🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sauron in the Shadows/Morgoth in the Void

Stephen J. Servello

Reaction score
After Sauron's defeat when he lost the Ring, he and the Nazgul were said to have been banished to the Shadows and 13 centuries later, reformed and returned to Middle-Earth from out of the East.

Question: What are the Shadows?

Question: Did Sauron and the Nazgul have any sense of awareness during this time?

Why rise in the East and was this beyond Rhun?

On Morgoth, likewise, how was (is) his sense of awareness while cast into the Void?

Thanks for listening. If I've been redundant from previous posts, I apologize.

Steve Servello

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you read that he and the Nazgul were reformed? I don't think Tolkien ever wrote about this or that it's canon, more likely fan fiction.

I don't think any of the other questions were answered by Tolkien.

Galin

Reaction score
In my opinion Sauron was fully physical by the time of Gollum's questioning, and by the time he declared himself openly, but I think "sometime" well before these events is possible.

Generally speaking, Day has a bit of a reputation of jumping to conclusions, or not clarifying "fact" from his opinion (not as easy as it seems sometimes).

With respect to the Nazgul, Appendix B notes that c. 1300 Third Age "The Nazgul reappear"

Last edited:

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
My source is: "Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopedia" by David Day. Under "Nazgul."

Steve Servello
My apologies, I was thinking after the Ring was destroyed not after he lost it in the Last Alliance. I never heard that he was banished to the void, I don't think he'd be able to escape from that if even Morgoth couldn't. I think his spirit just fled until it could become strong again.

Thread suggestions