🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Shadowfax: Does he look special?

Kelkorian

Reaction score
I don't think Shadowfax looks any more special than any other horse we've seen.
"'There are three,' said Legolas, gazing out over the plain. 'See how they run! There is Hasufel, and there is my friend Arod beside him! But there is another that strides ahead: a very great horse. I have not seen his like before.'

'Nor will you again,' said Gandalf. 'That is Shadowfax. He is the chief of the Mearas, lords of horses, and not even Théoden, King of Rohan, has ever looked on a better. Does he not shine like silver, and run as smoothly as a swift stream? He has come for me: the horse of the White Rider. We are going to battle together'

Even as the old wizard spoke, the great horse came striding up the slope towards them; his coat was glistening and his mane flowing in the wind of his speed. The two others followed, now far behind. As soon as Shadowfax saw Gandalf, he checked his pace and whinnied loudly; then trotting gently forward he stooped his proud head and nuzzled his great nostrils against the old man's neck."
According to the pictures we've seen, Shadowfax looks like any other horse. He doesn't shine like silver, or have great big nostrils ;).

I think PJ doesn't care much for the animals of LotR (i.e. Bill). I think Tolkien wanted to show that every race (may it be plant, beast, man, elf etc.) is special and every race has unique characteristics of it's own. That all races are equal civilization wise (i.e. leaders, heros, etc.).

I hope PJ will fix this.

Ordain

Reaction score
This is quite true. I also believe Shadowfax should be more magnificant, since:
"There is none like to Shadowfax. In him one of the mighty steeds of old has returned. None such shall return again"
But I will hold judgement until I actually see the film.

ssgrif

Sheppard of the forest
Reaction score
Lofty place a few days walk from Amon Sul
I would imagine that PJ was going for the simple approach for the representation of Shadowfax. Get yourself a nice white horse, so it stands out from the rest.

I would expect that shadowfax will indeed stand out from the other horses in the film, but there's only so much you can do to the horse before the animal welfare groups start complaining! Cant exactly go and spray it head to foot in silver paint now can they!

I think that PJ might get the horse to do certain movements or stares into the camera or to other characters, to make it look like he is intelligent and understands the speech of men.

elvish-queen

Isilwen Elenrohir
Reaction score
Wandering Middle Earth with my horse, Linta
d'you know how hard it is to let a horse know what you are asking it? i think if they don't give shadowfax a very glorified role it will be v. disappointing to tolkien fans, especially me!!! (i luv horses and have been riding for 6 years) it'll probably be hard for them, but they gotta really give him a character, it must be hard but the story won't be complete otherwise!
hope they do a good job!!:confused:

elvish-queen

Isilwen Elenrohir
Reaction score
Wandering Middle Earth with my horse, Linta
I know!!! they could borrow a lippizaner!!! (you know, white stallions of vienna?) they're super intelligent, outstandingly beautiful, and are trained to a very high degree! oh, and of course they're silver-white, (actually silver-gray in horse jargon). Perfect!! see, now why didn't they hire me to do the horsey bit of the movie? i would've glorified bill a bit more, and given shadowfax the biggest role in the movie...
(goes off sulking and muttering..)

(...realises something...)
??question??
have they made legolas ride bareback without a bridle? i know they can, i even know people who can train horses to do that, but can they train orlando??????:confused: :confused:

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
Well, the simple fact is that there just isn't a horse like Shadowfax in the world any longer. Because of this, Peter Jackson was forced to use the closest-looking real horse he could find.

Seriously, again we are judging the movie by a few poor quality stills. Let's give the film-makers some credit for knowing their business. I'm sure that when we see the movie in the cinema Shadowfax (and Gandalf too!) will look magnificient.

PRH

Reaction score
Shadowfax may go the way of Bill the Pony and just be along in the background. I hope not because Shadowfax was a much bigger character in the books than Bill. I certainly hope they make him into some sort of character rather than just a prop. If they do make a big deal out of him being a king among horses than surely they will alter his appearance in post-production. I wonder what kind of introduction we'll get to him.

Kelkorian

Reaction score
I hope they'll introduce him the same way they did in the book. Seeing a great silver horse running towards the company through open fields... That would be a pleasure.

PRH

Reaction score
Well, in the book Gandalf told of him at the COE (meeting him outside Edoras). We missed that already. However, like you say I hope they do introduce him the way we first saw him in the book TTT.

