🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Should Bilbo have killed Gollum

The Dark Walker

Reaction score
I mean it was old Smeagol that told Sauron of Bagins, and at last by killing the little squirmer Gandalf would have more time to prepare to destroy the Ring. I know that Sauron had risen yad yada, but it was said that he had overlooked Hobbits and was weakened by the loss of his ring, this would have ultimatly given the good guys way more time.

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
Gollum is too pitiful a character for anyone to kill, Bilbo was a sweet soul who didn't want to harm him and it was for the best that he didn't or else the entire Middle Earth would have been taken over by Evil Lord Frodo.

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
No bilbo should not have killed Gollum.

At the time when Bilbo found the One ring, Gollum was not in a position to force a fight although he had threatened Bilbo. It was the fact that Bilbo did not start his keeping of the One with a pool of blood that allowed him to escape with so little damage from it.

Also, if Gollum Had been killed in Moria, how would the One have been destroyed at the Cracks of Doom? Frodo did not have the power to overcome the call of the ring! Sam could not have willingly done harm to Frodo no matter what! That left only Gollum and his greed. Without Gollum Frodo would have tried to claim the One and either he would have succeded and become himself the Dark Lord in Mordor or Sauron would have taken the One from him and there the war would have ended.

Greymantle

Reaction score
There are so many different ways to approach this question... seeing the ramifications of keeping Gollum alive, I don't think any of us think he should have been killed. But there are other ways of putting the question, such as: Would you have killed Gollum, put in Bilbo's place (Me, no); or, would you have blamed Bilbo if he'd killed Gollum? (Me, again, no)

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
I think that Smeagol was too innocent to have been murdered by Bilbo or Frodo. Gollum was a result of the terrifying power of the ring. Smeagol at times showed remorse for what he had become yet he didn't have the power to change it. If anyone feels that Gollum should have died, then they should also look at killing Frodo and Boromir as the ring too effected them, although not as severe.

R

ReadWryt

Yeah, I can see it now...Bilbo kills Gollum, Frodo dons the ring at Mount Doom and falls in...now where is the happy ending in THAT?

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
Originally posted by ReadWryt
Yeah, I can see it now...Bilbo kills Gollum, Frodo dons the ring at Mount Doom and falls in...now where is the happy ending in THAT?

Frodo stops acting like a tragic hero and the rest of the world moves on!! That would be a nice idea. :p

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
If Bilbo had killed Gollum he would have never been able to give up the Ring voluntarely. Either he would have been chased down by the Nazgul or Gandalf had to let him hand over the Ring by force, thereby creating a Bollum:p .

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
It's always been my interpretation that noone in possesion of the ring could have destroyed it. I see succumbing to the ring's evil resulting from two forces: time of possesion or proximity to it's source. If you're standing at the crack of doom, the ring owns you right there. If Sam had taken the ring from Frodo, he would have done the same thing that Frodo did. A group effort would only end in betrayal and murder.

An "accident" like Gollum's is the only way for the ring to be cast into the fire. In the end, it is common people's capacity for mercy that destroys evil. Without that, all greatness and valor are pointless.

That's what I take from the story (you may see it differently). So ... no, Bilbo should not have killed Gollum because he didn't need to. His mercy saved them all.

tookish-girl

Pippin's stranger sister
Reaction score
That's an excellent point, but surely that means that Gollum could have been killed by Bilbo and, as long as there was an accident, it didn't need to be Gollum who fell in with the ring.
I mean, a large stray Warg could have bitten off Frodo's finger and jumped into the crack, thus leaving the way open for anyone to kill Gollum, I would hve liked to see Sam do it with a frying pan.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
I wouldn't! Poor bugger.. I'd probably drug him and send him into the Far South, where he wouldn't do any more harm! :D But no, I suppose I would not be capable of killing anything that lives and breathes, no matter how much it looks like a frog. :p
This all blends nicely into the chaos theory.. If Gollum had been killed, would Frodo have destroyed the Ring? Perhaps, and here are some possible explanations: Sam (who was bleeding and hurt on the ground at the time when the Frodo claimed the Ring) might have succumbed to the evil will of the Ring, which was at its height as it was so close to doom. And he might have grabbed at the Ring, and the two might have struggled until they fell into the Cracks of Doom, w/ the Ring.
Or, a small rock may have fallen onto Frodo's nose, causing him to topple over the edge.
Or Sam might have snatched the Ring away from Frodo, fully aware of the danger of the situation, and thrown it in himself.
There is an endless list! But I think the first is unlikely, as Sam was too good-hearted and simple to bend under the will of such an evil artefact.
whew! That's enough, I think..

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Originally posted by tookish-girl
but surely that means that Gollum could have been killed by Bilbo and, as long as there was an accident, it didn't need to be Gollum who fell in with the ring.
I think you missed my point completely. It surely does not mean anything like that. What it means is that another substitute accident would not have taken place. It means that without the hobbits' acts of mercy, the ring would have been claimed, and then taken by Sauron.

But never mind.

Greymantle

Reaction score
I wouldn't have killed Gollum... it's against both my nature and my principles to attempt to kill any creature except in defence of myself or another.

Thread suggestions