🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Recipe For Power!

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune was too restless to sleep. He got up and started to walk over to where some of the other people were situated and went to where Boffin was.
"Boffin do you have any ideas who those people were on the hilltop? I think we should go after them so they can come after us no more and so we can sleep in peace."
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
Tolir blinked with surprise for a couple of seconds at Talla's terseness. He did think about the riders that they had seen but didn't understand how only three could do much damage or why anyone would assume to worry, now that they were out of sight. He shook his head, then turned back to Maya. "I still think that you should tell Trahald. He'd like to know what's going on. I'd only ask that one other person head out, as it isn't very safe for a lone woman to be wandering around." After waiting for any other input, he turned back to keep watch, only later gaining a bit of suspicion about why Talla was taking a large pack with her just to gather a stray kid. Probably just taking a few supplies, in case the kid hurt himself again, he decided.

Boffin, since he was slotted to take the second watch of the night, took Trahald's suggestion to go to bed seriously and had to rub his eyes to get them used to the fire light again. "Hm? Um, no, I don't know them. I didn't even see them. Wait, what? No, we shouldn't go chasing after them! This region is getting a lot busier, these days. They were probably just a couple of travellers that were nervous of our large group. I don't know. Don't worry about it, Majimaune. Get some sleep. We've got watchmen. No reason to think that they meant us any harm."
 

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
Majimaune saw that Boffin was tired so he left him alone. He desided to go and sit next to the fire and smoke a bit while thinking things over. He lit his pipe and put his hood over his head to keep out the cold.
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
(OOC: Sorry Yay, I've been unexpectedly busy.)

Maya blinked at Tolir for a moment. "Um, I'll go I guess." She crossed the camp to her pack and took out a few oddments to put in her belt pouch. Making sure the dagger was still riding on her hip, she looked around once before heading off into the woods after Talla. She wasn't sure why the woman had seemed so terse, but she hoped that it wasn't because there were wargs in the woods. She'd had plenty of experience with monsters for one lifetime.
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
Even for having just started out, Talla's sure feet and longer stride had taken her deep into the forest. Instead of leaving the camp directly, she paced the area behind the wagons. It had been no hard task to find the boy's trail; an uneven step and the smell of pain more then enough for her to follow.

Glancing back over her shoulder to the camp, she gave a fleeting thought to those there. A quiet scoff touched the night air. Better that we had never meet. Starlight touched the light streaks in the woman's hair as she turned and picked Aiden's trail up once more. She knew she could find him, but after that...
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Talla must be a woodelf, was Maya's repeating thought as she stumbled through briars, cursing under her breath. The woman was leaving such a light trail that even a hunter like Maya was having a hard time following, and the moon wasn't giving off enough light to see footprints. Maya increased her pace, hoping to catch up with Talla before anything happened; the prospect of wandering through these woods for any longer than absolutely necessary was not a good one.

There! There was a noise from ahead of her, a little to the east. Taking long steps, then breaking into a panicky run, Maya crashed through the trees and saw something leaning against a tree. Talla was there too, stooping over the mound; she looked up, startled, and a glare flashed through her eyes.

Saying nothing, Maya looked down at the ground; it was Aiden, slumped against a rough tree-trunk. "How's his leg?" There was no answer. She looked up; Talla was standing straight, eyes faraway staring towards the sky. Maya let out a sigh and felt for herself; Aiden had done himself no good by walking on that break, but it should mend with rest.

"Let's get him back to camp. On three..." Silence again. Frustrated, wanting to yell, she stood up and wiped her hands on her pants. "Talla, we have to...Talla?" The other woman was nowhere in sight.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
As Maya and Aiden returned, Trahald looked at them with confusion and alarm, since nobody had gotten around to telling him what had happened. "Aiden, my boy! You should know better than to walk unaided so quickly! If you wanted to sample the night air, you could have called someone. I trust that you have had your fill?" While helping the kid back into a wagon to rest and to check up on him, he thanked Maya. "A very good job, young miss, catching his absence. It's a shame that he's injured, or he would have been more help in the back-breaking part of our journey with so much energy, eh? Ah, well. You should both get your rest, now. If you get the urge to wander again, please tell someone, Aiden."

He stood there for a few beats, looking mildly thankful, ready to catch any complaints. To himself and in his brain ---> "Argh! These simpletons! I should have raised the money to hire a troop of Dwarves! Ugh. Okay, I just need to get to Moria, gather my treasure, and get to Aglarond. Won't be too long. Tolir is competent enough to work these hicks into line. He speaks their language better than I!"
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
Maya rubbed at her shoulders; her slender arms were sore after carrying Aiden back by herself. Where did Talla go? she kept wondering. Catching up to Trahald near where he was talking to Aiden, she stood on tip-toe and whispered in his ear 'Uh, sir? I think you should know...Talla's gone."
 

AraCelebEarwen

Part of the Shadows
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
0
Location
On the edge of nowhere
"Where is that blasted thing?!" Talla mumbled, cursing quietly as she moved swiftly through the trees.

