🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Silmarillion Movie

elladan

Reaction score
I understand that the Silmarillion as a whole occurs over too long of a time period and has too many main characters for it ever to be a movie. But there is one part of it that I believe could be a adapted into a very good movie. That is the story of Beren and Luthien. Of all the stories in the Silmarillion, this would require the least back story and it follows just two characters over a relatively short period of time. And the story itself is amazing, probably my favorite in the book. Plus, it has some semblance of a happy ending, unlike just about all the other tales in the Sil. The story of Turin would make a good movie too, but it would be far too depressing! I think a Beren and Luthien movie could work, and I know I would love to see it on screen.

Any thoughts?

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
Agreed. Either Turin or Beren / Luthien, and Turin is just too depressing for anyone to want to make a movie out of his tragic life.

Bard the Bowman

Archer of Dale
Reaction score
What I would love to see is a Silmarillion show. They could make an episode based on each event. There is easily enough events. If you know of any producer that wants a good writer for the Silmarillion show, I will gladly lend my services.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of the way that they're doing A Game of Thrones? George R. R. Martin's books are so detailed, I didn't think they'd be able to pull it off but season 1 rocked.

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
I think it would be great to see the tale of Beren and Luthien be made into a movie. You could do some awesome special effects with Saruman's battles. I don't know about the rest of the Silmarillion, though. Maybe some chapters like Turin and the Fall of Gondolin, but it would be hard to link them together with so many different characters.

Thorin

LOTR Purist to the end
Reaction score
I would love to see a movie called 'Gondolin'. The fall of Gondolin as embellished in Book of Lost Tales II would be so epic on screen it would give you a heart attack! The version in Sil is completely toned down from Tolkien's earlier version in BoLT II. Read it sometime if you get the chance. It is a white knuckle page turner of dragons and hundreds of balrogs clashing with Elves! Awesome!

elladan

Reaction score
I agree that a movie about the fall of Gondolin would be very interesting.

But the big question. Would the rights ever be given to any film maker to adapt anything in the Silmarillion? I know that Christopher Tolkien is pretty much against the idea of allowing films to be made of any of the works posthumously published works. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but likely enough it will preclude anyone from making any such movies, at least for quite a long time.

Which is quite the bummer if you ask me. Who knows though, something could be made anyway, maybe by the same guys who made the 35 minute youtube movie, "The Hunt for Gollum", which I watched awhile back. I thought it was rather well done, especially considering the low budget. Obviously the special effects were not on the same level, but as far as the acting went, I think it rivaled Peter Jacksons movies. And actually the lack of special effects may have helped it along somewhat. If you can't make a film super visually appealing, then you actually need to focus on the characters, themes, etc, which can be a good thing. I did enjoy Peter Jackson's movies, but I think far too much of the focus was on the action and the special effects (which were very good), and not enough on portraying the themes, Tolkien's subtle humor, and the very unique feel feel of Middle Earth. Jackson did an excellent job creating a very exciting movie, but most of magic that Tolkien so masterfully wove into the story was lost, and that was upsetting.

I got a little off topic there, and I do apologize for that. But I guess my point is, I hope that if a movie based on the Silmarillion is made, more of the beauty and poetry of Tolkien's writing is left intact than in Jacksons Lord of the Rings.

Last edited:

Black Captain

My breath brings death
Reaction score
Personally, I think they should make two movies: The first be titled Akallabêth,from the Silmarilion, and then I think they should make a movie titled Narn I Hin Hurin, from the book of lost tales. I know Turin's story is pretty depressing, but it would be so freaking epic. If they did make a NIHH, I think it should be rated "R," so as to be able to include all the blood and gore, as well as the finding of the mind-erased Nienor.

Bard the Bowman

Archer of Dale
Reaction score
I agree with you Black Captain. Turin's story I think would be better, because I think the main villain is better. Glaurung would be a better villain the the insane Carcharoth. R rated for sure. One thing I will disagree with you is on the name. Definitely Children of Hurin.

Black Captain

My breath brings death
Reaction score
The Children of Hurin is fine an' all, but I think that the elvish rendering puts more meaning into it. If you've ever said aloud, NARN I HIN HURIN! You'll know how awsome it is. However, if you yell, "the children of Hurin!, that just doesn't get it for me. But anyway, my favorite part would actually be when he chases that punk elf off some cliff after beatin' the s**t out of him. That was so cool.

Bard the Bowman

Archer of Dale
Reaction score
I think it would be more intriguing to non-Tolkien audiences as "The Children of Hurin". But my favorite part to see would be when he kills Glaurung and mocks him.

Galin

Reaction score
To raise a now somewhat old and certainly pedantic note (but since pronunciation has been raised): the actual spelling should be Narn i·Chîn Húrin, with ch pronounced with the sound as in German ach. Christopher Tolkien himself changed this, because he wanted to avoid English 'chin', but he notes the proper mutation and sound in any case.

As for a possible film, from the Tolkien Estate website (upon the publication of the book):

Are there any plans to produce a feature film from The Children of Húrin?

There are no plans of this nature in the foreseeable future.

Of course there's nothing wrong with chatting about the possibility in any case :)

baragund

Brother in Arms
Reaction score
The Akallabeth could make a pretty interesting movie. A lot of crazy stuff going on once Sauron got his hooks into the government. And the sailing of Ar-Pharazon's fleet to invade the Undying Lands would be spectacular!

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
Peter Jackson could have a field day with all the epic battles in the Akallabeth - the defeat of Sauron and then the invasion of the Undying Lands. There's even some female characters in the story, so maybe he wouldn't have to invent them.

Bard the Bowman

Archer of Dale
Reaction score
Yeah, but Jackson would still find some way to bungle it all up. Maybe the elves of Lothlorien would show up there too.

Black Captain

My breath brings death
Reaction score
I think Bard has a point. Jackson would no doubt create a giant kraken attacking Numenor or summat. They should hire us to direct and write it! Then it would be a lot better, and a lot more faithful to the story.

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ok lol sorry I understand. He may add his own scene specifically showing the Hobbits from their origins somewhere in there if he does it though, you never know...

Thread suggestions