🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Round 8 - GoE/GoD vs. Periaur

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am supposed to put up a question for you all to discuss, then I watch, wait a week and stop you from posting anymore:) Well, apparently that's how the story goes!

So, let me have your teams pronto and we'll get this show on the road;)

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Our team...

-Aulë
-CelebthĂ´l
-Niniel
-snaga1

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Good grief, I really ought to think of a question for you guys:p

Bethelarien

The Lost Evenstar
Reaction score
Um...our team so far is...*drum roll*

Me.

Wow! That's impressive, isn't it? Well, Scatha won't be here, and as I've had positively no support from the rest of my team (particularly the Dwarven side), I guess I'll be debating the same way I started: by myself!

Bring it on. :D

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
*chuckles to self*

I'm sure you'll do your best Beth. Perhaps you could ask Swordmaster to assist? Or Dain?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
I feel somewhat uncomfortable posting a question if you have only one person in your team. Try again, I am sure the debate can hold until such a time as you have a team...at least consisting of two or more people.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
It doesn't appear that Beth shall be gaining any assistance...
I think you should post the topic before the other debates get too far ahead.

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Hmmm, if its okay, ill go on Beths team to help her out? I promise i wont be biased, but this is totally unfair on her to go up against all 4 of us. . . as long as its okay that is?

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Since when was Snaga leaving TTF?

Anyhoo, until I get some clarity from GOE/Ds on their team, there will be no question.

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Actually scratch my last remarks. If GoE/Ds can only provide one member for the team, then I would imagine Periaur would extend them the courtesy of using only one team member of their own...which would be a nice gesture.

Anyhoo, here's my question: Did Smaug the Golden serve Sauron? I have no idea who's turn it is to open the debate, but I am sure someone will tell me:D

Have fun!

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
GoE/D (Beth) shall choose the topic.

The GotP cannot give the GoE/D any of our players, as it is against the rules (Once you have debated for a Guild, you may not change sides). If it were a social inter-Guild debate, I'm sure we would have lent a player, but unfortunately this is a Tournament, and Eriol made that big, nasty list of rules.;)

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Anc, I'm not desperately happy about this question. There seems to be desperately little evidence to support either side. That doesnt seem very promising to me.:(

Ancalagon

Quality, not Quantity!
Reaction score
Well Snaga, as much as I do not wish to give out hints and tips on how to debate, I can safely say that there is supporting evidence for both teams and although I would fear to direct either side in a certain direction, I would suggest starting with Unfinished Tales.
However, one further point I will add is that there is absolutely nothing cut and dried about this question. The fact is, it is specifically designed to ensure both teams apply their creative debating skills to convince the judges, rather than palming off reams of quotes from Tolkiens work. Dare I say it, this question is designed to make one think rather than cut and paste!

*note to Aule: am I to use specific judges from Guilds or just seek out anyone who might have a passing interest?*

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Beth- could you please post soon?
The other debates are almost finished, and we haven't even started. :(

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Anc, because I sympathise with your aims (ie to have discussion not quote after quote) I'll put my misgivings to one side. I'm aware of the part of UT you refer to... we'll just have to see how we get on.:)

CelebthĂ´l

Loremaster
Reaction score
Seeing as im staying :rolleyes: for good now, is the 4th possition still open? I wont debate if either Anc or Beth have any objections due to the unfairness. . .

Thread suggestions