🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Relics in Middle-earth

1stvermont

Reaction score
So I was thinking about what kind of relics do we see in middle-earth. Objects that are held in high honor and perhaps even contain powers or inspire those who hold them or are near them. Perhaps the shards of Narsil or the white tree of Gondor, or Gimli strand of Galadriel’s hair. I would love to hear of some examples of ancient cites or objects they in some way resembled relics.

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Before I go running off (at the mouth, or here keyboard) in a wrong direction, what of two possibilities (in my understanding) do you mean:

- relics "within" Middle-earth, which might include "archaeological sites" of abandoned cities like Osgiliath or Fornost, or Merry's horn from the hoard of Scatha the worm?
- or relics in the real world which one could imagine as being left over from Middle-earth?

1stvermont

Reaction score
Yeah I guess i would include "archaeological sites." I was looking more for what those alive in middle-earth the third age would consider objects similar to "relics"

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
The Silmarillions come to mind. They certainly had a powerful effect on others.
Not really anymore in the Third Age. Eärendil and his Silmaril, attached to the mast of his ship Vingilot, has now become a (the Evening) Star.
As to "archaeological" relics, these would, again in or at the end of the Third Age, been mostly Human (except for Khazâd-dûm). The main settlements of the Elves in Middle-earth had been those of the First Age, lost in the drowning of Beleriand at it end. The Grey Havens, Imladris, Thranduil's realm and Lothlórien were all still inhabited at the end of the Third Age. the last of these, apparently abandoned by the time of Arwen's passing, would probably look like a normal forest, if with very big and unusual trees.

JPMaximilian

Ranger & Student of Lore
Reaction score
The following come to my mind: Gates of Argonath, Osgiliath, Amon Sûl, Durin's Axe, The Palantíri, The Elendilmir and Boromir's horn.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions