The Tolkien Forum

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

"Talking Tolkien" game

drjekil_bg

STORY-TELLER
Reaction score
Hi,all volunteers to play this game.
The rules are silmple :

1. We provide a quote and say which is the word we would like to discuss.

2. Someone says which word he associates it to and posts a quote where we can see the relevance.

3. Others post thier suggestions too and we decide whether they are relevant too.

4. One word is discussed for let's say a couple of days...3-4? What do you say?

5. Additional task would be if one can provide the history of the word

(idea of Finduilas)

so here is the first quote

Goldberry spoke to them and recalled their eyes and thoughts. 'Speed now, fair guests!' she said. 'And hold to your purpose! North with the wind in the left eye and a blessing on your footsteps! Make haste while the Sun shines!' And to Frodo she said: 'Farewell, Elf-friend, it was a merry meeting!'
the word is "elf-friend"

And the game is on...

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Here's the quote drjekil_bg provided:

From the Lord of the Rings, Chapter 8 Fog on the Barrow-Downs:
Goldberry spoke to them and recalled their eyes and thoughts. 'Speed now, fair guests!' she said. 'And hold to your purpose! North with the wind in the left eye and a blessing on your footsteps! Make haste while the Sun shines!' And to Frodo she said: 'Farewell, Elf-friend, it was a merry meeting!'
Goldberry calls Frodo an Elf-friend but let's trace who actually gave him that name first:

From the Lord of the Rings, Chapter 3 Three is Company:
'Courage is found in unlikely places,' said Gildor. 'Be of good hope!
Sleep now! In the morning we shall have gone; but we will send our messages through the lands. The Wandering Companies shall know of your journey, and those that have power for good shall be on the watch. I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road! Seldom have we had such delight in strangers, and it is fair to hear words of the Ancient Speech from the lips of other wanderers in the world.'
Now when I hear "Elf-friend" I think about Elendil. Here are some quotes which present him as an Elf-friend:

From the Lord of the Rings, Chapter 11 A Knife in the Dark:
'I know only the little that Gandalf has told me,' said Frodo slowly.
'Gil-galad was the last of the great Elf-kings of Middle-earth. Gil-galad is Starlight in their tongue. With Elendil, the Elf-friend, he went to the land of------'
From the Published Silmarillion, Akallabeth, The Downfall of Numenor:
The chief among them, to whom they looked for leading and courage in evil days, was Amandil, councillor of the King, and his son Elendil, whose sons were Isildur and Anárion, then young men by the reckoning of Númenor. Amandil and Elendil were great ship-captains; and they were of the line of Elros Tar-Minyatur, thought not of the ruling house to whom belonged the crown and the throne in the city of Armenelos. In the days of their youth together Amandil had been dear to Pharazôn, and thought he was of the Elf-friends he remained in his council until the coming of Sauron.
And what was Elendil's part in the history of Middle Erath?
Well, he was the first supreme King of Arnor and Gondor! He founded them! That means power! To be both a friend of the Elves and to have already you own kingdom, that is power! That is security!
I associate power with the Powers of Middle Earth - the Valara.
Here's a quote:

From HOME, Volume VIII:
'...Indeed it is said by the loremasters among us that they are somewhat our kin in blood and in speech, being descended [from those of the Three Houses of Men who went not over sea into the West>]from those same Three Houses of Men as were the Numenoreans, from Beor and Hador and Haleth, but from such as went not over sea into the West at the calling of the Powers.
My word is (actually two...;) ) the Powers ...
Your turn.;)

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
Come on, guys! This Thread is too good to end up in the Library!

Turn it back to life!
I ask the new members, who are in a testing period to participate too!
...Draug...? ;)
...Guys...?
:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
This activity is really a good one ,especially for new and unexperienced members.
I hope to see you around here,not only in The Apply here and Happenings threads,chit-chatting and etc ;):p

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
I like this prophecy from HOME !V about the Powers:

Thus spake the prophecy of Mandos, which he declared in Valmar at the judgement of the Gods, and the rumour of it was whispered among all the Elves of the West: when the world is old and the Powers grow weary, then Morgoth shall come back through the Door out of the Timeless Night; and he shall destroy the Sun and the Moon, but Earendel shall come upon him as a white flame and drive him from the airs. Then shall the last battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkas shall strive with Melko, and on his right shall stand Fionwe and on his leftTurin Turambar,son of Hurin, Conqueror of Fate; and it shall be the black sword of Turin that deals unto Melko his death and final end; and so shall the children of Hurin and all Men be avenged.

