🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Should there be a hobbit movie [Merged]

D

Dark Knight129

Should there be a hobbit movie

should they have done the hobbit first:confused:

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
You mean should PJ have done The Hobbit, and then done LOTR as a sequel? There's supposedly a little blurb at the begining of LOTR that explains Bilbo's encounter with Gollum (and the story of the last alliance), so I don't think he should have done it just for clarity's sake. But I would like to see a high quality movie version of The Hobbit. Maybe if LOTR makes all the money it's expected to make, PJ will consider doing The Hobbit as a prequal film.

Orin

Reaction score
Hobbit TV movie

They did do a Hobbit movie for TV. I remember enjoying it when it first came out in 77. Then i rented it Saturday and realised how dreadful it was. Cheesey production from Rankin Bass. Rank was more like it.

R

ReadWryt

Why should they have done the Hobbit first? Do you have any idea what a hard sell to a distributor a live action version of that movie would have been? Lets see ...it's the exciting story of a bunch of guys headed west on an adventure...Nah, at least they will be able to go back and have the financial backing due to the success of these films....ug, did I just use the words Success and These Films in the same breath? Anyways, New Line Cinema only owns the rights to produce The Hobbit and United Artists still owns the rights to distribute it, so it will have to be made at least in a fashion that pleases U.A., and they won't make nearly the profit margin on it that they will off the Lord of the Rings, which they own all aspects of in motion picture form...

R

ReadWryt

I DID type West, didn't I? *ROFL* Doh! And I was just saying to the Webmaster yesterday, "Why WOULDN'T it snow in Hobbiton, it's in the North West of Middle-earth!?!". Bonehead Error #609684879685850965...

Eomer Dinmention

The Asian Lord
Reaction score
i have to agree with readwryt
if there ever will be a Hobbit Movie then they should have made it before the Lotr movie so alot of people understand

Walter

Flamekeeper
Reaction score
If the movie would be done well and stick to the book it sure would be fun anyway...

C

Charzi

I think Walter is right, but they have already told a lot of the content of "the hobbit" in the LOtr film :cool:

T

The Shad

I think people would still enjoy the hobbit even thought they know all about it from LOTR.

Istari

Reaction score
I would like to see a Hobbit live-action movie. I really would. It sounds like an interesting experiance, and I wonder if the man who played Bilbo in LotR would still be alive. But I think they probably wouldn't make it based on the fact that it's not as action packed as LotR. I mean, not many people except we "true Tolkien fanatics" are willing to go to theaters and watch thirteen dwarfs and a big-footed Hobbit fight off a horde of spiders. I mean, I know dwarfs rule but Thorin and party were OLD! Seriously.

Orin

Reaction score
Talk about a major change

If they were to do a live action Hobbit, I think they would have to change the whol;e tone and character of the book, or else be saddled with a G rating. The Hobbit is a read aloud children's book. how many times are we reminded that Bilbo wished he was back in his safe comfortable hobbit hole, or "yes, I'm afraid trolls really do behave that way".

To do a live action movie, the director would have to make it a serious story, with lot's of spider butt kicking and serious battle scenes. I can live with that, but the tone of the book would have to go.

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Uh oh...

Oh dear....I hope this won't go the way of Star Wars and have the first installment after the last 3 movies.....argh :eek: As much as I love the Hobbit and would like to see it on screen, I don't think it would do well in theaters and I don't think it would be as good after the last three movies.

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
After the heart pounding action and suspense of LotR, I think that many viewers, at least those who haven't read the book would be bored by the movie. Not that The Hobbit is without it's exciting moments but the whole book plays out like a children's book with a lack of the intimacy with the characters. For example, you never get inside the dwarves' heads and have a good idea of what they are thinking. In LotR you get a much clearer view of what going through the various characters minds. This aspect, I believe, would need to be changed or else the film will simply not draw the viewers into the film the way that LotR does.

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I think you would have an interesting dilemma regarding the tone of the film. You could make the Hobbit dark scary and brooding if you wanted to, although the Troll scene would be a challenge. This would not be true to the book, but personally I wouldn't mind that greatly if the story was kept to broadly. If you kept to the child-like tone of the book, I think it would be strange for your average cinema-going punter. (As if we care about that!)

Actually I think the lack of portrayal of characters motivation in the Hobbit would give the film-maker scope to interpret in a way that could be very interesting.

I wonder how many of the dwarves would miraculously become female in a film version?? Lets slay some dragon...

A

aemmett

Both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings have been attempted in animated form, but that was over twenty years ago. Special effects have improved to such a level that LOTR has has now amazed even the most critical of the cinema going public (my step-son for one) and has prompted quite a number of them to actually read Tolkien's works. I believe that an up-to-date film version of The Hobbit would be widely accepted by the majority of people, simply based on the success of LOTR. Admittedly, a story about dwarves and an unwilling hobbit setting out on an adventure is not as compelling as the fight of good against evil, but hey, was The Hobbit ever meant to be anything other than a childrens fairytale?

C

Curufinwe

Hobbit Movie

I rekon they should make a Hobbit movie after Lord of the ring's. It would be a sweet movie.

Thread suggestions