🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

RPG RULES: Read this, please!

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Rpg: The Manual

Greetings all role-players! This manual is a general collection of some advice and rules regarding RP's in the RPG Forum.

First off, let me tell you what a Role Play actually is. An RP is a sort of turn based story. The person who starts an RP sets the basic foundation of the RP, but players are allowed a bit of freedom, as long as the rules are followed.

Secondly, I would like to instruct you to add your character's description to the RP Profile thread before participating in the RP's. This allows others to see what your character is like and gives you a bit of background as well. Follow the general format shown in most of the profiles seen there; and if you wish to change your information, by all means do so (just no drastic changes).

Please read and follow these rules!!

#1 Permission

I. Before starting any role-play, any person wishing to begin an RP must send a private message to Ciryaher with a plot outline and request to begin the story. You will be answered as soon as possible with a verdict and any pertinant comments.

II. Any RP that has not been cleared through me will be deleted WITHOUT WARNING, THE INSTANT IT IS FOUND. Save yourself some embarrasment and heartache and ASK before you post a new RP.

#2 Thread Limits

I. An RP may have no more than two threads--one for the story and another for the discussion. They should be named using the following format where 'x' is the assigned number of the RP:

RP#x - <Title>
RP#x - Discussion
II. The story thread is for the story, and the discussion thread is for discussions about the RP for which it was made ONLY. All out-of-character talk should be in the Discussion, and it should pertain to the story ONLY. No chatting.

#3 The Story

I. STAY IN-CHARACTER!!!!! This cannot be stressed enough. There are no Coca-colas, Adidas shoes, Remington shotguns, M1 Abrams main-battle tanks, Lamborghini Countaches, Doritos, Titanium, etc. in middle-earth...SO DON'T PUT THEM THERE!

II. Do not kill, speak for, or manipulate another persons primary (the main characters a person uses) or secondary (supporting characters that have a large role) characters without their permission. Tertiary (characters that have only short appearances and minor roles) characters should only be killed, spoken for, or manipulated when needed.

III. Do not use ridiculous numbers, strengthes, or characteristics for anything. For example, an army of five million psychic orcs wielding sub-machine pistols. Make the story something that is believable.

IV. Do not make your character(s) invincible. Be willing to let them be harmed or influenced for the worse if the story would be made better for it.

V. Follow the storyline. Do not deviate severely without the RP author's permission.

VI. You may have more than one character, and in more than one RP.

#4 Other

I. If the RP author asks you to make a change, do so. If the change is questioned or wrongly imposed, either party may send a private message to Ciryaher.

II. If a moderator requests that a change be made (language, content, etc.), please do so. If the poster of the subject in question wishes to submit a reason for the content/language/etc., they are welcome to--but the moderator's decision is final.

III. All in-character arguments shall be kept in-character. If an argument becomes out-of-character, it should be restricted to the discussion. If this argument is severe, it shall be restricted to private messages. Any personal attacks or other matters that break the Forum Rules shall be swiftly and thoroughly dealt with.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Questions, comments & suggestions are welcome! :)

Last edited:
G

greypilgrim

As far other players go; what if a player is caught up in a situation within someone else's game, and they don't do anything? If they are DEFINATELY in danger of dying, what then?

Can they die/be killed in the game because that character didn't respond to save their own lives or something?

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Unless you know that the person who is playing the character is gone for good, try your utmost to avoid killing them. Drop them out of the story somehow, but don't kill them. That way when and if they come back and start whining, you can say that you had to move on, and you won't have broken the rules.

Player-killing (PKing) is highly regulated, seeing as it is a very heavily-impacting event.

And thank you for your rule-complimenting ;) It took a long time to try and make sure there weren't any holes, but if you see any or have a suggestion, I will certainly add it (and if it is a good enough suggestion, I'll put a credit in there for you :D)

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Mainly to monitor what is going out into the RP boards. I ask for anyone asking permission to submit a short synopsis of their RP idea and base my approval on that.

In addition, I require requests to make sure that there aren't too many RP's going on at one time.

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
I've had to tell people to wait, or to give me more information (and not receive it back), but I've never received a request that was so bad that I declined it (not that I remember, at least).

G

greypilgrim

Will a moderator ever "pull the plug" on a game? For conduct, or anything?

LadyDernhelm

Back from the Dead
Reaction score
RPG question - this is different on every RPG site. Do you have to have the permission of the author to participate in an RPG, or can you join anytime? I LOVE RPs, so I was just wondering...

Last edited:

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
Usually, the author will say whether or not you need to ask permission, or whether the RP is invite-only. If it isn't indicated, it is in good form to ask anyways.

G

greypilgrim

LOVE_STORY_RPG??????

I've seen some crazy things before, but.....
:D

Ciryaher

Witch of Resurrection
Reaction score
What isn't allowed, I guess, would be along the lines of:

1) Overly explicit violence. Eating internal organs of someone still alive, things like that.

2) Explicit sexual scenes. No describing mechanics of intercourse, please. We have young members whose parents would object to such things. Describe it emotionally and abstractly, if you have such a scene.

I can't think of anything else that I'd have to moderate. Don't press it, though. ;)

CelebrianTiwele

To-Be Celebrity of TTF
Reaction score
just to let you know, the ignorant heathen rpg was moved here from the green dragon inn (not really sure why since it took place in the green dragon inn) so obviously we havent cleared it through you. just letting you know so you don't delete it. to others: ummmm please don't join. the members are: CelebrianTiwele, Calime Silvana, Jericho, and Chrys

Last edited:

Ledreanne313

Reaction score
Forum Queston

Greetings. I am new to the site. I do not feel like getting envolved in stories that I have not see the start of. Since that, I was wondering if I may start my own RP story. I have many questions about this topic:
A. How do I submit my story to you?
B. Does this story need to envolve Tolkien's Middle Earth (and even if it does not, I probably will use his Middle Earth, yet I am curious)?
C. Can I join any RP at any time? Meaning make up my own character and just fix them into the story (without permission).

Thank you very much for the time put in to reading this, for I greatly apperiate it.

Anne

Thread suggestions