🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Repeating Stories

Sarah

Wandering Hobbit
Reaction score
I'm currently reading the Book of Lost tales 2 and I noticed that the stories are similar repeats from BOLT 1, UT, and SIL. So could someone who has read more of the books than I have please tell me which stories are repeated in which books? Thanks.

Inderjit S

Bootylicious
Reaction score
The BoLT serves as a basis for the stories in the Quenta Silmarillion. The Fall of Gondolin, tale of Beren and Luthien, Narn i Hin Hurin and Earendil, as well as the Music of the Ainur etc all originate from the Lost Tales mythology and are developed as Tolkien began to write the Quenta Silmarillion.

The Lost Tales serve as the start of Tolkien's mythology, which later come to fruition over the years and led to the Quenta Silmarillion, a work which he never completed for several reasons.

Sarah

Wandering Hobbit
Reaction score
What about the other HOME books? Are there stories repeated there too?

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
The HoME books provide a guide to the history of the writing of the stories. where JRRT has made significant alterations, or has re-written a story (for instance, without a kingdom of cats) then you will find it repeated. The writing of Lord of the Rings went through many metamorphoses - not least to the character who became Strider/Aragorn. The creative process is laid bare as you read through the HoME series. But if you are looking for a new Tolkien tale, then it is essentially a gleaning process. If that sounds too much like hard work, then you will have to be content with the published stories. There are other tales and poetry by Tolkien around, but they do not tie in much with Middle Earth.

Inderjit S

Bootylicious
Reaction score
The last three HoME books contain a lot of 'new' info. 10, 11 and 12 contain several essays (esp.12) which give us new information. They also give us the basis for C.T's 'Published Silmarillion'.

Thread suggestions