🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Round Seven

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Since Round Six pretty much threw our schedule all to hell, I've had some people ask me what my official position is on how to go about the onset of Round Seven. After conferring with a few trusted advisors, I've decided that Round Seven will begin on Sunday, September 7. If anyone has what a major reason why this isn't a good idea, the sooner they post it the better...

Confusticated

Reaction score
I hope there exists a host for the Round 7 debate between GoE/D and GoO. :D

Confusticated

Reaction score
There is a lot of slacking off going on.

Why?

Aule... come back?

Is the schedule just no good anymore? Does it need to be changed? Do those of you who slack off so much have an opinion on this, or anything to say about it? Is it better we have no schedule at all? It is of course really of no use when such a large number of people, especially the hosts which play a huge part of this, are not adhering to it.

Should it be done away with and teams just organize and complete the debates on their own time?

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
As one of the slackers, I must say a schedule remains a useful tool in keeping the debate participants at least somewhat committed to moving things along. I shudder to think how much more dawdling I would be doing if it were not for the schedule being there in the back of my mind.

We should stick with the timelines for the duration of the debates and the duration for judging. Keep in mind that stuff happens in real life that will inevitably impact these timelines and adjust for it with the start of the subsequent round. If each round begins at more or less the same time then things should not get too far out of whack.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Sheesh, GG
There was obviously someone to blame, and that person is you! You put up your thread days before everyone else, yet all the debates are now finished whilst yours hasn't even begun. Methinks you should have had the topic sorted out well before it ended up being so. If you can't handle the responsibilities (or have the time) of being a host, then just don't volunteer.
Because of you, the other teams shall have to wait around for the GoS and OiE to catch up, :( and delay the schedule once more (It'll now be pushing well into November before this is completed).

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
OOOOOOOO Thank you for the nice words Aule!I didn't expect such an attitude!
I opened the debate so early,because I wanted to finish it as quickly as possible.But just check when the two guilds posted their teams.And what is more, how can I sort the topic when I AM NOT the person who thinks of the topics.I had only to receive it and to post it.Ithrynluin suggested very nice topic I think,but then Anc argued that was rather philosophical one.
So,am I responsible for what happened?!
I will not accept anybody offending me about my abilities and the time I've devoted to the forum!
Especially at the moment,when I've just moved to a foreign country and have lots of administrative and university problems.I STILL find time for the forum!So don't tell me anything about time,please.

Once again,thank you for the nice words ,Aule.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
:rolleyes: You don't need to get all narky over it, GG.
I wasn't being angry with you or anything, just disappointed.
I know that you have moved recently, but if you thought you couldn't handle it- I know that several other GoT members would have jumped at the chance to help you. All the other hosts managed to get the topic on time, so I don't see where you are getting from there...
It's just that even if you tried your best, everyone else has to suffer because of your tardiness.

Suggestions for next time: contact Maedhros at the same time you start the debating thread (or even beforehand), so that you get the topic straight away.
In this case, it would have given you prior warning that Maedhros would be in this debate, and he could have given you the name of someone else to contact earlier on.

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
Originally posted by Aulë
:rolleyes: You don't need to get all narky over it, GG.
I wasn't being angry with you or anything, just disappointed.
I know that you have moved recently, but if you thought you couldn't handle it- I know that several other GoT members would have jumped at the chance to help you. All the other hosts managed to get the topic on time, so I don't see where you are getting from there...
It's just that even if you tried your best, everyone else has to suffer because of your tardiness.

Suggestions for next time: contact Maedhros at the same time you start the debating thread (or even beforehand), so that you get the topic straight away.
In this case, it would have given you prior warning that Maedhros would be in this debate, and he could have given you the name of someone else to contact earlier on.
I asked Maedhros for the topic and he answered I should ask somebody else.So Ithy was on the right place in the right moment.But this change of the person who should have told me the topic caused the delay.And something else,which I said,we had to be sure that the both teams don't have anything in mind against the topic.Anc argued about it for a while,but now everything is ok.
So I just don't see why you should be disappointed ,when if there is any fault it is not mine but ours.
Anyway,I don't see any reason of continuing arguig whose fault it was,but to enjoy the debate between the two best guilds in my opinion.

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
In the word of Gil-Galad:

...enjoy the debate between the two best guilds in my opinion.
No truer words were ever spoken!:D

But seriously, GoS had a hard time getting our team together, then there was concern over one of the debate participants being the one who approves the debate topic, then there was concern over the topic itself.

Stuff happens. All of it was legitimate and nobody was dragging their feet to any unreasonable extent.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by baragund
In the word of Gil-Galad:
...enjoy the debate between the two best guilds in my opinion.
No truer words were ever spoken!:D
Now that is debatable....
(Oh the irony ;) )

And the scoreboard would suggest otherwise... :D (Well....at least for the GoS part of the statement)

Although I'd admit that for the given topic, these would be the two Guilds that I would hope to be debating.

Ithrynluin

seeker of solace
Staff member
Reaction score
Aulë, isn't FoolofaTook the tournament coordinator? Or are you still the life and soul behind it all? :rolleyes:

This one was tricky, in that all the people that are normally in charge of choosing/approving topics were IN the debate. Weren't you yourself a little disoriented about it? Not everyone is aware of what to do in every possible situation. So cutting a little slack and dropping the harsh tone would be in order. Okay?

Because of you, the other teams shall have to wait around for the GoS and OiE to catch upBecause of you, the other teams shall have to wait around for the GoS and OiE to catch up
Actually, I think they'll enjoy the break. 7 rounds of scheduled debating can sure take its toll on people.

Now hopefully we'll get the debate rolling soon.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by ithrynluin
Aulë, isn't FoolofaTook the tournament coordinator? Or are you still the life and soul behind it all? :rolleyes:

This one was tricky, in that all the people that are normally in charge of choosing/approving topics were IN the debate. Weren't you yourself a little disoriented about it? Not everyone is aware of what to do in every possible situation. So cutting a little slack and dropping the harsh tone would be in order. Okay?

Now hopefully we'll get the debate rolling soon.
Nope, FoaT is the sole TO. I'm just dangling rag-tag now. :D
I just seem to be extending the schedule for the debate on a weekly basis now...

I guess we can forgive GG for this, and he has been doing his best to get things going. But let us hope that this serves as a lesson to future hosts to PM Maedhros well ahead of time (eg, a week before the debate if nessesary). :)

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Aulë, isn't FoolofaTook the tournament coordinator? Or are you still the life and soul behind it all?
I'm very much the one in charge, for better or for worse. If this was unclear, or if I somehow failed in a responsibility, I apologize, and only offer up the explanation that I was unaware of any such occurance. I was not unaware of the delays in the debate in question, and in fact I believe that I even stepped in to try and get the debate started as best I saw fit, given the sensitive nature of the issue.

Aulë

The Larrikin
Reaction score
*updates scoreboard*

Hooray! :D
For the first time since Round 5, we have all the results in before the next round has finished :D
Well done GG- you managed to get things under control at last. :)

Four Guilds can still win this Tournament because of this result :D

Thread suggestions