🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Silmarillion as a television series?

Glaurung

Reaction score
I personally believe that it would be great to have the Silmarillion portrayed on television. If it was advertised as being from the creative pen of Tolkien and took advantage of the popularity of the LOTR movies it just might gain an audience. A series of movies would be even better, but I just don't think that would happen. I admit that a lot of creative liberty would have to be taken with the material in order to fill in the dialogue (which much of the Silmarillion lacks), however if good enough writers were brought in, it might work. The special effects would have to be fantastic however because it would be too easy to make them look cheesy. What do you think?

Beleg Strongbow

Superior Elf
Reaction score
Doriath AND Sydney Australia and where ever "SHE"
It would be great!!! Especially movies? But people that haven't read Sil would have no idea whats going on. The probably find it a bit boring too especially Ainulindale and Akallabeth. It would be hard to shoot 2. Let alone or the money it would cost. But otherwise it would be cool.

Gary Gamgee

Mr Muckle
Reaction score
I think there is merit to this idea and I wouldn't be surprised if there talks going on at the moment. There are a lot of workable storylines in Sil and UT. The British would be better at making it though, like ch4 or the BBC.

R

ReadWryt

As I've stated elsewhere, I would be loathe to have someone thinking that they are as fine an author as Tolkien and writing all the dialog that would have to be created wholecloth because of the gross lack of it in the Narative style the Silmarillion was written in. Otherwise you have people walking around doing things while the narator does a voice over of the text in the long portions that have no speech, and that would cause a good many people to simply sleep through it, and more importantly the Comercials that would be expected to pay for it.

Bear in mind, a "bunch of good writers" presumed they could write The Lord of the Rings and we got "Lets go hunt orcs" and other invented dialog.

Lord Aragorn

King of Gondor
Reaction score
I agree with ReadWryt on this one. I don't think anyone should attempt to more or less re-write The Sil. I think that anyone attempting that would simply make a hack out of it, no matter how well they tried to do it. The Silmarillion is meant to be a narrative with little dialogue, if someone were to make it into a LoTR story it would be destroying Tolkien's vision of the book.

H

Harad

Its just like the criticism of the movie, only worse since this project hasnt even been conceived. Any number of artists can do justice to another work of art. Not reproduce it, but do it justice. When switching to a different medium, film or tv from a book, changes are inevitable. One can be flexible with the changes or so iconoclastic that one despises something before it evn twinkles in someone's eye. How sad is that?

Eonwe

Upper Class Twit
Reaction score
would you like it if it was done in semaphore?

R

ReadWryt

Well then, I suppose that you could even sell it as a Rock Opera...that would go over really well, especially if you get big name artists to sing and dance in it. Britney Spears as Lorien...Sting as Melkor. I can see it now...

Or how about bringing it into the modern age and setting it in the Industrial Revolution...overtly change out Magic for Machines

Woo

3rd lieutenant of Melkor
Reaction score
NO! NO! NO! NO!
This should never be done!
just look at what they did to tlotr?!
Great film but terrible adaptation!!!!!!!!
they took it and totally rapped it
Lets hunt some orc!
Would they then have melkor saying:
"Lets corrupt some Maiar spirits!"(Whist rubing his hands with an evil grin on his face).
The Sill. and other works is all that we who appreciate Tolkiens works have left which is not manupulated by the media.
It is still virgin and untampered with, it would be best for all for it to stay this way!!
For if it is tampered with, I WOO will leave the sea and make war on the usurper FOR I HAVE SPOKEN!!
BEHOLD!! THE WOO :mad:

R

ReadWryt

The way I see it, if it can't be done as a decent radio drama without inventing 3/4s of the dialog then it has no reason to be made into Film or Television fodder...

starlight

Reaction score
No!

The silmarillion is just too dam hard to be turned into a tv series. It's deep, complicated, and slow moving. Its just too hard for anyone but the die hard to get, much less demand and appreciate. There are a few stories that I would like to see done, but that's what an imagination is for. right?