She had heard something just before finding Aiden unconscious against the tree. It had been not unlike a strange growl, its tone speaking of something she knew all too well. Shouting and springing forward from where she had been, the creature had vanished into the shadows with what she took as a startled yip. Talla checked the boy quickly; making sure nothing had been done. Whatever that thing had been, she was not comfortable leaving him alone like this. But the hunter in her was strong and she wanted to go after what she had seen. Maya had found them only a short time later, the girl's sudden approach bringing Talla to react as she didn't think that anyone would dare follow.

Stepping back to let her see to the boy's injury, Talla's keen ears had caught another few notes of the growl she had heard earlier. Glancing momentarily at Maya as she knelt over him, Talla knew that she would be able to care for Aiden. She had the look of wanderer and hunter to her lean form for one thing. Again the sound came to her. This time she moved back and away, braking into a silent run in the thrill of the hunt.

For a moment she almost thought she had caught sight of something just ahead. It had moved so smoothly into the shadows though that she wondered if the moonlight wasn't playing tricks on her. "Come on!... Where and what are you, you little..." She growled and kept moving.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
As Maya stretched toward Trahald's left side, where an ear would normally be found, he quickly turned his bandana-covered head to offer her the only ear that he still owned. He tossed a, "Hm." and a nod at her before straightening and looking past the camp with concern. "Did you see her leave, or might she merely be looking for our injured friend here? She should be fine, though. She seemed very serious about her job as scout. Could still be a bit nervous about the horsemen we saw. And she doesn't seem to be the sort who would appreciate us coming to look for her. If she isn't back by morning, I will worry, though. I am thankful for your help, Maya. You will be very useful, where we're headed." To himself and in his brain, again ---> "Feh! Like I'd waste time looking for one little scout! Not in this country, when I've got an important delivery. She was an arrogant little upstart, anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if she pops up again, just trying to impress me."
 

e.Blackstar

wanderer, not lost
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
5
Location
Minnesota, USA
[OOC: since apparently nobody else is going to do it...]

Maya stretched and yawned, suddenly aware of the stiffness in her back. She sat up carefully, brushing the rocks from the dirt under her. The sun was just slipping over the horizon in the east, and only a few others in the camp were awake. She opened her bag from where it was lying as her pillow, and pilled out a square of cloth. She wiped her face and hands with it, and then sat back to watch the birds wake up in the trees.
 

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Joined
Dec 3, 2001
Messages
5,538
Reaction score
6
Location
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
The group woke itself up, eventually. Trahald and Tolir hastened preparations for moving out, once again. Deciding that Talla had abandoned them and writing her off in his brain, Trahald led the way in his wagon. Boffin grumbled about the need for rationing food as he quietly snagged a bit for himself and the Woodmen in the wagon with him. Tolir looked tired and shaken as he drove the second wagon and waited for one of the Woodmen in his wagon to locate his usual pick-him-up potion that Trahald supplied him with. After settling his stomach a little, Boffin pulled the curtain out of the way to admire the morning and attempt hitting on a similar interest with one of his fellow travellers. Trahald, although he was careful to appear casual and focused when one of his employees beheld him, was constantly scanning the increasingly rocky terrain for his contacts.
 

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Joined
Feb 12, 2002
Messages
1,948
Reaction score
4
Location
Prowling the Withered Heath
Having observed the various comings and goings in and around Trahald's camp during the night, Rohalad decided that as soon as it was light, he had better act swiftly if he were to join them. There seemed to be several restless characters among them, wandering with an apparent aimlessness that caused the Elf some concern. They couldn't all be scouts or on watch after all.

After what seemed like the longest night of his life, Rohalad heard the unmistakable sounds of an awakening camp. Quiet murmurings and the stamp of sleepy beasts, along with the faint scent of a hastily prepared breakfast made him rouse himself and his drowsing ponies. He changed his travel-worn garments for a clean tunic, jerkin and hose. It was always good policy to make a memorable first impression, as any vendor worth his wares knows. That being done, Rohalad looked his ponies over, inspecting them for any trace of briar or bramble in their manes or tails. After satisfying himself that they were presentable, he called them all close and told them to mind their manners, as they would be travelling among strangers now. Mild, slightly bored looks greeted his words as if to say, "Did you expect anything different? You worry about yourmanners, master!"

"Have it your way then! On your shaggy heads be it if we run afoul of our new host!" With a wave of his hand, Rohalad then led his ponies in the wake of the last waggon and called out, "Mae govannen! Can any of you tell me where I might find a man called Trahald? I hear he travels with a friend of mine!"
 
Last edited:

Majimaune

No face, no name
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
674
Reaction score
1
Location
Blacktown, Australia
"Yes," said Majimaune, "he is over there. The one with the black hair and dark skin. He's a Sourthron if you wish to know. And who are you?"
 

Thread suggestions

Top