🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

RP 36: Redemption

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
Dark forces were beginning to make their presence known throughout Mirkwood. An ancient evil was stirring at the southern edge of the great wood and with the advent of the discovery of Dior's sons by one of the evil minions of this power, Magnus had cause to rejoice in his dark heart. "Soon Elf-lord! Soon you will once again know suffering as you fail once more to save your kin. It will be my privilege to send you weeping back to Mandos."

As the company made camp, Nildadari found herself drawn to Turig, but told herself what had happened culdn'y have been real. She shook off what she felt was a moment of weakness brought on by the death of Alfirin and the orc attack. The fact that she caught him glancing her way several times as they bedded down and Maedhros took first watch, only made her the more comfused. At last, weary with trouble, she slept fitfully.

Maedhros

The Tall
Reaction score
Mirkwood is the name of this ancient forest, Caimarë told me, then he went to sleep near his sister Nildadari and Turig. Heregruth as always kept a watch near Eve.
As I looked into the sky, i kept my watch on our party. Eäritilia seems very tired from this last ordeal, she seems like she wants to say something to me but when I go near hear, she lies down to rest. We all need our rest, she too, our times grows short and now our real quest begins.
Barahir seems fine, he is still a little wounded but he should be fine.

As I looked in deep in the forest, I'm haunted at the image of the place, it brings me memories of Doriath, that day when we attacked Dior and his people, the day that some of my brothers died. It was in a forest that my people abandoned the twins to perish in the forest. How could that happen with my own people? Had we become that perverted?
The dragon mocks me, even from afar i can feel his mind. From the very beginning of the quest, I have felt his presence, it's what we called Osanwe. He can grasp only certain parts of my mind as I can of his.

He has showned me that the twins lie in the protection of an ancient maia (wizards as they are called now). Was it a slip or is he baiting me. This time it's different Magnus, my purpouse is noble and remember, Day shall come again, the Night is passing.

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
The night, with it's darkness and silence, wrapped itself around the small company. A mixture of grief and anxiety was so heavy on Eve's heart, it seemed that she could hardly breathe. As she bed down for the night, the true reality of what had happened that fateful day. And it was almost more than she could bear.

In the pale light of night, Eve observed her grief-stricken companions. Faintly, she could see the outline of Maedhros. His usually straight shoulders seemed slightly slumped to her eyes. Next to her, she could see Herugurth. She knew he would always be there. Slowly, her eyes became too heavy to hold open, yet, for a long while, sleep would not come...

Mormegil

Exceptionally Superfluous
Reaction score
Night turned to day, and Herugurth awoke from a night of broken sleep and strange dreams. Instinctively he turned to face Eve, making sure that she was OK.
As Herugurth glanced around the camp he saw that he was the first awake. He got up and strolled through the trees to see if he might catch some rabbits for beakfast. And sure enough, ten minutes later he returned to the camp with three slung over his shoulder.

As he entered the camp he saw that Meadhros was awake, "I thought you'd deserted us" Meadhros whispered to him.
Herugurth laughed and slung the rabbits to the ground, "No, just out getting some breakfast"

Herugurth began to skin the rabbits, and as he did this he asked Meadhros "Where are we heading next?"

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
They had escaped from the Great Goblin and were now able to continue on their quest. But the dragon flying around and causing land-slides on the mountains had attracted attention. In the shadows of Mirkwood something Dark and malignant turned its thoughts towards the place where they rested.

"An Elf, moreover one that should not be here in Middle-earth and in company looking for something. I must find out more of this strange thing."

As they prepaired to move on the creature in Mirkwood kept watch to find out where they were going and why!!

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Turig eyed the brace of coneys greedily, by his reckoning he hadn't eaten in two whole days. Even the hardy brigand had his limits. The battle under the mountains had taken much out of him, alas he was no leaf-nibbling elf, even now his stomach groaned in displeasure at it's empty state. He felt sure it was that which had woken Nildadari from her slumber. She gazed at him even now, making he feel most uncomfortable, and was that accusation in those bright elven eyes? He did his best to put the events of the previous day out of mind, wary of the reaction of his companion to that stolen kiss.

'Are you going to cook those?' he grunted to Herugurth. 'Or is the custom of your people to swallow small animals whole?'

Nildadari almost choked at this statement, the dark-elf was not a one to take such statements lightly. Turig however seemed unconcerned, and the elf-maid breathed easier when the brigand smiled and began preparations for a small fire. 'I thought not - roots and berries are more to your liking, eh? Just hurry up and skin those coneys elf... I for one refuse to march on an empty stomach...'

