🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sarcasm in Lord of the Rings

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goroshimura
I'm gald Mr Harad and Mr. Variag weren't at the Council of Elrond-- definitely would have ruined the occasion-- and the book!! (At any rate, sarcasm seems to conflict with the general tone of the work....)
Here's a challenge for you all: can anyone come up with some cast-iron examples of sarcasm in Lord of the Rings?

I just know you're all gonna think this is SO important!:D

H

Harad

If I had my book here, I would get RIGHT on it. Heck, I might just go out and buy another copy since I consider this thread to be SO important.

But seriously folks, how about Denethor, Grima, or Saruman (Aruman?). They seem like prime candidates for the use of sarcasm. Hey! How about the Mouth of Sauron--tailor made.

Faramir

Reaction score
Samwise is pretty sarcastic as well. I love the time they are caught in the snow storm on the side of the mountain, and Strider says that they wouldn't be able to find a place that offers better shelter against the wind, and Sam says "If this is shelter, than one wall and no roof make a house."

H

Harad

I beg to differ. That's not sarcasm. Thats irony. Ok...maybe its onomatopoeia.

Isildur's Bane

Reaction score
on what planet is that irony? planet alanis morrisette?

just out of interest, which continent are you from Harad?

H

Harad

Is there anyone in this rout with authority to treat with me? - he asked. - Or indeed with wit to understand me? Not thou at least! - he mocked, turning to Aragorn with scorn. - It needs more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why, any brigand of the hills can show as good a following!
Any doubts?

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
Saruman to Gandalf:
Later! Yes, when you have the Keys of Barad-dur itself, I suppose; and the crowns of seven kings, and the rods of the Five Wizards, and have purchased a pair of boots many sizes larger than those that you wear now. A modest plan. Hardly one in which my help is needed!

H

Harad

Gandalf to Grima:

- You are held wise, my friend Wormtongue, and are doubtless a great support to your master, - answered Gandalf in a soft voice. -

H

Harad

Gollum to the Good Guys:

- We are lost, lost, - said Gollum. - No name, no business, no Precious, nothing. Only empty. Only hungry; yes, we are hungry. A few little fishes, nasty bony little fishes, for a poor creature, and they say death. So wise they are; so just, so very just.
Geez, you guys are pretty wise your own selves. Really caught me when I called that "irony." What was I thinking?

Isildur's Bane

Reaction score
Originally posted by Harad
Gandalf to Grima:

- You are held wise, my friend Wormtongue, and are doubtless a great support to your master, - answered Gandalf in a soft voice. -
Harad, spot on sunshine. as we say at home , Gandalf is ripping the p*ss.

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
not sarcasm, perhaps

...or at least not Sam's sarcasm, anyway, in the conversation I'm thinking of, between the Gaffer's loyal son and Ted Sandyman at the Green Dragon in Bywater in "The Shadow of the Past". He says that his cousin Hal has seen giant Tree-men walking across the North Downs, a report which Ted treats with dismissive derision, but Samwise stoutly insists that "our Halfast" should be believed in the matter. Halfast = Half-assed, get it? This is one of the very few hidden jokes in LOTR that I know the secret password to open, and what sarcasm there is in it belongs to Tolkien and not Master Gamgee, but it's the only contribution I can provide on short notice to embellish such a very important thread...

Last edited:

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
How about this from Grishnakh the Great to Ugluk the Inadequate?

'Well, here we are,' sneered Grishnakh. 'Fine leadership! I hope the great Ugluk will lead us out again.'

H

Harad

oooh nasssty. Nothing like trampling your vanquished foe.

Worm! Worm! - Saruman called; and out of a nearby hut came Wormtongue, crawling, almost like a dog. To the road again, Worm! - said Saruman. - These fine fellows and lordlings are turning us adrift again. Come along!

Thread suggestions