🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sauron wearing rings

Heruhim

Registered User
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
exiled in Harad
I am re-reading LOTR for the upteenth time and something just striked me...
How is Sauron to wear again the One if his shpae is that of a fiery lidless eye? He hasn't got a finger now, has he?

Any ideas?
 

Lantarion

no house
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
3,734
Reaction score
6
Location
Finland
Hmmm.. good point. I suppose if the Ring was delivered to him, and Sauron was in the same vicinity as the Ring or right next to it, his power that has been stuffed in the Ring for so long would give him the might to create his own form again.. That's just a theory, though.
 

UngattTrunn475

O Fierce Wildcat
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Location
Traumet River
I agree with Pontifex, the power of the ring would turn Sauron into his original form. Maybe the orcs would try to throw it into the eye if they had gotten hold of it.
 

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Joined
Jan 18, 2002
Messages
698
Reaction score
0
Location
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by UngattTrunn475
I agree with Pontifex, the power of the ring would turn Sauron into his original form. Maybe the orcs would try to throw it into the eye if they had gotten hold of it.



I doubt the orcs would have thrown it. They would be "attached" to it like anyone else. It would be the nazgul giving it to Sauron. They are the only ones that could be trusted. The orcs are remember orcs.
 

UngattTrunn475

O Fierce Wildcat
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Location
Traumet River
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow





I doubt the orcs would have thrown it. They would be "attached" to it like anyone else. It would be the nazgul giving it to Sauron. They are the only ones that could be trusted. The orcs are remember orcs.
Yeah, I suppose. The orc would probably be obsessed with it, and be killed by the Nazgul.
 

Aroghel

Elven Lord of Light
Joined
Feb 22, 2002
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Location
I travel. . .
how come when Bilbo put on the ring, he wasn't in the "Twilight World" of sauron (white clouds and steem and air everywhere) like when Frodo put it on? . . .
 

Cian

sylvan madman
Joined
Sep 19, 2001
Messages
530
Reaction score
2
Originally posted by Heruhim
I am re-reading LOTR for the upteenth time and something just striked me... How is Sauron to wear again the One if his shpae is that of a fiery lidless eye? He hasn't got a finger now, has he?
Any ideas?
Yes he does have fingers :) Gollum described how many. Sauron ultimately rebuilt his physical form in the Third Age (in the form of a Man according to JRRT, not an eye) and was de-bodied with the destruction of the Ring. Tolkien explained that Sauron was always "de-bodied" when vanquished.
 

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Joined
Jan 13, 2002
Messages
1,965
Reaction score
6
Location
Down the rabbit hole...
Cian beat me to it. Sauron was able to take physical form in LoTR, however, the form of an eye was more suitable for his purposes. Sauron did not go invisible because he could control the Ring, and if anyone knew how to use the Ring properly, they wouldn't turn invisible either, because I have read somewhere that the Ring only made you invisible if you either didn't know how to use it properly, or if you wanted to use it specifically for that purpose. As for Bilbo not going into the 'Wraith World', that is a great question. When Bilbo did, Sauron had not 'arisen' in might, nor had he called the Ring to him as maybe as which to why Bilbo wasn't sent to the 'Wraith World' where as Frodo was because Sauron had declared himself and had called the Ring to him.
 

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Joined
Jan 18, 2002
Messages
698
Reaction score
0
Location
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
Originally posted by Ulairi
Cian beat me to it. Sauron was able to take physical form in LoTR, however, the form of an eye was more suitable for his purposes. Sauron did not go invisible because he could control the Ring, and if anyone knew how to use the Ring properly, they wouldn't turn invisible either, because I have read somewhere that the Ring only made you invisible if you either didn't know how to use it properly, or if you wanted to use it specifically for that purpose. As for Bilbo not going into the 'Wraith World', that is a great question. When Bilbo did, Sauron had not 'arisen' in might, nor had he called the Ring to him as maybe as which to why Bilbo wasn't sent to the 'Wraith World' where as Frodo was because Sauron had declared himself and had called the Ring to him.


THats right.
 

Kelkorian

Registered User
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Who here thinks Sauron is a pansy for wearing rings?