Mayberry

Reaction score
NO WAY!!!

There's a good chance that it would resemble one of those tacky TV fantasy series where all of the actors are dressed up in Renaissance Faire costume cast-offs. (OK, OK, please all of you Xena, Hercules, Robin Hood, Whatever-lovers out there don't get mad at me. Those shows can be very entertaining, but it's pretty obvious that they are done on a tight budget and the script writers are into some serious anachronistic dialog!)

The "Silmirillion" is just too grand an undertaking. And I don't know if I could take all of the groaning and gnashing of teeth that would come from the Tolkien purists even if it had a big budget and Christopher Tolkien wrote the teleplay!!! Just look how the purists hate and put down the FOTR movie.

Last edited:

7doubles

Silver Star Tobaco Co.
Reaction score
i used to think that until i started watching Buffy The Vanpire Slayer. i suport it!

Gnashar_the_orc

Reaction score
NO WAY!

If some greedy TV channel or production studio decides to do something like that I will personally storm in their office with a M-16 automatic and take care of business!
Look at Xena, Hercules and all that rubbish!
It is a discrace to the real mythology and culture of my country. By the way, as a side-note, PLEASE do not assume that the Disney version is even close to accurate either! That could be described as a joke to say the least.
I remember a really memorable episode of Xena were they put together the Nordic god Thor with the Greek gods! It was an instant vomit for me.
'Silmarillion: The series'? NO! Let's not destroy the real beauty of Tolkien's world. The film I would say was a pretty decent approach. I am particularly happy that they didn't have the heroes making stupid jokes just for Hollywood purposes. The fact that they used british actors is also a HUGE plus. Imagine Gandalf speaking in a New York accent! Pretty scary stuff...

dgoof911

Reaction score
My thoughts are:
First of all, it would probably not get a big audience. Second, to try to put a book, such as the Sil (which is more like a lecture, not saying it is bad, than a real time story) would be very hard indeed. Thrid, there are so many characters of importance, TV editors would most likly change or cut off most of the characters leaving anyone who watched it, starteing to read the book, confused. Personally, I don't think anyone is thinking of making the Silmarillion a movie or a series.

Hama

Scholar and Adventurer
Reaction score
I came to this site to begin a new thread on almost the exact same lines, and to my surprise found there already was one. I agree with those of you who are worried that such an endeavor would produce less than appropriate results. The Lord of the Rings showed that. The adaptation was terrible. And as someone said, the Sil has no dialogue, so it may be even worse. A small budget would make it result in something terribly cheesy. I say that to get something like this to work one needs the cooperation of the following individuals or organizations: Christopher Tolkien (if anyone has the right or skill to put a dialogue to the Sil, it is him. After all he did compile it from assorted scattered and randomly ordered notes by his father), John Howe (who's illustrations of events from the Sil are far superior to those of other artists in my opinion) and a big production company. I am sure that everyone who went to see LoTR would be interested in the Sil, and so there would be an audience. If the special effects were great and there was plenty of action and romance (and the Sil has no shortage of either) I am sure millions will tune in. But my primary worry is that it would end up like some second rate fantasy series like Hercules, Xena or Sinbad (all of which absolutely stink).

imladris

Reaction score
It would be great, but people who didn't read the silmarillion would probably think it's boring.
I think it would be to hard to shoot and to expencive.
:(

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
Perhaps, they can make a telefilm of one of the tales of Silmarillion, perhaps of the Narn?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
That would be more managable, but still extremely ambitious.
I think it would be impossible to properly portray, for example, the Narn i Hîn Húrin without combining every single great narrative mind, great Tolkien-scholar and fabulous director with millions upon millions of dollars. And even then it might not come out properly, because so much dialogue would have to be 'invented', and would very possibly stray from Tolkien's own notions.

I would discourage the idea; but as far as we're talking hypothetically, I think it would be easier as a television series than a single movie.

Thread suggestions