🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Riddle or Question?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
What have I got in my pockets?
Do you think it was fair of Bilbo to ask Gollum (what I beleive is) a question like this whilst playing a game of riddles? Even if Gollum was prepared to answer with 3 attempts it was still wrong and technically Bilbo should not have won the game. Gollum at this stage was unaware that he had lost his ring.

The debate stands as to whether this is actually a Question or a Riddle. What do you think?

Lindir

Reaction score
It was obviously a question and not a riddle, but as Gollum accepted it, I'd say Bilbo won the game fairly.

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
Yes Lindir i agree, Bilbo was actually thinking aloud when he said this, but Gollum immediatly accepted it as part of the riddle game.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
The commentary within 'The Return of the King' states there is a division among scholars about this very question, though all agree it was accepted by Gollum which made it fair game.

Vilya Elathelas

Reaction score
well...

I think it's fair so long as gollum agreed that it was and agrred also to three guesses.

And it's all thanks to that that I go around saying 'what have i got in my pocket??':D

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Re: well...

Originally posted by Vilya Elathelas
I think it's fair so long as gollum agreed that it was and agrred also to three guesses.

And it's all thanks to that that I go around saying 'what have i got in my pocket??':D

Yes i think it is fair to an extenet. Yes Gollum said it was alright but that was dumb. Serouisley how many things could he have in his pocket?

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Anything but an Oceanliner and a Locomotive, to quote a childhood hero of mine.:D
(it was a pelican referring to his beek where he stored practically anything in case it was needed)

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
The commentary within 'The Return of the King' states there is a division among scholars about this very question
So it was a question then?!?!?!

I agree with everyone here, that it was obviously a question, and Bilbo was left with no choice but to cheat, more or less. Hey, if Gollum accepted it then he has no one else to blame but himself, especially as he lost the game!

Good one Bilbo, quick thinking for such a small flat hairy footed hobbit!

Greenleaf

Of the Sacried wood
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gary Gamgee
Yes Lindir i agree, Bilbo was actually thinking aloud when he said this, but Gollum immediatly accepted it as part of the riddle game.
I don't think that Bilbo was cheating because Gollum accepted it. Also he was kind of “playing” for his life, he knew that of he lost or did not keep Gollum at bay then he would be attacked. So needless to say he was kind of desperate for a way out.

From the book
-""What have I got in my pocket?" He said this aloud. He was talking to himself, but Gollum thought it was a riddle, and was frightfully upset."
-"Bilbo seeing what had happened and having nothing better to ask stuck to his question"

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
the other two guesses were good too!!

Knife! String or Nothing! :) :)

I always thought it was a question. I think Gollum should have stuck to his initial response "Not Fair!". But since he tried to answer, all bets were off. Or on, as it were.

Tao

Shôgun
Reaction score
I would, like everyone else, say it is fair. Gollum shouldn't have accepted in the first place. Also, it never occurred to Bilbo that he'd actually except it.

Perfectly fair. :)

Too bad for Gollum :p

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Eonwe
the other two guesses were good too!!

Knife! String or Nothing! :) :)

I always thought it was a question. I think Gollum should have stuck to his initial response "Not Fair!". But since he tried to answer, all bets were off. Or on, as it were.

Yeah i think since gollum answered it must be determined as fair. Handses was a good geuss.:D :D :) :)

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
So, if most are agreed that it was a question; does this make Bilbo a cheat?

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
As an observer, looking at the situation between Bilbo and Gollum, I feel that he did cheat but he got away with it. Gollum should have put up a fight and not let Bilbo ask a question instead of a riddle.

silly little Gollum, I wonder what would have happened if Gollum didn't let it slide and that Bilbo actually lost the game?

Would Frodo have ever recieved the Ring from Bilbo? Would he have gone on his quest at all with the Fellowship to Mount Doom?

Prince Legolas

Armed and dangerous
Reaction score
I think it was fair. Bilbo wasn't really asking a riddle at all when he asked 'What have I got in my pocket' It was Gollum who automatically assumed that it was a riddle, and Bilbo, not being able to think of anything else, stuck with it.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
It is not a riddle under the "riddle rules of Middle-earth"; however, since Gollum accepted the question and made counter-demands (three guesses) the question was deemed a riddle by the Riddle Vala. (I think his name was Tom Bombadil (aka the Riddler from Batman. It appears they both have an affinity for green.):)

Thread suggestions