🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sean Astin better start eating!

PRH

Reaction score
If there's gonna be reshoot for TTT, I sure hope Sean Astin gets back to the weight he was at for primary photography. He had to put on like 30lbs for the role. He talked in interviews about how much he hated it, having a gut. I think I remember something about how relieved he was to lose it again.

I certainly hope he gets back to the same weight because I hate it when the actors look different in the reshoots. A prime example of this is Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace. His hair was his own for primary photography and it was a wig for pick-up shots. He also looked pastier or a little bloated in certain shots. It was really distracting.

Here's a very recent picture of Sean Astin (a meet & greet around 2-21-02). Compare to a photo in costume. Does he look the same? Not way off, but not quite right.

Attachments

PRH

Reaction score
Here's one more from the same event (no I wasn't there)(these came from theonering.net)

Attachments

apan14

Reaction score
couldn't he just wear latex? I'm not so sure about asking a person to negatively affect his health, especially for a reshoot.

Talarion

They're thieves!
Reaction score
Yes, they will probably fit him with latex as they did with Dominic. The reshoot won't be that big of a deal though so they will not be too worried about having actually 'authenticy' in Astin's weight.

PRH

Reaction score
Latex? Dominic? What's this? Merry wore latex?

As far as the authenticity - it matters if it looks different. If Sam looks at all different from one scene to the next, it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb. If they really think they can accomplish this with latex...well that wig on Obi-Wan begs to differ.

As far as negatively affecting his health, well the art comes first now doesn't it?

A reshoot is just as big a deal as principal photography. They both end up in the final cut (actually reshoots far more often).

Talarion

They're thieves!
Reaction score
They are not reshooting the entire TT, Only a few minor scenes and such. I highly doubt they are going to make Sean gain. If they fit him with a suit, it will look exactly like he did before. The Makeup artists can do anything

Latex? Dominic? What's this? Merry wore latex?
Yes Dominic was fitted with latex during the shoot. He said they he was constantly getting dehydrated and such cuz the suit was so hot.

PRH

Reaction score
They are not reshooting the entire TT, Only a few minor scenes and such.
You must think I'm a real moron to make a statement like that.

Yes Dominic was fitted with latex during the shoot. He said they he was constantly getting dehydrated and such cuz the suit was so hot.
I don't get it. Merry wasn't even fat in the least.

PRH

Reaction score
Originally posted by Legolas Lover
I heard that they're only doing scenes over to make it more sentimental... true????
They made up (wrote) some more scenes with the Frodo/Sam/Gollum stuff. That's all I really know.

And is this refilming going to affect the release date of the movie?
It'll still be out this December I'm sure.

Originally posted by bunnywhippit
Can i just say that i was wondering the exact same thing when i heard about the "fat suit". Maybe he's just really/abnormally skinny.
I never heard about Dominic wearing prostetics beyond ears and feet. The character Merry was quite skinny. We've seen him out of costume and he was exactly the same. Maybe it was just the makeup? Maybe you're all thinking of John Rhys-Davis? - he had major prostetics.

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
I never heard about Dominic wearing prostetics beyond ears and feet. The character Merry was quite skinny. We've seen him out of costume and he was exactly the same. Maybe it was just the makeup? Maybe you're all thinking of John Rhys-Davis? - he had major prostetics.
Oh blah. I think i'm just confusing myself again, that's all.

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
In my Sunday Times Magazine "Lord of the Rings Collectors' Edition" dated November 25th 2001, Dominic Monaghan is quoted as saying:

Peter Jackson, the director, had told me to get fat for the part. But I wanted Merry to be very quick on his feet, so I wore a fat-suit, which is made of foam and makes you sweat, then trousers over that, then a waistcoat, a cape and a hood. I had to drink 3 litres of water a day so I wouldn't get de-hydrated."

PRH: I agree he didn't look fat in the film. Maybe it was to do with the size thing. Getting them to look smaller.

Interesting that DM took this attitude: get really fat and be lumpy and not be yourself, or stay thin and wear a fat suit and be able to act.

PRH

Reaction score
This is very confusing...fat suit? Merry was completely skinny... Maybe they started out with the fat suit then decided it looked horrible...I don't get it.

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
I suspect most of us just don't appreciate how relatively thin most actors / models / sportsfolk actually are compared to the rest of us. Merry looked just right in the film, a normal hobbit, not fat but not skinny. I suspect the "fat" suit was very thin (quarter of an inch of foam?) and was really there just to give an impression of an outer layer of fat rather than muscle.

PRH

Reaction score
PJ spoke in February of a few new scenes between Frodo/Sam/Gollum that still needed to be shot.

son of bilbo

Reaction score
whats this?
they are doing more shooting for the TT?

I thought that they were done shooting.
Is PJ a big liar?
Have we been decieved.

Thread suggestions