The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sauron's physical form in the Third Age

CWOBrien

AlatarPolando
Reaction score
The films obviously portray Sauron as confined to the form of lidless eye. But did Tolkien intend for this to be just a metaphor for his near-omniscience?

Did Sauron in fact have a body during the third age? And if so, why didn't he come forth to lead the war effort himself?

I like to imagine, if he was weakened by the loss of the ring, he might have conducted himself like the Almighty in the (admittedly awful) film 10,000 BC: this frail ruler, waited on hand and foot by his servants, exercising power from behind the scenes:

Or maybe this would be more analogous to the Black Numenoreans ruling over the Haradrim.

What do you think?

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Last edited:

CirdanLinweilin

The Wandering Wastrel
Reaction score
Sauron had a physical body. Gollum says, ""Yes, He has only four fingers on the Black Hand, but they are enough," said Gollum shuddering.
I am just now realizing.

Frodo of the Nine Fingers
Sauron has NINE fingers.

How am I *just* now realizing this?

The One Ring does and doesn't like fingers apparently.

CL

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score

grendel

Reaction score
I have always been fascinated by the passages where Pippin looked into the palantir, because it is the one time (in LOTR) that someone actually interacts with Sauron. I feel sure that if Pippin had seen a great eye, he would have said so, but he did not. He DID say "Then he came. He did not speak so that I could hear words. He just looked, and I understood." My impression anyway, is that he saw a face, a person.
And I am endlessly amused by the idea of the Lord Sauron the Great, refugee from the War of Wrath, survivor of the wreck of Numenor, is peering into this stone and saying, somewhat confused, "Who ARE you?"

Miguel

Reaction score
And I am endlessly amused by the idea of the Lord Sauron the Great, refugee from the War of Wrath, survivor of the wreck of Numenor, is peering into this stone and saying, somewhat confused, "Who ARE you?"
Maybe Pippin was the last person he expected to see, or wanted to know his name just like Baggins.

Reaction score
I did not particularly care for the sequels to the first live action Hobbit film but actually giving Sauron a physical form with a loss of fingers like in the LOTR books was a great improvement over the LOTR trilogy.

Ron Simpson

Reaction score
Yes Aragorn saw him as well, and who knows what he saw: face or something else...
It gets even more strange, for who knows what Sauron saw when he interacted with Aragorn in the Palantir?
Remember Aragorn's cryptic comment about showing himself to Sauron in 'other guise than what you see here' (or something like that)
-does anyone know what Aragorn meant by that ? (I am assuming he didn't moon the Dark Lord, hehe )

Olorgando

Reaction score
Yes Aragorn saw him as well, and who knows what he saw: face or something else...
It gets even more strange, for who knows what Sauron saw when he interacted with Aragorn in the Palantir?
Remember Aragorn's cryptic comment about showing himself to Sauron in 'other guise than what you see here' (or something like that)
-does anyone know what Aragorn meant by that ? (I am assuming he didn't moon the Dark Lord, hehe )
I think in one part PJ (to my memory) may have hit a rare nail on the head: he had Viggo show Sauron Andúril, the re-forged Narsil - giving Sauron a severe attack of phantom pain about the missing ring finger. And for the book, perhaps Aragorn had enough resemblance to Isildur (the direct cause of Sauron's phantom pain) to have caused Sauron to feel the need a change of (lower) underwear (there's a thread about hypothetical metabolism of Ainur embodied in Arda somewhere else in TTF).
THAT is another scene that PJ totally wrecked and turned on its head by then having Sauron project some scary vision of Arwen back at Aragorn that made Viggo (as I have to call him here) drop the Palantir. I remain adamant about who needed the change of underwear, no matter if caused by sword or face! (this is Gandalf the WHITE vs. wimpy Witch-king territory from the film to me!). :mad:

Thread suggestions