ME!
I do!
Me too!
Me three!
Agree with that, yup!
Got a point there, John!
Hey! Give me your lunch money!!
 

gimli_alvevenn

Registered User
Joined
Feb 11, 2002
Messages
38
Reaction score
1
Location
Forodwaith ( or Norway, if you will)
how come when Bilbo put on the ring, he wasn't in the "Twilight World" of sauron (white clouds and steem and air everywhere) like when Frodo put it on? . . .
It was probably because Saurons spirit had not yet started to look for the ring after he was slayed by Isildur. You must remember that it takes about twenty years for Frodo to wander to Bree and Rivendell, after reciving the ring from Bilbo.
 

Kelkorian

Registered User
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Is it written in the book about the "Twilight World" or is it another invention of PJ? I don't recall any passage mentioning it...
 

Lantarion

no house
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
3,734
Reaction score
6
Location
Finland
It's in the book. And it states also that the ELf-lord at the Ford of Bruinen, Glorfindel, had such a negative effect on the Nazgûl because Elves (like Maiar) could travel and live between the Seen and the Unseen world. I think the twilight zone :) that Frodo goes into is the Unseen, where the true forms of the Nazgûl dwell, among other horrible things, I imagine.
 

Heruhim

Registered User
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
exiled in Harad
Re: Re: Sauron wearing rings

Originally posted by Cian


Yes he does have fingers :) Gollum described how many. Sauron ultimately rebuilt his physical form in the Third Age (in the form of a Man according to JRRT, not an eye) and was de-bodied with the destruction of the Ring. Tolkien explained that Sauron was always "de-bodied" when vanquished.
Sorry, but wasn't Gollum metaphorical, or even delusional? As far as I have misinterpreted the book, Sauron, having put most of his power into the ring, was not strong enough to changing shapes again, (or assuming a beautiful and noble and thereby deceitful appearance). I had it in my mind that the eye was the only shape Sauron was strong enough to assume.
 

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Joined
Jan 13, 2002
Messages
1,965
Reaction score
6
Location
Down the rabbit hole...
No Cian, he could take physical form, Gollum was being tortured, but he wasn't dillusional. The form of the Eye is more suited to Sauron, becuase with that form it is easier for him to see further than in his physical form.
 

Cian

sylvan madman
Joined
Sep 19, 2001
Messages
530
Reaction score
2
Originally posted by Ulairi
Cian beat me to it. Sauron was able to take physical form in LoTR, however, the form of an eye was more suitable for his purposes. ...
Indeed I didn't beat you to the second part, because I don't agree with it :) Tolkien described Sauron as taking the form of a man in the Third Age, not an eye.
 

Cian

sylvan madman
Joined
Sep 19, 2001
Messages
530
Reaction score
2
Re: Re: Re: Sauron wearing rings

Originally posted by Heruhim
Sorry, but wasn't Gollum metaphorical, or even delusional? As far as I have misinterpreted the book, Sauron, having put most of his power into the ring, was not strong enough to changing shapes again, (or assuming a beautiful and noble and thereby deceitful appearance). I had it in my mind that the eye was the only shape Sauron was strong enough to assume.

Tolkien described that it took Sauron "longer" (JRRT's choice of word) to rebuild his form after the Last Alliance than it had after the fall of Númenor. In the letter I am thinking of, JRRT does end that it was impossible for Sauron to rebuild after the destruction of the Ring (I note, not loss).

Tolkien can write: "I note your remarks about Sauron. He was always de-bodied when vanquished." because Sauron was indeed 'debodied' again after Gollums fall. For myself I see no reason to think that Gollum's description was metaphorical. I'll add a further quote regarding Sauron's form as a Man when I get me hands on it.

typo-fix edit.
 
Last edited:

Cian

sylvan madman
Joined
Sep 19, 2001
Messages
530
Reaction score
2
Originally posted by Ulairi
No Cian, he could take physical form, Gollum was being tortured, but he wasn't dillusional.
I'm guessing this is a mis-type :) because I'm indeed saying that Sauron took physical form in the Third Age.
 

Thread suggestions

Top