🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Should they have given Arwen the extra scene?

Should they have given Arwen the extra scene?

• Yes. They should have.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • No. They shouldn't have.

Votes: 36 72.0%

• Total voters
T

Theodopolis

Do you believe that PJ should have given Arwen the scene of crossing the ford and the flood smothering the RingWraiths?
Yes or No?

C

Curufinwe

I find that I would of preferred to of seen another cool elf instead of her. But the reaso they gave her a larger part was because
1. less cast members had to be chosen or mioney given out
2. because she has a larger part in the later ones that people would say that she like came out of nowhere and novbody would remember her.

Rian

Reaction score
PJ missed out on one of Frodo's most heroic moments. I would've prefered Frodo facing the Ringwraiths alone and saying, "You shall have neither the Ring nor Me!"

O

Oridin

Frodo's scene, as it should have been.

I agree that in the scene of bravery at the river, the name which is lost in beers(lol), should have belonged to Frodo. Arwen is hardly mentioned in the Fellowship. Maybe greed to have another big name star in the movie was the motivation to install her in the scene, maybe not. Still, the heroic cry of Frodo at the river was great and a turning point of emotion, on my part. I do see a comical reason why it wouldn't have worked(thnx to my friends who went w/me to see the movie). A little person atop a large elven horse, saying you won't get me or the ring, Frodo being half dead at this point, it does seem to rouse some humor. You never know and maybe someone should ask PJ about that. I would if given the chance. I don't think he was an avid reader since an avid reader wouldn't do such a ridiculous thing as put Arwen on the saddle. Anyway, I've talked much and there's more to read at this site. Thnx n bye to all.

Legolam

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I thought I was a purist ...

I've thought about this long and hard and, even though I was horrified when I saw it the first time, I can understand why PJ did it.

The scene works much better in the book, but Arwen had to be introduced somehow, and Glorfindel never really features again. Hollywood needed a female character, and I think Liv Tyler did well in the role, and it worked for a modern audience. If you didn't know the books it's probably a better scene to watch, although her line at the Ford is TERRIBLE!!! I cringed.

So yes, I admit it, I voted YES. Sorry :D

bunnywhippit

Reaction score
I voted yes, much of my reasoning is the same as Legolams. It did seem to tidy things up a bit, from the films point of view, but LORD! "If you want him, come a claim him!" - eek! Sorry, that was just a little too Hollywood for me as well. You cringed Legolam? I tried my best not to cover my ears and scream. :D Did they really have to put it in all the trailers? It seemed done to death. I thought Liv did very well though, beautifully done... and all that Elvish. :D

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
For Arwen's sake (I mean Tolkiens Arwen) I voted yes. She deserved at least some attention, being the love of Aragorn. But the way it was done in this movie, that just ticks me off. It hung in the balance, tough question.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Curufinwe
I find that I would of preferred to of seen another cool elf instead of her. But the reaso they gave her a larger part was because
1. less cast members had to be chosen or mioney given out
2. because she has a larger part in the later ones that people would say that she like came out of nowhere and novbody would remember her.
Cur... have you read the book? No Elf, neither Arwen nor anyone else takes Frodo to the Ford. It was Frodo's scene not Glorfindel's, not Legolas' and certainly not Arwen's. But I do agree with your logic. It was done to introduce Arwen earlier to audiences and to build her characters presence and courage (blah!) for the movies to come. I don't agree with it but do understand it.

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Grond is very ancient, but not a dinosaur. He's the Hammer of the Underworld.:D
Besides from that, he's one tough customer in a debate, wich a lot of people do not seem to like very much. But he's a honest fellow, able to admit mistakes. He doesn't change his opinion overnight, but he sure does appreciate a good argument.
And he doesn't think in black and white about the movie and the book.

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
DGoeij

I concur in your opinion of Grond. Grond and I agree on various points and disagree on others, but I have always found him open to discussion, unlike a few others who claim the title of purist. [LATER EDIT: A few of the film's defenders have been just as difficult as some of the self-proclaimed purists.]

Last edited:

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Originally posted by Grond
...It was done to introduce Arwen earlier to audiences and to build her characters presence and courage (blah!) for the movies to come. I don't agree with it but do understand it.
I think my own quote shows that I both accept and understand the change. A dinosaur I may be, but at the least I am a humble dinosaur who knows right from wrong and when to speak and when to shut up, unlike a few others on this forum.

By the way Cur, I did not mean to jump on your statement. If I sounded sarcastic or ill mannered, I apologize. It seems that so many people think that Arwen is actually taking a scene from Glorfindel when, in fact, it is Frodo's own scene she is stealing.

R

ReadWryt

Its too bad people like Harad can not discuss the thread without making personal attacks.

Minas

Reaction score
I understand why Arwen got the job. Hey they had to use her somewhere in the movie so she didn't have to make PJ's coffee all the time.
I vote No nonetheless as Frodo's Fighting spirit in his Character got decimated throughout the movie as I've pointed out earlier.

O

Oridin

Arwen

I just noticed Arwen is hardly mentioned in the Second book. Will the Second movie do as the first and stretch her role? Though in the Third book Arwen is more than a whisper from afar, nonetheless her part is minimal save for the end. Will the Third movie do as such the First and maybe the Second. It's my guess that PJ will or have done so already. Money talks, I guess.

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
My understanding is that Arwen will bring Anduril and the standard she made for Aragorn to him at Helm's Deep. This may not all be correct but she will surely make an appearance of this kind in The Two Towers. :)

Snaga

The Usual Suspect
Reaction score
I am probably going to be very unpopular for saying this but that chase scene is one of the best in the films - you can tell PJ is doing a great job at that point because you really care whether or not they make it.

I agree that the 'If you want him...' line was incongruous. I think it is a shame that Frodo doesn't get to show much bravery in the film - he's always getting beaten up or stabbed or whatever, and never seems to fight back, and this is not how I see him at all.

But judged as a piece of cinema, this is absolutely fantastic.

Sorry:)

DGoeij

Pan Narran
Reaction score
Well, if you only look at it from a movie perspective, I'd say you're right. It is a very goodlooking exciting scene. Actually only Arwen's line at the end makes it less good, IMHO.
But I'm a fan of the original story, so the fact that it looked good in some ways didn't help much in me having a positive opinion about it.
Thinking movie.... it was a pretty good scene, I'll give you that.

Thread suggestions