🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

rings

Isilme

Princess of Himling
Reaction score
There are several rings in the books. The ring that rules all has elvish writing on it, and is gold. Well what do the other rings look like? Do the books say?
If you know could you answer me back.
Thanx!

E

eric57

Hi and Well Met,

The other Rings are mentioned in the Fellowship, first in verse:

"Three Rings for the Elven Kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf Lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
in the land of Mordor where the shadows lie."

Of the 3 Elven Rings, Elrond has (at least) one, and the others may have passed from Middle Earth to the Grey Havens.

Of the 7 Dwarf Rings, only 3 remain at the time of the story. Long ago, Sauron had collected these before fleeing Mirkwood for his stronghold in Mordor.

Of the 9 Mortal Rings, well these are possessed by the Ringwraiths that hound Frodo from the beginning of his quest.

As for Frodo's Ring:

"One Ring to rule them all and One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie."

So, Sauron has (3+9 = 12) rings at his command, and even without any Elven rings, the One Ring is more than enough for Sauron to ensure an apocalyptic enslavement of Middle Earth!

Please let me know if my memory is getting "thin and stretched."

Hope this helps,
Eric57

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
"The Nine, the Seven, and the Three," he said, "had each their proper gem. Not so the One. It was round and unadorned, as it were one of the lesser rings; but its maker set marks upon it that the skilled, maybe, could still see and read."
So each of the other great rings had a gem stone in it. And the lesser rings were "round and anadorned"

Describing Galadriel's ring, Nenya:

Its rays glanced upon a ring about her finger; it glittered like polished gold overlaid with silver light, and a white stone in it twinkled as if the Even-star had come down to rest upon her hand.
The Tolkien Companion describes Narya, Gandalf's ring, as being adorned by a single stone as 'red as fire.' It also says that Vilya, Elrond's ring has a great blue stone.

Sorry I don't have any info on the appearence of the nine and the seven. I'll keep looking though....

Isilme

Princess of Himling
Reaction score
Thank you!
I'm only in the begining of the first book so I don't really know much about them!
But the elven rings... what do they do? what power do they posses?
thanks!

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Hi Kindrabell.

You may find some valuable information contained within this thread originally started by Grond.

http://www.thetolkienforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1050

As for the Elven Rings;

The nineteen powerful Rings forged in Eregion in the Second Age, mostly with the aid of Sauron, of which nine were given by him to Men, and seven to the Dwarves; three the Elves retained. The One Ring is also counted among the Great, but that was forged by Sauron alone in Orodruin.

Although the Elven-smiths of Eregion forged many rings in the mid-Second Age, only these nineteen are considered Great. The nature and abilities of each of the Great Rings differed, but each shared two powers.

The first of these was the prolongation or 'stretching' of life - the bearer of a Great Ring did not age. This effect only applied to mortal bearers of the Rings; the Elves and Wizards were already 'immortal' by nature, and this power did not seem to affect them. This explains the peculiar longevity of Bilbo Baggins and especially Gollum (a creature of hobbit-kind, Gollum should have lived no more than 100 years or so, and yet under the influence of the One Ring, he survived for more than 500 years beneath the Misty Mountains).

The second power conferred by the Great Rings was that of invisibility. At first, this was a temporary effect, and only occurred when the bearer actually wore the ring. After a time, though, this invisibility would become permanent (hence the nine Ring-wraiths, though their Rings were held by Sauron, were always invisible). This invisibility seems to have been due to the wearer being transported to the 'wraith-world', a strange 'dimension' that co-exists with the real world.

Tolkien's various references to the Great Rings seem to make it clear that they all had the power of invisibility. However, the Three Rings of the Elves seemed to be exempt from this - although the Rings were normally invisible themselves, their bearers did not vanish (this is perhaps due to Sauron's having no part in their making).

The Seven Rings of the Dwarves, which were among the Great Rings, raise a question. We know that one of these Rings was held by the Kings of Durin's Folk, and yet through all the hundreds of years they bore it, there is no record of this Ring displaying any of its powers. Though the Dwarf-kings no doubt kept it secret and used it little, there are strong hints here that the Dwarves somehow had a greater immunity to the effects of the Great Rings than other mortal kinds.

(Courtesy of the Encyclopedia of Arda)

Poor_Smeagol

Reaction score
This forum doesn't work the way I thought. I can't reply to other people. I think.
Anyway, I'm new, and I just NOW finished The Return Of The King. On the last few pages, it says that Elrond has one ring, Vilya, the mightiest of the three. It is gold with "a great blue stone". Galadriel has another, Nenya. It is made of Mithril and has a single white stone "flickering like a frosty star". Gandalf has the last of the three, Narya the great. It has a single red stone.
Now I have a question for you, and for anyone else who has an answer. There are 20 rings (3, 7, 9, and 1), correct? The ONE is destroyed (Poor Smeagol), the three are accounted for, the nine belong to the Nazgul, and if I read it right, the seven were lost, destroyed, or hidden. So where does Aragorn's ring come in? Or is his ring, Barahir, a ring "fashioned in the form of twin serpents with emeralds for eyes, their heads meeting beneath golden floers which one devours and the other upholds", just something made for the movie?
I hope to get to know people here, and I'll try to post as often as possible.

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Aragorn's ring is the ring of Barahir which is an heirloom of his house. It is probably the oldest thing in Middle-earth ath the time of TLOTR. It is not on of the rings of power.

E

eric57

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the 3 Elven Rings were not forged by Sauron, but the Elf Lords from whom Sauron learned his ring craft. Thus, the Elven Rings were not rings of "Power" which could be used against the Dark Lord.

At the Council of Elrond:

Elrond: "Those who made them did not desire strength or
domination or hoarded wealth, but understanding,
making and healing, to preserve all things unstained."

"But all that has been wrought by those who wield the
Three will turn to their undoing, and their minds and
hearts will become revealed to Sauron, if he regains
the One."

"It would be better if the Three had never been."

Regards,
Eric57

gil-estel

Reaction score
as per the description of the rings-(and i paraphrase)
each of the rings of power had set their on stone. not so the ONE ring-it resembled more the lesser rings-it was unadorned

Thread suggestions