🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sequel Question

Aragorn13

Reaction score
I just got done reading all the LOTR books including the Hobbit and am reading the Silmarillion right now. I was wondering if there were any books that continued on after the ring was destroyed? If so could you list them? Also, about the History of Middle Earth series, does anyone know if there is like any box set out there, or one big book with all of them in it? Thank You very much.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
With all the info JRR wrote on stuff before the War of the Ring, I've always wished he wrote a bit more on stuff afterwards. The only thing we've got to go on is the tale of Aragorn and Arwen in the Appendices. Which is good, but it's not enough!

:(

Aragorn13

Reaction score
Could someone list all of the Middle Earth books from one to whatever, so i know what to buy. Thank You.

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Reaction score
If you want a listing of Tolkien's books readily available for purchase, check out the web-links for Amazon in the US and the UK that are given at the top of the Forum, just below Master Anderson's excellent artwork.

As for any tales to be told of the time "after the Ring was destroyed" (beyond those given in the Appendices to LOTR), Tolkien did begin one such story, set in Ithilien more than a century after the fall of Barad-dur and titled "The New Shadow", but he left it as no more than a fragment, and ultimately decided that it was "not worth doing". The rather interesting manuscript history of the story, and the reasons that Tolkien gave for never bothering to complete it, are given in full in the twelfth and final volume of HOME, The Peoples of Middle-earth.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
The calendar in the Appendices of LotR give a brief overview of some events involving characters of LotR for the next hundred to two hundred years after the LotR. You might want to give it a quick overview. No real written material though.

Thread suggestions