🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Religion Before Sauron's Captivity

Goro Shimura

Scribe of the Eldanyárë
Reaction score
Posted by ReadWryt
One has to go to the Silmarillion to find any form of religion, and then much of it is the worship of Morgoth by the mislead Numenoreans...
In Tolkien's letter to Milton Waldmen (#131, page 156 in my copy) we find...

A new religion, and worship of the Dark, with its temple under Sauron arises.

If we assume, for the sake of a temporary lack of argument ;), that a new religion replaces an old religion, then my question is...

What were the attributes of the old religion in the days before Sauron's captivity, and is there any evidence that true religion continued during the Third Age?

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Sauron simply renews the worship that was done in the Silmarillion. That is the worship of Melkor, the Morgoth, stealer of the Silmarils, killer of the Two Trees, murderer of Finwe, King of the Noldor and Sauron's true lord. That religion, both the new and the old, is the only one reflected in the works.

And I didn't answer all of your question either. There was still Melkor worship in the third age. I believe it is referred to in the index or the Letters or possibly even in UT or HoMe. Alas, I am too lazy to look it up right now. I will leave it to someone with a little more time than I. ;)

Last edited:

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
I don't have an answer.

Just thought I would say that the Faithful (Amandil etc) worshipped Illuvatar on top of Meneltarma ? They were prevented from doing so while Sauron's men (king's men) kept them away...

Brent

Reaction score
Originally posted by Eonwe
I don't have an answer.

Just thought I would say that the Faithful (Amandil etc) worshipped Illuvatar on top of Meneltarma ? They were prevented from doing so while Sauron's men (king's men) kept them away...
Isn't there something in Unfinished Tales regarding the Numenor calendar and its division into quarters that makes mention of offerings to Eru at each quarter of the year.

Elanor2

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the Numenoreans met three times a year on top of the Meneltarma, but they could go there when they wanted.

Traditionally, only the king (or his heir) would speak on the top, a thanksgiving speech during these festivals. All others, during the three festivals of during private visits, would remain silent. It seems more like a place of meditation. I do not remember any other particular act of worship.

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
One thing we do know about the form of Sauron's worship of Melkor in Numenor is that (to paraphrase from the Sil) he "had men brought to him in the temple to be burnt".

Thus, torture and human sacrifice were part of it.

Thread suggestions