🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sauron the Balrog

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Here is a quote from the Silmarillion:

"Then Sauron shifted shape, from wolf to serpent, and from monster to his own accustomed form."
Sauron is mentioned as being the only Maia that could shift shape, for he was the greatest of the Maia in sorcery. Is it possible that he could have taken the form of a Balrog? I am asking this because the concept interests me and I would like to hear the opinion of others.

LadyGaladriel

Lady Of The Golden Wood
Reaction score
Hmmm i feel very unknowledgeable because i haven't read the sim yet BUT i thought that Sauron needed the Ring to make any physical shape?
Also didn't someone mention that there was a deep evil there already in Moria which partly made the Dwarves leave?
I thought also that Sauron wasn't very aware of Where the fellowship were because Elrond had said they would do better with Secrecy than Strength of Men ect

Camille

Of the Edain
Reaction score
I do not know it is possible but it is never said in any of tolkien works as far as I know.

tyeruler

Reaction score
I don't think that Sauron transformed into a Balrog. He just shape shifted into a deathly creature of his own make. And I don't think that Tolkien meant to make it seem that Sauron was in some way a Balrog. Just the villian in an epic. But I think you have a very good point and good imagination!!!

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Out of the mouth of the babe (Junior Member). Thankyou for your comment tyrelur, I will look for your posts in the future.

Originally posted by LadyGaladriel
Hmmm i feel very unknowledgeable because i haven't read the sim yet BUT i thought that Sauron needed the Ring to make any physical shape?
Also didn't someone mention that there was a deep evil there already in Moria which partly made the Dwarves leave?
I thought also that Sauron wasn't very aware of Where the fellowship were because Elrond had said they would do better with Secrecy than Strength of Men ect
LadyGaladriel, Sauron could take physical form in LoTR.

"There are four fingers on the Black Hand."
Gollum says this. Tyrelur, I never said that Sauron actually did transform into a balrog, I suggested that it may be possible. There is a difference between the two.

Last edited:

Niniel

Random Quoter
Reaction score
I don't think Sauron took the shape of al Balrog. I suppose he could have made himself look like one, but that doesn't MAKE him one, of course. The Balrogs are a kind of Maia that are stuck to their own shape (like all the Maia except Sauron), and that makes them a sort of race of their own. Sauron could have taken their shape if he wanted, but I agree with Tyeruler that Sauron created a monster of his pown to cahnge into.
As for Sauron's physical shape, somewhere in LOTR it says that after he was defeated by the Last Alliance he lost the ability to change into any form he wanted, but could only take an evil shape, and is does not say that he could change that shape he was in. He needed the Ring to do that, so while he didn't have that he was stuck in his evil shape. I don't know at what particular point you want Sauron to have taken a Balrog's shape, but it can't be after the Last Alliance.

LadyGaladriel

Lady Of The Golden Wood
Reaction score
Originally posted by tyeruler
I don't think that Sauron transformed into a Balrog. He just shape shifted into a deathly creature of his own make. And I don't think that Tolkien meant to make it seem that Sauron was in some way a Balrog. Just the villian in an epic. But I think you have a very good point and good imagination!!!
(about the shape of Sauron)

Ahhh but i thought after he lost the ring his power was crippled and couldn't take any form and so hence his Nazgul were handy

Gamil Zirak

The Ladies' Dwarve
Reaction score
Sauron only changed his shape to those beasts because he wasn't to escape the grasps of Huan The Hound of Valinor. I would say that Sauron could take on most any shape he would want, but he only did to when he needed to (i.e. with Huan described above and when he deceived the elves in the making of the rings). I guess it becomes a question of whether Suaron wanted to take the shape of a Balrog. If he needed to take on the shape, I believe he would/could have.

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
Originally posted by LadyGaladriel

(about the shape of Sauron)

Ahhh but i thought after he lost the ring his power was crippled and couldn't take any form and so hence his Nazgul were handy
This point has been much debated, but Sauron could take a physical form in the Third Age.

"There are four fingers on the Black Hand."
That is what Gollum tells Frodo. As for Shiloh, this thread is simply hypothetical. I aroused the fact that Sauron may have been able to take the shape of a Balrog because he could shape-shift. I was asking the people on this forum whether or not that this evidence could bring us to the conclusion that Sauron could take the form of a Balrog if he wanted to.

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
i think that sauron would not have been able to take place as a balrog because they are sdpecial and deadly creatures taught the way by morgoth
there spirits are fire
he would have been able to take the place of other things though

he was very talented

but i think in the 3rd age he wouldnt have been able to take the plave of anything

Thread suggestions