🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Ringbearers similarities

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Ringbearers

There are some similarities between the people/hobbits/Maia that bore the Ring for extended periods. Can you name some?

How about Gollum and Isildur -- both died as they lost the Ring, both found the Ring by killing.

How about Frodo and Sauron -- both lost the Ring by it being physically taken from their bodies via fingers on Orodruin

How about Sam and Bilbo -- both wore it without meaning to have it, both lost it via their own will

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
How about all of them -- they all lived longer than expected,because the Ring extended their lifetime and turned them into pale,oversesitive and dependent creautures?

P.S.hail to thee,Eonwe,it's been a long time,eh?

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
No i think that the only time he wore it was when he used it against the orc ambush. It was to hot and he was scared to use it.
So the answer is yes then surely? I'm confused now! He never wore the ring, except for defeating the Orc Ambush? So he wore it once then.

Can someone clarify for me....

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
Isildur put on the ring in an attempt to escape the orcs at Gladden Fields. The ring, though, betrayed him, slipping off and revealing him in the water. He was then killed by arrows.

Sorry, don't have the quotes to hand.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
How about Gollum and Isildur -- both died as they lost the Ring, both found the Ring by killing.
It can be argued that Gollum did not lose the Ring when he died, because he fell with it. So, technically, it was still in his posession when he fell into the Sammath Naur and died an excrutiatingly painful death. :)

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Hiya Melian, where ya been :)

Well who else even touched the Ring?

How about Bombadil and Gandalf -- both touched it briefly, not affected by it?

Deagol and Isildur -- both were attracted to the Ring by its sight at first

Branwen

Reaction score
how about Boromir and Isildur-both refused to destroy the Ring,both were killed by orcs because of pretty similar reasons
Merry/Pippin and Gimli/Legolas:they all never had any intentions of taking the Ring
Aragorn and Faramir-both had a chance but refused to take and use the Ring
Boromir and Denethor-both wanted the Ring(alright they were relatives:))

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Ok, Bombadil wore the ring of power, but was unaffected by it, but surely this still makes him a ringbearer?

If so, then how come he never emigrated to the Grey Havens with the other Ringbearers?

Elanor2

Reaction score
Tom Bombadil a ringbearer?
Difficult to say, since we do not know who Tom really is. If the ring has no power whatsoever over Tom, he can hardly be considered as someone who "bears" it.

As for taking a ship out of ME. We do not even know if Tom needs a ship to go anywhere he wants.

Elanor2

Reaction score
Someone must have touched the ring in Rivendel, when they were tending Frodo's wounds. Did not Gandalf say that they had forged a new chain of mithril for the ring, and that they had already replaced it in Frodo's neck? Someone must have taken it from Frodo's hand and put it in the new chain...

Also, I remember that Aragorn touched it when tending Frodo's wounds after Moria, but that could have been only the ring's chain...

It might be that to be a ringbearer you really have to use it somehow. By that rule, Deagol would not be a ringbearer, since he only touched it and never used it (even if he died for it). Tom did wear it, but since it had no power over him, that is not really using ????

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
To "use" the ring surely means just to put it on?

Frodo, Sam, Bilbo and Gollum all used the ring but only by simply placing it over their finger. They were never required to cast a spell, recite anything, so by this definition, Tom would be a ringbearer.

Ok nothing happened to Tom when he used the ring, but still did the same as the others.

Elanor2

Reaction score
Yes, I suppose that by "using" I mean that they have to put it on. You have to wear the ring to "use" its power. That's why Gandalf's touch or Deagol's fishing might not qualify them as "ringbearers", in my opinion.

Gandalf does not want to touch the ring because it might temp him to use it. But I do not think that just touching it is really using.

As for Tom, he is a separate case in my mind. For me, if the ring does not have any power on you because you are beyond it, you cannot be really using it. Nor is the ring using you. This "usage" relationship it just not applicable.

Of course, I have no data to sustain that idea. It is juts a personal belief.

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
I suppose it all depends on how you define the term Ringbearer. If because you wore the ring, then ok yes Tom Bombadil would be a Ringbearer, and say Gandalf would not.

If the ring had to have had an affect on the user, then no Tom would not be a Ringbearer.

Do we have any evidence in any of the texts that support either side of this debate?

Thread suggestions