot to view the riders, figured that they could read the sign on his wagon if they were a little closer, and decided not to send anyone out unless they came closer.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune drew his sword. He was unwise to ignore that feeling in his stomach that he had. He was not sure if they where a threat but better ready then killed and not ready. He could just make out some shapes on the hill. He was ready for whatever happened.
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Maya allowed herself to be led towards the food, stomach grumbling, but she tensed as she heard what the others were talking about. Sliding her fingers around the hilt of her dagger, she carefully watched Trahald for an indication of what she should do.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
The orders were very clear to all three of them. However Mazzan always had a thirst for violence. He would of been more then pleased for Rotheld to give the order to charge the camp. The three just stood there, high above their horses like statues side by side just looking at the camp. Several minutes passed, just a long enough time for everyone who may of been hired freshly to get a sense that whatever they were payed it would not be enough.

Seemingly with out a word spoken amongst them, they each, and at the same time, turned their horses around, and galloped back over the hill and out of sight.
 

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Joined
Feb 12, 2002
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
4
Location
Prowling the Withered Heath
"Shhhhhhhh! Go gently, little one!" a low voice whispered into the ear of his mount as it danced sideways. The ponies he had been leading whickered, their delicate hooves beating a nervous tattoo in the dewy grass. He had been tracking this group ever since the inn, for he had heard only that an adventure was to be had, but also that an old friend of his traveled with them. He knew better than to approach an armed encampment too readily however and thus he decided to watch and wait while a group of men surveyed the camp, then apparently decided the pickings would be richer elsewhere.

A sigh of relief escaped him, for he knew his friend had never been the best of warriors and was therefore glad he'd not had to join in and reveal himself just yet. The reason he was hanging back was because of the gossip he had heard at the inn regarding the man his friend had taken up with. Someone named Trahald. It had been the general opinion of those who had met the man that he would sell his own mother for a profit and was as wily as a any wizard. In other words, someone worth getting to know. Better the Balrog you know than the Balrog you don't, as my sire used to say! he thought to himself with a grin.

Throwing his leg over the neck of his mount, he slid to the ground and went among the ponies, calmly them with a touch here and quiet word there, letting them now that they were safe. He had decided to wait until full daylight, when he and his beasts would not be taken for a threat, so without another word, he led them silently a short distance away to await the coming of day.
 
Last edited:

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
As she had avoided being pushed in with the woman in the center of camp, Talla was able to watch nearly everything from her place beside the wagon. As the three riders were across and up hill from her, she backed up slowly, making herself harder to see yet still able to keep a watchful eye on them tell they sank back over the hill.

Talla kept one eye on the place the riders had been. Though her face was still calm, she shifted the pack once and started to rethink the point of her joining this hodgepodge of a band. Glancing from the hill to the wagon, a quick thought of claiming a few extra supplies turned into a moment of confusion. Hadn't they put the boy in there? She looked into the shadows and stepped up a little way to see further in. There was no sign of him. Looking over to where Trahald stood, Talla momentarily considered what she was about to do.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune was on the outside of the ring with his sword at the ready. The figures did not look like they would approach. It did not feel good though. He felt like the was an ambush but he wasnt sure.
 

Daranavo

Hopeless Romantic
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
578
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
For a couple hours now Aiden had made his way into the forest. His leg throbbed very badly and often he had to stop and rest. His face glistened with sweat and he felt a chill come over him as the day grew into evening. He now looked for a good, soft spot to sleep. Not only that, it had to be densely populated with underbrush so that he could hide effectively if anyone..or anything, came along during the night. He had spent many evenings out like this one, but unlike those times, he knew where home was. Now, times were different.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
When the riders disappeared, Trahald turned his attention back to his employees. Many looked unsure of themselves and their situation, so he hastened to reassure them all. "Ha! As I told you, there is nothing to worry about. Who thinks that we looked like a threat? I don't know of many bandits who travel their territories with brightly colored wagons! oh well. Now, everyone should relax and get some sleep. We march early, tomorrow." After repositioning Tolir as the watchman and negotiating with the Woodman who replaced him to watch another direction, Trahald returned to the center of the camp to calm any nerves that could still be frayed. Boffin scuttled away from his pack of food to find his bedroll.
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune sheathed his sword but was not at ease. He lay down with his sword in reach and tried to sleep. As he lay on the ground he heard noises in the forest but was not sure whether he should get up and see what they where, whether they where just night animals or a threat.
 
Last edited:

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Bored and shy, Maya wandered in between where the people sat. She made a full circle of the camp, and stopped beside the wagons. Looking into the back of one to see how Aiden was faring, she was surprised to see a sweat-soaked blanket but no boy. She looked around, but didn't see him. Walking over to Tolir, she furrowed her eyebrows. "Um, sir? Do you know where Aiden went? He really shouldn't be walking on that leg."
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Having just turned away from the wagon, her pack a little fuller then it had been in what she considered repayment for even what little of her time had been spent, she stopped at catching the girl's question. Should have know it wouldn't be so simple. She thought. Striding up to the two, she nodded to Maya and brought her eyes meet to Tolir's Saying nothing about her already planing on it, her tone was quite nearly an unquestionable calm. "You need not bother anyone about it. I can go." She glanced down at the girl's face a moment before looking back. "And you needn't worry; I'll find him."
 
Last edited:

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
At Maya's notification, Tolir frowned with concern as he made a cursory glance around the camp for Aiden. "Huh. A young man, right? I would have thought that Trahald'd be keeping track of everyone." Before he could suggest something of his own, Talla showed up. Normally a very trusting sort, he nodded thankfully at her. "I'd appreciate it, miss. I really should stay here, as a watchman." Assuming that Talla would soon be off just to return a wandering kid back to his bed, he nodded reassuringly to Maya. "He shouldn't be too hard to track, in his condition. Thanks for noticing that he got up. He's probably a little depressed, right now. Could you tell the boss, too? We might have to send out more than one."
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
"No." She looked flatly at them. "You can't spare any more hands if something happens. Did you not see those horsemen?" Talla watched their faces for a time, letting them think over what they had seen. "It may be nothing, but if something happens, you wouldn't want half your band scattered over the land in search of a wanderer and a wounded boy. You need not give it any more thought, nor bother Trahald." Pulling the pack across her back and settling it firmly in its place in one smooth movement, Talla nodded shortly, turned and walked away.
 

Thread suggestions

Top