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
Wondering at Turig's sudden gruffness, Nildadari rose from her bedroll, picked up her bow, slung her quiver across her back and walked off some distance from the camp, both to survey their surroundings, but also to escape her internal confusion each she met Turig's eyes with her own. "Fool!" she said to herself angrily, "He is mortal, not one of the first-born! What are you thinking?" She wished for once she wasn't on such distant terms with her sister, that she could confide her thoughts to her. But she turned away from those thoughts even as they sprang into her mind. She was far too independant for that.

In the north-west corner of Mirkwood, strange shadows and shapes drifted among the trees, shadows that had no business being where they were. Magnus sensed the stirring of malice that seemed to be coalescing near a certain cottage, no more than a mere hovel in truth, wherein dwelt what passed for a simplw man and his two companions ...

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
I was invited to take up the role of Caimarë

Caimarë had woken up very early. It was still night although the stars high above were fading and the sky was growing pale. He first listened carefully. Silence. Sweet music could not have been more tender to his ears and soul than SILENCE ! After the fight under the mountains and the horror that almost broke his heart seeing his beloved sister being captured and then badly injured, after the burning sorrow at Alfirin’s death, after the terror under the shadow and fire of the fierce dragon, now the air was cool and SILENT! He was still lying his eyes shut and all his senses perceived with utmost delight that pleasure.

Then Caimarë opened his eyes and without even stirring he looked as far as he could. He saw the fire almost dead by now and he saw the silhouette of the Lord Maedhros by it. The High Elf sat motionless, his soul either floating far in the fair gardens of Lorien or his mind burning with heavy memories. Whatever the reason was, the Lord from the West sat still, his head bent and not a sound coming from him.

Caimarë then slowly roleld to his right and looked upon Nildadari. She was still sleeping. Her face was so fair and calm. He remembered how he used to love watching her sleep when they were but children. He still did. She looked so fragile and tender! Nothing like the brave elf-warrior that these hard times and cruel lands had turned her into!

A sound came to Caimarë’s ears. He listened. Herugurth! Where was he heading to? Hunting, perhaps? The thought came simultaneously with a sharp sense of hunger that he felt. Caimare smiled. Hunting!! We’ll see who’s a better hunter here!
He waited for Herugurth to disappear into the wood and got up quietly and slipped out of the camp as stealthily as a shadow.

The wood was dark, yet Caimarë could feel the presence of wildlife around. He went deeper among the bushes and the trees – a shadow amidst shadows in the coming early morning.

He now felt every part of his body – still young and strong. The fight on the previous day brought no serious wounds to him and now the cool morning air was healing what pain could have been left. He felt alive and full of desire to live all the years and ages of the immortal life the Gracious Eru had envisaged for him. Suddenly his thoughts were turned away from the forest, from the hunt from his little contest with Herugurth. He thought of Maedhros.

Ever since he first met him, Caimarë had felt deep respect for the High Elven Lord. So proud and yet so sad was he! For ages he had lived – alive and dead, having a fate to awe at…and to pity, perhaps. Strange! Caimarë felt no anger, no resentment towards the unfortunate hero of the past ages! No anger! No resentment! No!! Respect and sympathy – that’s what filled the heart of the young elf.

“I don’t care what he did in the past!”, his thought ran swiftly and as cool as the air around him. “Whatever he did he must have had some vital reason.” An oath… He sometimes had heard Maedhros speak of some oath! “That must be! A High Lord could have never broken an Oath! Not Maedhros!”

And at that hour of the Sun rising above the hushed wood , without knowing it, Maedhros gained a friend, a most loyal and trusted one in the face of the young elf Caimarë!

For in that particular magic moment when light pierced the shadows of the night, Caimarë swore a life-lasting allegiance to the High Elven Lord from the Blessed Realm.

Late! He was late! Now Caimarë remembered about the hunt and feeling a little annoyed, he involved all his keen senses to action.

Yet, now he felt somehow differently. He had found a cause, a purpose, an aim to live for and he felt complete!

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
As the first rays of sun were making their way into the sky, Eve awoke from what seemed an endless night of troubled dreams. Her sleep had not been wonderful, but she at least she was more alert than she had been yesterday. Slowly, the Elf sat up and stretched her muscles. She looked around. Where was Caimare and Herugurth? And Nil for that matter!

