🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sauron's REAL name!

Úlairi

Crying in the Wilderness
Reaction score
I would like to know if Sauron had a real name for Sauron means: "The Abhorred" and seeing as Sauron was a maia of Aule in his original existence he was in beautiful form and I'm sure Aule wouldn't have been so cruel as to name someone as: "The Abhorred" (Abhorred meaning "mis-shaped or deformed"). We all know that names were given to maia such as Gandalf (Olorin) so if names were given to the maia before any of them were corrupted what was Sauron's original name?

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
Sauron's real name I think is Sauron. Gandalf said of him that he doesn't permit his true name (Sauron) to be spelt or spoken. He was called Gorthaur the Cruel by the Sindar Elves I think.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
In the Silmarillion it states:
Among thoes of his servants that have name the greatest was that sprit whom the Eldar called Saruon, Or Gorthaur the Cruel. In his beginning he was on the Maiar on Aule, and he remained mighty in the lore of that people.
But I know of no other name mentioned for him.

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
He also was called Annatar, "Lord of Gifts" by the Noldor of Eriador under Celebrimbor.

Cian

sylvan madman
Reaction score
Sauron (in the SA) not only Annatar but Aulendil, and Artano "High-smith".

An early name for Sauron, something in Valarin maybe?

Brent

Reaction score
Originally posted by Eonwe
Sauron's real name I think is Sauron. Gandalf said of him that he doesn't permit his true name (Sauron) to be spelt or spoken. He was called Gorthaur the Cruel by the Sindar Elves I think.
In The Black Gate Opens, the Mouth of Sauron hails the Captains of the West with an introduction: 'I am the Mouth of Sauron'.
Yet earlier in The Lord of the Rings, Aragorn says of Sauron that 'Neither does he use his right name, nor permit it to be spelt or spoken...' (The Two Towers III 1, The Departure of Boromir). The Mouth of Sauron, though, uses the name several times without apparent embarrassment.

So either he's a) not bothered cos the boss isnt there
or b) Sauron doesn't use the name "given" to him in the begining of things.

Mayberry

Reaction score
Speaking of Sauron

I have always wondered why the so-called "Mouth of Sauron" used his Master's name so readily, too. I think example a (the boss isn't around) sounds reasonable. Most of the men who followed Sauron were probably power-hungry egotists who wouldn't mind dropping a forbidden name if it put fear into the hearts of their enemies.

Brent

Reaction score
I prefer option B) and suspect that somewhere JRR had a name for him along the lines of "Great Smith" or something like that, as he was of Aule's people. He certainly would NOT want to be reminded of that.

F

Fankil

Saurons real name

Hi all, first post on this forum.

While I don't know for sure I do have a possible answer. In Lost Tales vol 1 a character described as Melkors servant shows up as a corruptor of men around the time they first appear in Arda. It's name is Fankil. It is known that Sauron was Melkors greatest servant and believed that he went to his side soon after the great discord. I think that perhaps Fankil is in fact Sauron and that his early dealings with men may have been his first known "evil" act, in the service of Melkor. Just a thought.

Nazgul_Lord

Reaction score
While Sauron is not his original name to my knowledge, it never states his original name, so we are only left with Sauron. (Maybe it was his original name)

7doubles

Silver Star Tobaco Co.
Reaction score
rumil quoted"some say melko returns even now as a cloud through the door of nite but in truth that is Thu" as writen by pengolod III.

Elfarmari

Tingilindë
Reaction score
I don't think that the Mouth of Sauron would be using Saurons name simply b/c his master wasn't there. It says in LotR that he calls himself that because he cannot remember his own name. I would think this means that he is completely under Saurons control, and wouldn't do anything his master ordered him not too. I think it makes sense that Sauron must have had an original name, and that he wouldn't want it to be mentioned.

Thread suggestions