Can you imagine the Valar being weary and having to rely on the heroes of ME to defear Morgoth. I'd probably add a few Third Age heroes for good measure, like Aragorn, Helm Hammerhand, Eowyn, etc.

Anyway, the word is "avenge."

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
I suppose the creator of this game would be the one to clarify the rules. Personally I don't have a problem with minor word changes, but it's not up to me.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
drjekil_bg said:
It's not a problem to change the word if the new word have the same stock
Good. This follows the betrayal of Bar-en-Danwedh by Mim the Dwarf:
And at length when all was silent again Mim crept out of the shadows of his house; and as the sun rose over the mists of Sirion he stood beside the dead men on the hill-top. But he perceived that not all those that lay there were dead; for by one his gaze was returned, and he looked in the eyes of Beleg the Elf. Then with hatred long-stored Mim stepped up to Beleg, and drew forth the sword Anglachel that lay beneath the body of one that had fallen beside him; but Beleg stumbling up seized back the sword and thrust it at the Dwarf, and Mim in terror fled wailing from the hill-top. And Beleg cried after him: 'The vengeance of the house of Hador will find you yet!
If we have exhausted 'avenge'/'vengeance' etc., I propose the word be changed to "Anglachel (or Gurthang)" which can be found more easily using indexes.

Eledhwen

Cumbrian
Reaction score
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire, England, UK
Gil-Galad said:
Gurthang?The greatest sword?I will take part in the game too if we start with Gurthang!!! ;) :) :p
Eledhwen sits back in a comfy chair nearest the fire and waits for Gil-Galad to overflow with such enthusiasm over Gurthang that we all rush out to our nearest sword dealer and order copies of the black sword to hang over our mantelpieces (until such times as we are called upon to take it down and embark on a quest to save the world as we know it).

BTW G-G; are you aware of this bunch?

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
BTW G-G; are you aware of this bunch?
Yes I know them.Well,I DO NOT think that such kind of music should pretend to be the music of Tolkien's world,as they usually pretend.
I believe that Tolkien's imagination for Middle-earth's music was much more different.
Anyway let's get back to business.

Starbrow

Tolkien Fan
Reaction score
You're close. Mormegil, the Black Sword, was actually a nickname for Turin, which he earned for his prowess with his sword Gurthang.

Here's a quote about it:

"...though ever black its edges shone with pale fire; and he named it Gurthang, Iron of Death. So great was his prowess and skill in warfare on the confines of the Guarded Plain that he himself became known as Mormegil, the Black Sword;"

BTW G-G I thought you promised some quotes.

Minuel Lasgalas

Lilies are blooming...
Reaction score
Starbrow said:
Anybody can respond to the word/phrase in question. I was just giving G-G a hard time. ;)
Right... Anglachel

The chosing of Anglachel by Beleg from Thingol:

"But as Thingol turned the hilt of Anglachel towards Beleg, Melian looked at the blade; and she said: "There is malice in this sword. The dark heart of the smith [Eol] still dwells in it, It will not love the hand it serves; neither will it abide with you long.' "Nonetheless I will wield it while I may," said Beleg.
Anglachel passed to Turin after the death of Beleg - from the hands of Gwindor...

"The sword Anglachel was forged anew for him [Turin] by the cunning smiths of Nargothrond, and though ever black its edge shown with pale fire and he named it Gurthang, Iron of Death. So great was his prowess and skill in warfare on the confines of the Guarded Plain that he himself became known as Mormegil, the Black Sword; and the Elves said: "The Mormegil cannot be slain, save by mischance, or an evil arrow from afar.'
For the next word [unless G-G wants to go further with Gurthang - I owe him that :) ] I propose the Guarded Plain [Talath Dirnen].

Last edited:

Thread suggestions