Eve stood up, strapping her sword to her waist, and picking up her bow as she went. The fire was all but dead now, only the embers glowing softly near the bottom. It didn't take her long to realize she wasn't hurt badly at all. Bruises and some cuts here and there, but honestly nothing too bad.

Still stretching somewhat, she wandered over to the fire, near where Maedhros stood. "Good Morning..." she said to him. "Are you alright? Yesterday was hard on all of us...especially you..."

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Light were the feet and sharp the vision of young Caimarë while he was searching for game in the woods. His arrows sang as did his soul and the death they brought to the wildlife was like the mercy of Eru the Creator.

Elves, however did not hunt like the savage Easterlings, killing without any reason. Soon Caimarë gathered enough to be proud of.

“Herugurth shall finally have to admit my skills!,” smiled he and looked around to find the path to the camp.

And he truly saw one – a thin black ribbon winding around the mighty pillars of the ages-old pines or shying under the tender shadow of the leaves of the low bushes…

Caimarë stopped for a moment and wondered. He could not remember seeing this path before. And as it seemed, it lead to a direction a bit North – East from the camp. He looked around and listened. He could hear faint noises coming from his companions and he smelled the smoke of the camp-fire that someone had already revived in the cool morning…

“Well”, Caimarë thought, “everything seems quiet and calm. Someone has already brought breakfast. I bet Herugurth! But lunch will be abundant!…. Now, let’s see where this path will lead me…”

And thus, Caimarë carefully stored the hunted game on the branches of the nearest tree and after he had assured that the “precious trophies” were well hidden, he ran along the mysterious path.

North and a little East it lead and soon Caimarë noticed that it became straighter and wider. No tracks there were… at least no such of dangerous beasts or wild folk, nor elven or human… The soil that covered the path was strangely fine and totally black. Caimarë stopped for a moment and looked back to look at his own tracks on the path. There were NONE! It was as if he had flown not stepped on the firm ground!

“How strange!”, thought Caimarë. He hesitated for a second. Now he knew not what or who had passed along the same path before him and what of who might be waiting behind the next turn… But he also felt a strong desire to continue on! It was as if some power commanded his thoughts and his whole being – Go on! Find it!

Find it?!!!! What??!!!

No more hesitations; and the young elf ran on whereever the path lead.

In a few moments, for Elves run swiftly and Caimarë was very good runner, the young elf had passed quite a distance and he noticed that the path became wide as a road. On both sides there was dense vegetation, but he could see walls hidden under it.
Old walls. Ancient walls! …. And that strange speechless call that he was feeling!… It had become so strong… almost unbearable!

Caimarë slowed down his pace yet went on along the black road.
It was so quiet! Now he realized that even the usual humming of the wood insects was not to be heard, nor the merry singing of the birds… NOTHING!

He felt as if he had fallen into another world…. Or … could it be in another time?!

As he was thinking in wonder, he suddenly froze.

He could not believe what his keen eyes were looking at….

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
Barahir lay, ignoring those around him. Not for the first time in his life, he envied the Eldar. Not for their beauty, their knowledge, their strength, or their long life. Only because of their knowledge that they would be reunited with their loved ones. They knew that upon dying, they would go to the Halls of Mandos. Here would all the Eldar be gathered, to be reembodied after purifying themselves. While not seeking death, the Eldar had little reason to fear it. It was not an ending, not a permanent separation. For men, the gift of IlĂşvatar was to leave Arda, where Mortals went after death was a mystery. There was no way of knowing the fate of a friend killed in battle, a parent struck by old age, a sister murdered before her time. All these separations Barahir had now experienced, but this latest was the most harsh. After his mother's death, he had been comforted by her peace, by the knowledge that she had a full life. After his sister's, he had sought revenge blindly, finding comfort in this. Upon finding the murderer in the company of Maedhros, his plan was thwarted, but soon his attention was shifted to his friend, whom he had known for all his short years. Alfirin did not deserve to die. Not after finding, after all these years, his kin. Not after finally meeting his father's brother. Not after finding a cause he could live for. Not after being given the hope of acceptance by his people should this quest succeed. Not after finding life for the first time! All his life, Alfirin had searched for his identity. Finding this, he was in the same instant branded a murderer and outlaw. Barahir had willingly joined him in exile, and because of this Alfirin had joined him in seeking revenge. If only Alfirin could have lived to see their quest succeed! If only he could have lived to be recognized for what he was: the son of Maglor, the elf-lord doomed by the Silmarils and the Oath to wander the shores Middle-Earth until the End.

