🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Rhosgobel

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I know Radaghast lived in Rhosgobel, in the Vales of Anduin; but where exactly is it? Which leads me to wonder whether he lived in a house, cave, mud-hut or treehouse!?!?!
If Saruman lived in Orthanc, which he made his home, where then did Gandalf call his home?

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
Gandalf was known as the Wanderer, so I don't believe he ever had a place he ever called "home". Also, Radagast always seemed like a house sort of wizard to me, as he had a slightly haughty manner not exactly suited to any of the other choices IMHO.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
One begins to wonder the depth of Gandalfs involvement in the matters of all peoples of Middle-Earth. He has many names from his travels and has obviously played a major role in Gondor, Rohan, Rivendell, Dwarven Realms and Lothlorien to name but a few. Where then would he have felt most at home if he could not actually call any 'home'?

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
I would think it would be either in Rivendell or Lothlorien, because
of his connection with the other two bearers of the Rings of Power and
also his apparent closeness with Elves in general. This could possibly
stem from the fact that they (Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond ) had all
come from the West.

Of course he also had a close enough relationship with the Stewards of Gondor to be able to feel welcome at all times there too.

Ståle

Reaction score
Elrond didn't come from the West ;)

I've always thought of Rhosgosbel as sort of a small tower though.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Rhosgobel is said to be at the edge of Mirkwood near the Carrock, and 'in the forest borders between the Carrock and the Old Forest Road'.

In UT index glossed as: 'russet"town" (ie enclosure)' David Salo breaks it down as rhosc "brown" + gobel "walled house or village". Compare Amon Obel "Hill of the Enclosure" (lenited from gobel apparently)

Elbereth

Star Queen of Valinor
Reaction score
I always thought that Gandalf would be most at home in the Prancing Pony.

There he can rest and be with other travelers like himself. The Prancing Pony is nonpretentious, comfortable, and open to all the free peoples of Middle Earth...very much like Gandalf, himself.

Thread suggestions