🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Ted or Alan?

The best painter?

• Ted Nasmith

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Alan Lee

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

Merry

Has chubby cheeks
Reaction score
Alan Lee has a better range but Ted has some of the better pictures.

Make sense? I hope so...:)

Rosie Cotton

Reaction score
Definately Ted Nasmith.... I've never really liked Alan Lee's artwork. He doesn't use the rich, vibrant colors that I've always pictured ME as having. Don't get me wrong, his art is amazing, I just don't like it very much. :rolleyes:

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
I expected that most of you would vote for Alan,simply because Ted's work sometimes does not correspond correctly to Tolkien's.I mean,his Dragons and Balrogs are not winged and small details like that...
I myself have a Tolkien calendar by Ted-it's really impressing,especially the picture of Valinor,or the wakening of the Elves at the Lake...
In short,I tend to like both of them.

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Thanks,Talierin,I have never seen these before!:)
They are great,indeed.But maybe after Alan and Ted,my most favourite is John Howe.

Earnil

Reaction score
I prefer Alan Lee over Ted Nasmith. I think Ted Nasmith's pictures aren't of very good quality.

But Alan Lee isn't even my favourite of all the artist's that have illustrated various scenes of ME. John Howe is my favourite overall, he just puts so much detail into his pictures. And he seems to be able to capture the right moments in events that have happened in Arda.

Last edited:

Thread suggestions