🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Science Fiction writer claims LOTR is racist for discriminating against orcs

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I found this article in my News Feed and was blown away at how stupid it is, anyone else see it? I'm actually ashamed that I gave the article the time of day to even look at it.

The Lord of the Rings series has been branded 'racist' by a science fiction writer who claims orcs are discriminated against and written as inferior.

American author Andy Duncan said British author JRR Tolkien depicted evil creatures such as orcs as 'worse than others' and said this had 'dire consequences for society'.

The criticism comes despite Tolkien being known as a fierce critic of racism, particularly the Nazi Germany regime in the 1930s and 40s.

Elaini

Lost in Eä
Reaction score
The whole society structure that Orcs might have is based on slavery, invasion and survival of the fittest from the start, and they were captured, tortured and marred Elves to begin with. They weren't raised out the earth.

The only trace of free will they might have left are based on selfish goals, vengeance and glee. They have a lot of hatred, but they have forgotten the cause of it, serving it instead.

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Well, it seems to me to be just one more trying to make a name by attacking that which he cannot emulate.
A case of "any publicity is good publicity", I guess. He wrote a parody, with "Senator Bilbo" trying to keep "migrant orcs" out of the Shire. I'd take his criticisms about as seriously as I would those from the writers of Bored of the Rings.

Elaini

Lost in Eä
Reaction score
Wait, so what are we meant to do? Try to feel sorry the nassty orcsess and let them take over Middle Earth? Holy Smokes!!! Really?
Racism is one thing, constant evidence of the wrongdoing without a shadow of a doubt is another.

Besides, they don't just kill their enemies. They hunt their enemies for dinner, like the free peoples were some kind of game to them.

Thread suggestions