🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

RP 35A: Hope?

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
RPG#35A - Hope?

Turin Turambar fell in the First Age
On the sword of Eol. Its told he fell for
Glaurung's cage of words his soul
Ensnared with eyes of dread that stared
And into him bored, and telling him lies
That were not bared, as climbing the gorge
Up darkling sides, to come he dared
To Nargothrond's gate. And there he slew
Lo Morgoth's worm, yet he swooned and Fate
Led Niniel there too, and seeing there Turin
And thinking him dead, she cast herself
From top of the cliff. Yet Turambar was fed
On such lies himself he refused the belief
Of his loved ones end. So he fell upon Brandir
And with Gurthang's swing and swift came his end.
And yet coming near, elves of grey Thingol king
Made suddenly clear that his act was unjust
And so then despairing, a voice did he hear
That spoke of lust to take life beyond wearing
Twas the black sword, of steel dark and callous
A cold voice calling, for the soul of its lord
Life ended with malice, Turin threw himself falling
Down upon its sharp blade. Sword and its master
Were encased in the mound, ill will in steel laid
Lest more disaster befall - should it be found.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Foreword part 2!

Welcome to Book 2 of RPG 35.

This thread is for the actions of the good guys to post be posted on. This is going to be a great story, and I hope you want to join in.

If your character is more the absolute badass variety, you should try the 'Despair!' thread, where you will be more than welcome.

As with the other thread, please PM me, before joining! I am keen to get everyone into the story that wants to be there, but its important I understand where your character is coming from etc.!

Have fun!:)

Last edited:

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
August 15

In the Great River Inn, on the Great East Road, in the Vale of Anduin, the wandering minstrel finished the song and opened her eyes. Swaying slightly, she seemed slightly dazed. 'Turin Turambar? I never knew that tale set to verses.' she mumbled to herself. 'Where did those words come from, unbidden to my mind...?'

She looked round the inn to see who was there...

Last edited:

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
Eve had just settled down to her pint, when she saw a stranger walk in, mumbling to herself. With a sigh she stood up, and decided to offer a pint to the stranger. "Come, and talk. I'll buy you a pint, it seems that you could use it."

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
'Thank you friend' said the minstrel smiling wanly. 'You are kind. I feel so...' Almost falling, she managed to lower herself into a chair.

'It's not right is it?' she said quickly. She looked up from under her dark hair as the barkeeper brought over her the pint, and flashed him another smile of thanks, an echo of the fair looks of days past.

'This is nice. What's your name? Did you hear my song? Its cold today for August. Well its not really my song at all. At least I can trust you. I think the cold has killed the bees, don't you? Call me... call me Lark.' Perspiration gleamed on her brow, and the pint shook as she weakly lifted it. 'Its nice and quiet in here, don't you think. I like the quiet. Hello. Eve, that's a nice name. I wish there were more people in here, a minstrel can't make enough to live when the roads are so quiet. Did you say your name was Eve? Turin Turambar... how strange... Please help...' Her voice trailed off into murmurs.

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
"What is it that you needhelp with? How did you know my name is Eve, I dont remember telling you before? And if there is any doubt in your mind, you can indeed trust me, Lark." Eve lifts up her mug and takes a sip of her pint. She looked into Lark's eyes and saw them swimming with worry, and anxiety.

M

Mormegil

Just then, Mormegil, who had been staying at the Inn for a few days on Ranger business, left his room and walked into the bar.
Seeing his friend Eve in the bar talking to a stranger, he orders himself a drink and sits next to Eve, eyeing the stranger suspiciously.
'Hi Eve, all is well I hope'.

Mormegil looks at the stranger.
'You look weary my friend, have you travelled far?'
'What brings you to this part of Middle-Earth?'

Mormegil's drink arrives and he takes a long sip.

Afterglow

Reaction score
It's a Yellow Wizard Reunion!!

Afterglow stops by the Inn because she saw EverEve in the window. "How ya doin?!" She says running up to her. Then notices all the other people. "Hello everyone! I am Afterglow." *Bows*

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
"I am not sure if all is well, but i would like you to meet Lark, Mormegil and Afterglow. I am glad to see my fellow Yellow Wizards here, it makes this place seem...uh.... more lively. "

Kit Baggins

Thain Kit I
Reaction score
A bolt of lightning suddenly lights up the doorway, revealing a short, stocky figure wearing a yellow cloak. Kit grins at the other yellow wizards, and Lark. When he sees Lark's expression, his good-natured face fills with concern.
"Are you all right?" he asks her.

