🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Silmarillion Trivia Game

Olorgando

Reaction score
Errr - close, but no, Grond. 😕

EDIT! OK, I've still got to get used to what "go to person's quote" means - like here, it was not the last post on the thread! *facepalm*
But I can let the answer to Grond stand.

You are right, Starbrow.

Olorgando

Reaction score
1. After having collected my jaw from the vague vicinity of my ankles upon realizing the trivia enormity of your question, my brain started functioning again, so that I can now haughtily point out to you that

2. This is a Silmarillion trivia thread (gasp, wheeze, hyperventilate, …) o_O

Squint-eyed Southerner

Skulking near Archet
Reaction score
Errr - close, but no, Grond. 😕

EDIT! OK, I've still got to get used to what "go to person's quote" means - like here, it was not the last post on the thread! *facepalm*
But I can let the answer to Grond stand.

You are right, Starbrow.
You can just hit "Reply" on the post you want to reply to -- as I just did. Some here do that whenever they respond to a post, even if no one else is on.

Or you can select a line, or just a word, to reply to. I'm not sure how that works on a pc, as I'm limited to my phone, but I tap and hold, and draw my finger through the line I want to qoute. It turns blue (line, not finger) and "reply" appears. Tap that, and Bilbo's yer uncle.

May be easier ways, but it works for me.

Olorgando

Reaction score
Phew! That must belong to the ancient "Book of Lost Tales" phase of HoMe.
Checking my three encyclopedias confirmed my hunch:
In very early legend Gothmog was said to be Melko's (then not yet Melkor) son (and his mommy an ogress).

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
Phew! That must belong to the ancient "Book of Lost Tales" phase of HoMe.
Checking my three encyclopedias confirmed my hunch:
In very early legend Gothmog was said to be Melko's (then not yet Melkor) son (and his mommy an ogress).
The answer I'm looking for, is in the Valaquenta and it's tricksy. Using the encyclopedia is cheating. Use your books. Early Son of Melko is also found in HoME 10 Morgoth's Ring.

Olorgando

Reaction score
With encyclopedia I did not mean Britannica & Co. (in Germany it would be the "Brockhaus"). I'm talking about J.E.A Tyler "Companion", Robert Foster "Guide" (two editions), and the German-language "Lexikon" by Friedhelm Schneidewind (also two editions). I just no longer have the nervous energy to burrow my way through the around 5000 pages of HoMe to search for such arcana. (I know I'm exaggerating - slightly. There is the split between Sil and Lord, and other books are unlikely sources for other reasons.)
And as for that, Tyler and Foster aren't that extreme as trivia freaks. Schneidewind is more so, I've found stuff there that the two "anglo-Saxons" were silent on.

Err - is there a different "myth" about Gothmog's ancestry, and that's the one you're asking for? o_O

Olorgando

Reaction score
Argh!!! OK, I hereby declare openly that I am wont to be a serious nitpicker! 😜 A sire implies a dam! Your question was imprecise! Harrumph!

Same "guy" who created all of the Valar and Maiar (of whom Gothmog was one), or all of the Ainur, including the stay-at-homes:
Eru.

(PS on a more serious note, that bit about imprecise questions etc. has seriously raised my hackles in real life, not the least so during my almost 40 years with the company.)

Olorgando

Reaction score
Meh! Yes, and dam = mama, and a sire by definition needs a dam (and she him) to procreate. In that definition, Eru didn't "sire" anything or anybody.

What was the Sindarin name of the Elf that led Tuor to Gondolin?

Olorgando

Reaction score
This is getting complicated - and neither Tyler nor Foster have anything to say about your suggestion or my intended answer.
But my German "trivia freak" Schneidewind comes to our rescue.
"Aranwion" is the father-given name of the Elf named (in Quenya) Voronwë, by his father Aranwë. But this father-given name is also in Quenya!
The name I intended as an answer, "Bronweg", is also listed in Schneidewind - but as a "Gnomish" name!
Now unless my memory has totally gone to the pits, the "Gnomes" were the predecessors of the Noldor in the Book of Lost Tales phase.
So I'll give you credit at finding another name for Voronwë (which I had not known until today), and for the real answer to my question being "ain't no such name recorded, dude!"

Grond

Morgoth's Mace
Reaction score
This is getting complicated - and neither Tyler nor Foster have anything to say about your suggestion or my intended answer.
But my German "trivia freak" Schneidewind comes to our rescue.
"Aranwion" is the father-given name of the Elf named (in Quenya) Voronwë, by his father Aranwë. But this father-given name is also in Quenya!
The name I intended as an answer, "Bronweg", is also listed in Schneidewind - but as a "Gnomish" name!
Now unless my memory has totally gone to the pits, the "Gnomes" were the predecessors of the Noldor in the Book of Lost Tales phase.
So I'll give you credit at finding another name for Voronwë (which I had not known until today), and for the real answer to my question being "ain't no such name recorded, dude!"
I found that his mother was indeed of the Sindarin race but couldn't find his Sindar name anywhere. I was able to find his father name in Unfinished Tales so I guessed.

Thread suggestions