Goldberry344

Im back
Reaction score
We are you're overlords. Humorous Bombadillian wha
when JRRT says "Does he not shine like silver" he doesnt say "he doesnt shine like silver" he says "look at him?? doesn't he shine like silver?" indicating that Shadowfax DOES shine like silver. he is a great horse..."I have not seen his like before." indecatest that the horse is so beautiful there is no match to him. have you ever seen a "proud" horse?? they are georgeous and they know it.

then again, this could just be my interpretation. I ride horses and i have a wild devotion to them so when i read the description of Shadowfax i pictured a huge 18hand horse of pure shiny white. one you would never see in real life.

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
the Willamette Valley in Oregon, USA- the mudskipp
I sincerely doubt that they would use a Lippizaner, as they are (when not in ultra collected dressage frames that are impossible to get with out a weymouth) the ugliest horses to ever walk the earth. They are incredibly short, have these huge heads, and bull necks, and incredibly short backs. I know, I have seen them in person, and i have to say that they were nothing like "The Miracle of the White Stallions". From the picture, it looks like they might have used an Arabian out of the Kemosdabe++++ line. One of my friends owns one of his grandsons, who looks just like the horse in the picture. The only problem with a "show Arab" is that you can't do anything with them except show, because their legs are so fragile. (Sorry any Arab people I have offended) Also, they could have used Twinkle Toes hoof and hair polish (or maybe showsheen) to make him shine. but then Again, that would make it very hard for Gandalf to stay on his back. (I know, I have jumped my horse bareback after putting showsheen on her. It wasn't pretty.) This is kind of switching the subject, but when I first read TTT, I wondered if Gandalf wasn't going senile, dressing all in white and with a matching horse. That's like saying "I'm a target! Shoot me!" in battle.

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
I still doubt that they will use a Lip. They are still b*tt ugly w/out that dressage frame, and it is impossible to attain that frame with out a full bridle. besides, an untrained Lipp. (At least in the NW Usa, is abt $40,000. (I know, Iam currently looking for a new horse, and I called up a local L. farm, and that's what their cheapest horse was going for.) I sincerely doubt that they are going to spend that much money on a short, (the lipp. I saw were even more runty than my mare, which is really saying something, since she is only 15hh. Maybe they will use an Anglo- or Shayga- Arab, as they are generally taller, calmer, and hardier than your average "pure" arabian, and stil have the Arab "look". Besides, they probably want a horse that will look special to non-horsey people, and even though when you and I look at an Andalusian or Lipp, and we think, "Wow! Look at those haunches, and his sturdy legs! and that neck and head would allow him to do some awsome collections!" non-horsey people, (bear in mind, I'm generalizing on them from my mom) would say,"Why does Shadowfax look so fat and short?" Thank you for leeting me run off at the mouth, I just get a little passionate where horses are concerned.;)

I.am.Smeagol

Reaction score
Bah, I hope they dont use an Arabian (Although I love Shagyas....... *dreamy look*). I always pictured Shadowfax to have a more sturdy look to him. I ride at an Andy farm and you can get Andies and Lippies cheaper than that. I'm not exactly partial to the breed, though, I dont like how they are slightly sucked in and its quite hard to get them to extend. Hmm. I think that the perfect Shadofax would be a White Friesian (if there was such a thing.) Erm, yay. my random rant for the day!

Lol, btw, Didnt Arwen ride an Andy/Lippy in FotR? Looked like it. lol

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
Well, remember, I said where *I* live, which is in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, a barren wasteland for any sort of English riding (not to mention Dressage) there is only one Lippizan farm in the area that I know of, so that is where I got my price. (Now I am green w/ envy at you for riding at an Andalusian farm;) ) But I am glad tou agree with me about the Arabs.:)

I.am.Smeagol

Reaction score
*Giggles* Poor you, ah dont worry, I myself ride a good ol' Quarter Horse TB cross, no Andys for me! Bah, btw, almost all of the Andys here(wich are basicly lippies) are ridden w/ a Snaffle, no double bridles and whatnot, and they are in frame....

Shadowfax

Wandering Artisianette
Reaction score
:) btw- Quarter Horses rock (I have one)! I know you can get really well trained dressage mounts in frame with a snaffle, but I have never seen one do the airs in less than a weymouth (even though lipp. are ridden bareback for those!) But It would be really cool If they got a harse that could do that for a battle scene. if they do you might see me in the paper after getting arrested for attempted horse-napping ;) !<---------(joking)

Thread suggestions