At least Alfirin had been allowed to meet his kin, to find a company where he was indeed treated as an equal.

Barahir could not clear his mind of these thoughts. If only, if only, if only. There was no reason to ask, no purpose in continuing to ask these useless questions. There was nothing else to do but try to fufill what they had begun-- to help Maedhros find redemption.

Having come to this conclusion, his thoughts strayed to the company. An Elf-lord, the brother of his friend's father, returned from the Blessed Realm, Elves who had lived in Middle Earth for many lives of men and were counted young, an outlaw, the murderer of his sister. This was perhaps the strangest. Upon finding Turig, he had forsworn his revenge temporarily, but unwillingly. Now, he pitied Turig, and understood him as he never thought would be possible. Now, they were the only Mortals left in the party.

Coming to an uneasy peace with himself, Barahir slowly sat up, leaning against a tree. Caimarë was gone, probably hunting. Herugurth was preparing his catch over a fire. He heard Eve speak to Maedhros. "Good Morning. Are you alright? Yesterday was hard on all of us...especially you..." A wave of bitterness swept over him, with the thought what did these elves know of hardship? They did not know the pain of death and separation. As soon as it came, it passed. Maedhros knew pain. He knew, had witnessed the pain. He had seen the bitter fruit of the kinslaying and the Oath. This is one who knew pain and bitterness. This is one Barahir could follow, would follow, until his death.

YayGollum

Conscience of TTF
Reaction score
Columbia, South Carolina, the United States of Nor
*not far to the north from where Caimare now stood, a bent figure in a brown cloak walked beneath the leaves accompanied by two companions, his two companions spoke softly to each other and the old man looked at them fondly, remembering --->

Many lives of men ago, he had found two elven babes in a forest, bodies laying all about them. They were hungry and crying and he had felt pity for them. At the time, he had been a spirit, one of the Maiar from before the creation of the world, and for the first time in his known existance, Radagast was bewildered. Before anything further could happen to these two, he found a bear couple and spoke to them, asking them to guard the twin boys. After overhearing the Valar speaking of the imminent destruction of the lands west of the Ered Luin, he made haste and sent the boys eastward with their bear guardians. Not long afterward, he and his fellow Istari were sent into the east, and he eventually found the boys in the forest of Greenwood the Great. Having assumed human form, he found that the twins were wild as they would have been, being brought up by bears. He won their trust and assumed their guardianship, bringing them to live with him in his dwelling in the north of the forest. His decision to keep them secret was not only for their safety, but for his companionship, even though he would not admit this even to himself. --->

A raven lighting on his shoulder shook Radagast out of his reverie and he listened as it spoke to him* "I have news. A party of elves and men have entered the forest and a few of them seem to be heading this way. Also, a dark spirit has been seen coming from the south. It is heading toward an old tower where we saw a young elf all alone. Be on your way and I will swiftly bring you word if I or my kin spy anything else." *the twins looked to Radagast curiously, for news that the ravens brought was always of interest to them* "Elured, Elurin, strangers have entered the forest. Until I can discover if they are of any danger, hand me your bows and quivers and go back home. Now be still." *the twins laid their bows and quivers on the ground and as they stood still, Radagast extended his hand and pointed his staff at them, muttering words of power.* In their place stood two brown bears looking up at him intelligently, one snorted to the other and they turned and began shuffling away from their mentor. Radagast's brow furrowed in concern* "A spirit in the south, eh? I remember from Saruman's last council that Sauron was on the move. I certainly hope that it is not he." *as he walked away, he did not notice the two bears turn back south for they had heard that there was one of their kin in trouble, and for the first time in their lives, they chose to disobey their guardian*

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
A sudden chill swept through Nildadari and she headed back to camp, with the feeling that something was not right. There she saw Herugurth and Turig, still grumbling at each other, neither sparing her a glance. She didn't see Eve, but knew she was near. Maedhros too she sensed and Barahir as well, but Caimare...where was her brother? The hair on the nape of her neck stood up and she went to tell Maedhros that her brother might be in danger.

Turig watched as he passed by and his glance did not go unnoticed by Heruguth. Frowning, he tossed the dressed rabbits at Turig and bade him keep his eyes to himself. Turig responded with a rude gesture and was treated to a colourful stream of Elven profanity.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
As Caimarë looked at the ancient tower he felt a strange presence, dark and baleful. He looked around but could see nothing but the trees and shadows. Whatever it was, it was close and it was evil.