M

Mormegil

Mormegil is pleased to see his fellow Yellow Wizard's.
'It is a while since we have been together friends. Now let us hear what troubles Lark'

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
"we must be quite a sight. four wizards dressed in varying shades of yellow. but, there are more important matters on hand than what we are wearing. Lark, please, tell us yur story." Eve takes a long gulp of her pint, finishing it up. she cant help but to order anther one. "Waiter, please bring me five pints. *gets strange look from waiter* Please dont give that look, kind sir, not all of them are for me. I would like one for everybody at this table...... Now Lark, would you begin your tale, or would you rather wait for the pint?"

Valar

King of Gondor
Reaction score
*Valae arrives on Menelus and walks in and spots Mormegil*

"Hello my young ranger friend, how are you enjoying being a ranger"
*Spotting kit and his other friends*
" Greetings everyone"
*Sits down in the cornr with his pipe*

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
Hello there Valar! And how are you this cold evening?

M

Mormegil

Mormegil nods at Valar.
'Hello my friend, I am enjoying being a Ranger very much'.

Valar

King of Gondor
Reaction score
"I am pleased to here it. I am as well as to be expected with all this trouble brewing."

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Larks stares round, disconcerted at the new faces around her. The doors have swung open so many times, a frosty air has crept into the room. The inn-keeper shouts for his son to fetch firewood.

‘Trouble? Where? What’s going on here?’ cries Lark, standing up suddenly, her chair toppling over behind her.

‘You! Black Sword? Is it you?’ she stares at Mormegil wildly. ‘Did you put this song in my head? Why must I sing it? Please let me be.’ He notices at once how pale and gaunt she looks.

She looks round at everyone, shivering. ‘You are all wizards. Please make him stop.’ She tries to sit down, but just in time realises her chair has fallen, and nearly loses her balance. ‘Its so warm now, isn’t it?’ She shrugs out of her cloak and lets it fall, and stands shakily.

‘Wizards! Perhaps I won’t need to go to Rhosgobel now. I don’t know if I could go that far, now I’ve so little food. Especially since...since...’ She trails off, the shadow of a memory passes across her face. Unsteadily she leans forward to reach for her pint. She lifts it barely an inch, before it slips through her grasp, and bangs on the table and foams slightly. She shakes even more, and her eyes struggling to focus. She sways again, and her knees start to crumple beneath her…

Valar

King of Gondor
Reaction score
*Valar rushes foward and lifts Lark of her feet. She is falling in and out of concineces. He slowly carries the maiden upstares into room above and lies her in a bed. As he looked down on her he could see a shadow pass over her eyes and she broke into a cold sweat.*
"Evereve could you fetch me some hot water and some fresh food, this young lady is in need of care"
* After Larks was taken care she fell into an uneasy sleep and valar sat in the corner by the window with his pipe. Outside a storm started to rage*
He says to himself
"So it begins"

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
Eve, who had been standing just outside with the water and food, walked into the room. "What begins Valar? Is there something we should know?" Sitting the water and food on a table next to Lark, she looks at Valar with a quisitive look in her eyes. "What is wrong with Lark? Can I help her Valar?" The quisitiveness slowly tturned to concern and worry. Eve went out and retrieved Valar and her drinks and settled down next to Larks bed.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
The inn-keeper bustles in with some warm broth, and soft bread. 'Is she alright 'n' everything, like?' he asked, worried. 'When she arrived she didn't look too good to me. But she said she wanted to sing, although I said there's no money to spare for minstrels 'n' such. Not in these days, with the Old Road being so quiet. I'm hard put to it as it is, and I can't deny I'm pleased to have so many guests all of a sudden. And it'll be worse when winter comes. I'll be bound. And that might be tomorrow, the way it feels tonight! I'm sorry I can't treat you to no mead as I'd like, but the Beornings have no honey to spare for that, they say.'

'Still it don't look like she will be going to Rhosgobel like she said, not for a while anyway. I don't like to go so close to the forest myself 'n' all, besides.'

Larks eyes opened for a while, and she struggled to speak. 'But I must, I must. Unless these wizards can tell me why I sing that song, I will find another one. Or... or... you could go and ask him.'

She sips a little soup, then falls asleep soon after. Eve sits by her bed.

A little later, Lark sits bolt upright in bed. Her eyes open, but stare straight ahead. She begins to sing the song again. Its strange melancholy words ring clear with Lark's voice, and can be heard clearly from afar. She finishes her song, and sags. Tears form. 'Not again... I hate that song!'

Last edited:

Thread suggestions