What's new
The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Some of my Tolkien illustrations

WonderBroad

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm going to attempt to post a few of my Tolkien illustrations here. Bear with me if it doesn't work!

-----------

The Red Arrow

"He sank on one knee and presented the arrow to Theoden. 'Hail, Lord of the Rohirrim, friend of Gondor!' he said. 'Hirgon I am, errand-rider of Denethor, who bring you this token of war. Gondor is in great need.' ... 'The Red Arrow!' said Theoden, holding it, as one who receives a summons long expected and yet dreadful when it comes. His hand trembled. 'The Red Arrow has not been seen in the Mark in all my years! Has it indeed come to that?"

Last edited:

WonderBroad

Reaction score

I Am Called Strider

"As Frodo drew near he threw back his hood, showing a shaggy head of dark hair flecked with grey, and in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Tell Them Up There that I Have a Sick Hobbit

"'I'll never get him there,' thought Pippin. 'Is there no one to help me? I can't leave him here.' Just then to his surprise a boy came running up behind, and as he passed he recognized Bergil Beregond's son."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Ar-Pharazon Defies the Ban of the Valar

"They broke the Ban of the Valar, and sailed into forbidden seas, going up with war against the Deathless, to wrest from them everlasting life within the Circles of the World."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Luthien and the Cloak of Shadows

"She escaped from the house in Hirilorn; for she put forth her arts of enchantment, and caused her hair to grow to great length, and of it she wove a dark robe that wrapped her beauty like a shadow, and it was laden with a spell of sleep. Of the strands that remained she twined a rope, and she let it down from her window; and as the ended swayed above the guards that sat beneath the tree they fell into a deep slumber. Then Luthien climbed from her prison, and shrouded in her shadowy cloak she escaped from all eyes, and vanished out of Doriath."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Frodo Encounters the Shirriffs at Frogmorton

"But as they came to the east of the village they met a barrier with a large board saying NO ROAD; and behind it stood a large band of Shirriffs with staves in their hands and feathers in their caps, looking both important and rather scared. 'What's all this?' said Frodo, feeling inclined to laugh. 'This is what it is, Mr. Baggins,' said the leader of the Shirriffs, a two-feathered hobbit: 'You're arrested for Gate-breaking, and Tearing up the Rules, and Assaulting Gate-keepers, and Trespassing, and Sleeping in Shire-buildings without Leave, and Bribing Guards with Food.' 'And what else?' said Frodo. 'That'll do to go on with,' said the Shirriff-leader."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Namarie

"The sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Thingol and Melian Mourn the Loss of Luthien

"But the spirit of Luthien fell down into darkness, and at the last it fled, and her body lay like a flower that is suddenly cut off and lies for a while unwithered in the grass."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

Reporting to Beruthiel

"She had nine black cats and one white, her slaves, with whom she conversed, or read their memories."

WonderBroad

Reaction score

See, Half-Brother! This Is Sharper than Thy Tongue

"Fingolfin bowed before Finwe, and without word or glance to Feanor he went from the chamber. But Feanor followed him, and at the door of the king's house he stayed him; and the point of his bright sword he set against Fingolfin's breast. 'See, half-brother!' he said. 'This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls'."

childoferu

Reaction score
OMG! WonderBroad, thats YOU who drew this most beautiful illustrations, I've seen both the Ar-Pharazon one and and Beruthiel one on Tolkien Gateway, wow, seems there's more to this new member than meets the eye :D

Prince of Cats

Among the Trees
Reaction score
WonderBroad ...

Wow! Beautiful drawings. Not only are your characters so fair to look upon but the way you draw them too. Your hair, the clothing, the sky in Namarie :)

Do share more if you'd like(!), either any other illustrations or some insight into your methods or inspiration

WonderBroad

Reaction score
WonderBroad ...

Wow! Beautiful drawings. Not only are your characters so fair to look upon but the way you draw them too. Your hair, the clothing, the sky in Namarie :)

Do share more if you'd like(!), either any other illustrations or some insight into your methods or inspiration
Thank you!

I have been illustrating Tolkien since the first year I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (1975). Sadly, I no longer have my very first illustrations, but I still have most of them!

The media I used in these particular illustrations are pencil, pen & ink, monochromatic watercolor, and acrylic paint.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
WOW! Now THATS what I'm talking about when I say the Mind's Eye!
Your drawing of Strider is it! Most renditions I've seen of Strider since the movies came out are really no more than Viggo portraits. Here we have a drawing of your own vision!

Your drawing of the Sons of Finwe and the Red Arrow are great too.
I like the fact you quote the book passages! Thanks for sharing!

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
This is great work! Especially the portrait of Strider. I also like the one of Luthien, who looks more beautiful in your picture than in other artwork I've seen. Have you ever thought of putting together a calendar with your artwork? I would be one happy to buy it.

WonderBroad

Reaction score
This is great work! Especially the portrait of Strider. I also like the one of Luthien, who looks more beautiful in your picture than in other artwork I've seen. Have you ever thought of putting together a calendar with your artwork? I would be one happy to buy it.
Thank you very much.

I don't think I could get away with publishing a calendar. But thank you for the compliment!

Prince of Cats

Among the Trees
Reaction score
I hope these topics are bumped every day so when I click "New Posts" I'm given an excuse to look upon these drawings again and again :) Beautiful artwork from a beautiful mind inspired by my favorite taels!

Illuin

Fire On The Mountain
Reaction score
Jeez, I can't believe I didn't see this. That is some sick work! This would have been great in the published Silmarillion. Right up there with Nasmith and Lee (even better as far as Elves, Men, and Hobbits). Lúthien and the "big goodbye" at the Havens are my favorites. :)

EdBurke

Reaction score
This is truly excellent. In particular the very first drawing, it caught the sense of despair very well indeed. Well done!