🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Some questions...

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Question #1: When Gandalf meets up with Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli, he says he was stranded at the tower after fighting the Balrog, Gwaihir comes and rescues him, being sent by Galadriel. How does she know to send Gwaihir to look for him, if she has heard he is dead?

Question #2: What the heck is Saurman doing wandering the woods of Fangorn at night? Wouldn't he be in his safe tower? I would have thought it was Gandalf they had seen. How does Gandalf know where to find the group, and what is Shadowfax doing there when the other horses find him?

Question #3: So Shadowfax was hanging in Rivendell, then came riding all that way at Gandalf's whistle? That sure is fast!

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
Wood Elf,

1) Galadriel is wise. She he is told by the company that Gandalf has fallen in Moria, but realises that Gandalf (a Maiar), though he had fallen into darkness, may well have survived his ordeal with the Balrog. Therefore, she sends Gwahir to search for him. How she calls Gwahir to her I do not know.

2) Is it Saruman or Gandalf in the forest? This is discussed on another thread.

3) When Gandalf got to Rivendell he sent Shadowfax back to Theoden at Rohan. So when Gandalf "called him" from the forest of Fangorn he had a shorter distance to travel.

Greenwood

The Guild of Ost-in-Edhil
Reaction score
1. Galadriel and Gandalf each possess one of the three elven rings. I have always assumed that she knew or sensed that he was not dead and thus sent the eagle to search for him.

2. I agree that it seems strange that Saruman is wandering around far from Orthanc, but Gandalf says that Aragorn did not see him (Gandalf) so it must have been Saruman. As for Shadowfax, Gandalf says he summoned him (by thought).

3. Shadowfax was not hanging around in Rivendell. When Aragorn and company meet Eomer and the Riders, Eomer reports that Shadowfax had returned to Rohan seven days earlier and Aragorn tells him it means that Shadowfax had returned alone from the north.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
Thanks guys. That does seem odd about Saurman, and yes it is him. I suppose he just wants to go out for a little nightly stroll, check out the scene, see whaz up. :)

Ged

Retired
Reaction score
Is it Saruman though? He is a long way from Orthanc, and if he is the figure the Ents see slipping back into Isengard then he must have been away during the whole battle ofr Helm's Deep. Sorry, wrong thread!

Greenwood

Reaction score
Is it Saruman though? He is a long way from Orthanc, and if he is the figure the Ents see slipping back into Isengard then he must have been away during the whole battle ofr Helm's Deep. Sorry, wrong thread!
Ged

See my post on the other thread, but Saruman was not seen slipping back into Isengard. He was inside Isengard, apparently he had come to the gate to see his army off. He was seen making a dash back to Orthanc after the Ents attacked Isengard.

H

Harad

1. Galadriel and Gandalf each possess one of the three elven rings. I have always assumed that she knew or sensed that he was not dead and thus sent the eagle to search for him.
They are wearing the Rings since it is safe as long as Sauron doesnt retrieve the OneRing? Is there anything written about the Three communicating or sensing each other?

Greenwood

Reaction score
They are wearing the Rings since it is safe as long as Sauron doesnt retrieve the OneRing? Is there anything written about the Three communicating or sensing each other?
I did not mean to imply any sort of telepathic communication. Just an awareness of whether Gandalf still lived. Certainly Galadriel says she is aware of Sauron, though he does not have possession of the Ring.

Wood Elf

Reaction score
<Saurman strolling along singing..> "I go out walkin' after midnight, out in the moonlight, searchin' fooor youuuu!" <walks down forest path whistling..> :)

T

Tony

Originally posted by Harad

"......But I cannot see him from afar, unless he comes within the fences of Lothlorien: a gray mist is about him, and the ways of his feet and of his mind are hidden from me"

Galadriel-The Mirror of Galadriel

".....For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and openly thier shing eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro"

Many Partings

It doesnt say they have to have the rings to do the telepathy thing.

I always assumed when Gandalf was sent back he contacted Galadriel, mind to mind, so to speak or she was "searching" for his presence, and since he was in need of aid, he did not shield his thoughts from her.

G

GondorsDaughter

Ok peeps I've estimated that Aragorn was 87 when he met Frodo he was crowned at the age of 88 and died on his 210 birthday

can anyone confirm or dissprove this

Thread suggestions