As soon as Caimarë started heading towards the tower, the dark shape in Mirkwood had moved out to meet him. From the shadows the dark one watched as Caimarë looked all around and he thought "So you think that you can wander around here alone and be safe from me? Well it is time that I had words with you to find out just what you and your companions are doing in land". With a swift thought one of his creatures moved out to take the Elf prisoner.

Caimarë saw the creature but could not believe what he was seening. It could not be! The Nazgul had not been heard of since the fall of Sauron in the war of the Last Alliance!! Before he could do anything about it the Wraith struck him with the hilt of his sword. The last thing he heard was a hissing voice which said "My master wants you!"

The Necromancer of Dol Guldur looked on and then commanded that the Elf be brought to the dark tower within Mirkwood. "Soon I will know all he can tell".

Maedhros

The Tall
Reaction score
As I sat here in the camp, I can't help but smile at the words between Heregruth and Turig, then and just then I noticed that I haven't smiled for a long time, my deeds and actions were dictated by an oath.

Just as I began to relax a little, I sensed something evil, a presence that should not exist in this place. I see Nildadari coming towards me, she seems anxious about something. Before she can speak I say: We must make haste everyone, evil is nearby, we have to depart now.

Nildadari then tells me about her brother Caimarë who is missing from our camp. We must find him before that evil presence. Led the way Nildadari, no one could track your brother better than you.

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
The others began to hastily break camp as Nildadari ran on ahead. Her brother was the only one she had ever felt close to, who seemed to understand her and she would not allow anything to happen to him. She could sense his fear and it spurred her on. She put all thoughts of Turig out of her mind in her concern for her brother. She gritted her teeth, vowing to kill anyone that touched him.

Magnus circled lazily overhead watching the unfolding scene below him. He saw the transformation of the twins and he saw in which direction they went. His evil heart rejoiced. "Now, is the time, son of Feanor! Now is the time you will pay for presumption in returning. Your brother's kin will die and there will be nothing you can do. But first...this ancient one has worked his last magick." Magnus stooped and flew down to land before Radagast who drew back in surprise and narrowed his eyes at the Dragon.

"Forgive my curiosity wizard, but I happened to observe a most wonderous thing. I saw two Elves become bears. How is this possible? And more importantly...why?" Magnus settled down and stretched out his fore-legs, extending his claws lazily. The wizard froze. "What in Iluvatar's name was a Dragon doing here? Yavanna, give me cunning." he thought as he calmed himself. "Great One, where have you come from? I am known to every bird and beast in this forest and in the lands here abouts, but never have I beheld a creature so intimidating." The Dragon's eyes became lidded and he dug his claws into the soil. "Come now...let us not bandy words. I know that you are the guardian of a great Elf-lord's kin, an Elf-lord who's flesh I greatly desire. Give them to me and live. Give them not...and die." He rose to his full height and towered above the wizard. Radagast appeared to fall to the ground, then disappeared.

Magnus roared deafeningly and flames shot from his gaping maw. In anger so great he could barely see, he leaped into the air, and flew south.

Turgon

Ghost-King of Gondolin
Reaction score
Turig cursed silently as he saw Nildadari sprint away, though he could not help but admire the ease with which she leapt from rock to rock. She had the grace of a mountain lion - fierce and fleet of foot, her hair trailing in the wind like a mane of tawny silk. But once again it seemed that trouble had found them, grabbing his axe and the beaten wreckage of his cloven shield, he jumped to his feet and sprinted after her. Alas - he was no elf, the mossy rocks were treacherous, and his booted feet found little purchase on them, he soon found himself falling behind. More than once he stumbled, crumpling into an ungainly heap with a string of profanities upon his lips.

'Nildadari!' He yelled upon one such occasion, as he lost his footing and tumbled headlong into a gulley. 'Curse you! Slow down...' Again when danger loomed the company had fallen apart... weren't these elves supposed to be the wise ones? Pulling himself to his feet Turig yelled again, he had lost sight of the elf-maid all together now. 'Damn you wench...' he muttered as he set off in search of her. 'You'll get us all killed...'

chrysophalax

Dragon of Note
Reaction score
Nildadari paused in her head-long flight as she heard Turig's cries from behind her. She was desperate to find her brother, but now her heart was divided. Cursing herself, she re-traced her steps and found Turig swearing heartily as he fought his way back up the side of the gully.

