🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Sting, Glamdring, and the other.

JanitorofAngmar

Serving Evil since FA 1
Reaction score
Who forged Sting, Glamdring, and Orchrist (spelling?).

Does anyone know their history other than they were found in the Trollshaws (how did they get there?)? I think they were forged by elves? Anything else?

JoA

Proudfoots

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that they were forged in Gondolin during the elf and goblin wars. or at least that is what Tolkien wrote in the Hobbit. I don't know if their history changed in Lord of the Rings.
'foots

Telchar

Someone out there?
Reaction score
Sting; Was forged in Gondolin and was probably taken as spoil of war in the fall of Gondolin by the armies of Morgoth..

Glamdring; According to Eldron Glamdring was forged somewhere between the second and fifth centuries of the First Age and it belonged to Turin. Probably taken as spoil of war in the fall of Gondolin by the armies of Morgoth..

Orchrist; Forged in Gondolin and was probably taken as spoil of war in the fall of Gondolin by the armies of Morgoth..

Tar-Steve

Reaction score
Anyone more learned than me want to elaborate on Glamdring. Turin was never in Gondolin and carried Gurthang at the time of his death. I don't remember reading anything about the sword he carried before he took Gurthang upon Beleg's death.

Could it be a sword he received from Hurin (who was in Gondolin)?

Is this an unresolved Hobbit "fact" (aka, mistake)?

Is this important enough to keep talking about?

Gothmog

Lord of Balrogs
Staff member
Reaction score
Telchar, do you mean Turgon when you say Turin. In the Hobbit Elrond says that Glamdring belonged to the King of Gondolin.

Thread suggestions