She stood at the top, her hands on her hips as she watched. She admired his determination and the fact that in his own gruff manner he seemed to care for her. "If only I thought he truly cared for me..." she thought, then shook her head. "We must aid Maedhros before anything else can take place." She crouched down and extended her hand to him, then pulled him up the last few feet. Looking him over, she satisfied herself he wasn't hurt, then turned and they ran side-by-side toward where she knew Caimare to be.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Caimarë awoke to pain and darkness. The Pain however was just because of the Blow that knocked him out and soon eased. The darkness was a different matter, he was in some kind of cell. Before he could start looking around a door opened and two orcs crept in. Caimarë would have quite happily strangled the pair will little difficulty but for that which stood behind them just outside the Cell.

He had not been mistaken then. It was one of the Nazgul. Sauron was no more so who then could control even one of these?

At the command of this creature the orcs grabbed Caimarë and dragged him out of the cell and along a corridor. At the end of which was a large door. Like the walls of this dark place they were black with a symbol carved into them. As they got closer he could see that it was the likeness of an Eye, open and with no lids.

The Door opened and Caimarë was brought before the evil presance within. Strong willed as he was there were few indeed even of the great Elf-Lords who could stand before the dread Necromancer of Dol-guldur. The will of this creature bore down upon Caimarë who tried as best he might to turn aside the questioning. But even as Finrod long ago he failed and fell. In doing so all that he knew was laid bare to the mind of Sauron The Necromancer.

So it is Maedhros returned from Mandos to seek the ones guarded by the wizard in these very woods. And Magnus is seeking them also. I think it is time that I spoke to that Dragon. But perhaps this Elf will be of some use to me.

With that He turned once more to Caimarë and spoke to him. "You will go back to your friends and that faithless leader. But when I call you will do my bidding". Caimarë was led out of the tower and sent with a troop of orcs back to the tower where he had been captured. At least when the company "Saved" him from the orcs it would not look like he had been released.

Lhunithiliel

FĂ«anorean
Reaction score
Caimarë was brutally thrown down on the ground by the Orcs and they left him there lying near the ancient tower he had found this very early morning.
Long echoed in his mind the odious laughter of the hideous servants of Morgoth while they hurried away!

Then came silence. This time Caimarë did not enjoy it. For it was not the healing and peaceful silence of the woods but the one in his mind. Like a heavy black darkness it was! Darkness - eating his bright and keen elven mind! He tried to fight it. He tried to clear up his senses.

And then came the pain!
It cut his mind as a sharp blade and Caimarë shrieked aloud surprised at feeling it. And together with it flashed a red lightening! Right inside his head! And as if looking from aside with some inner sight Caimarë saw the eye – staring at him, lidless, flaming, red, commanding…
He could not escape from that vision! The eye held his mind, his senses, himself ! And it emitted commands and pain…. Such a sharp pain!

The young Elf cringed and took his head with both his slender hands, trying to free his mind from the vision and the pain it was bringing to him.

It passed…. He sighed with relief… He tried to remember what had happened to him… He tried to remember who he was and where he was…

Friends… Nildadari….. Maedhros….
Fair names and fair faces appeared in his tortured mind ….
Maedhros! Nildadari! Friends!…. He must warn them!…

Warn! Of what?… He made a new effort to think clearly … And the red lightening inside his mind was swift to strike again!!!! The pain returned and the burning eye set in flames his head with even a more fierce power.

He gave up…. The pain faded and the vision in a moment did as well…

And it was silence again…. And Caimarë let the darkness fall all over his mind. One thing he did understand – he could not fight it, cause it came from the eye!

He lay on the dusty road leading to the mysterious tower – senseless, miserable, not knowing who he was and what would happen to him. He cared a little about the future now.
When he woke up it was dark. The first thing the bright elvish eyes saw was the sky above and the thousands shining stars that adorned it. Caimarë took a deep breath and sensed the cool air that filled his weary body with some strength and relief. He stirred and lifted from the ground. He was all alone in the middle of nowhere…

For a few moments Caimarë sat and listened but could not hear anything else than the noises of the night. Slowly…very slowly and as if with utmost caution he let his thoughts flow. He did not understand why he should be cautious with his own thoughts, but somehow he knew he had to be careful with what he was thinking…. He felt as if he had to protect his mind from some horrible disaster.

Then he remembered everything - about his companions and about his hunt in the woods while the day was still young and fresh……He remembered finding a secret road and how this road had lead him to a strange tower…He remembered how he was surprised to see no tracks of his feet on the dust on that road….He remembered…. A blow ….and …..

Darkness!
He remembered no more!
Darkness filled his mind and…......fear.

Thread suggestions