🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Tengwar... [Ancient thread!]

B

Brodda

Tengwar...

Hi folks ,
does anybody know what tengwar font can be used as ring font ?? I want to use the same font as it is used on the ring but i can´t find it :-(

It is not Tengwar Gandalf or Quenya ...

would be nice to hear something about it !!

best regards

Brodda

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Mr. Easterling! :) (I've noticed people seldom do this anymore..)
I'm afraid I don't know which it is. I too have both of those fonts, but they are very strange. There are no vowels in the T-Quenya, and the consonants are on the wrong keys. But I gave that search up a long while ago. But instead of getting discouraged I went and learnt the Tengwar by hand! I have been able to write it fluently for well over a year now. You should try it, it's much more rewarding than seeing a computer type it for you. But don't go and learn some strange mode; look up An Introduction to Elvish, by Jim Allan, from Amazon and read until your eyes pop. It also contains ineresting information and analyzation of the LotR, Hobbit and Sil, as well as having a thorough language course in Quenya and Sindarin. All the languages of Tolkien's world are focused on, and it's a very cool book.

Anira the Elf

lost and forgotten
Reaction score
i warmly welcome u to this forum also. u are welcome to come an visit my hame city of Lothlorien too. :D

cool that book sound interesting...... i'll try it. can u find it at barns and noble??

BelDain

The Faithful
Reaction score
Re: Tengwar...

Originally posted by Brodda
Hi folks ,
does anybody know what tengwar font can be used as ring font ?? I want to use the same font as it is used on the ring but i can´t find it :-(

It is not Tengwar Gandalf or Quenya ...

would be nice to hear something about it !!

best regards

Brodda
Here is a link to a font based on the ring inscription style.
http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwar.htm

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Hmm, thank you Bel, but this is still a bit incorrect. Thank you anyway.

Last edited:

BelDain

The Faithful
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pontifex
Hmm, thank you Bel, but this is still a bit incorrect. Thank you anyway.
Yeah, I know. It is only based on the ring style after all.
So what does your signature say?

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Thank you BelDain, I have studied the system more thoroughly and it is in fact quite good.
Anyway, my sig is a very funny quote I found in a surrealist quote-collection. It is Finnish (translated from French or English or German or..something) and it means: "In the burning forest the lions were green". :D

B

Brodda

Well, first thanks alot for these replies :)

Do you have the ISBN No. of the book "the introduction to elvish" ??

I cant find it at bol or amazon.de :-(

best regards

Brodda

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Maybe if you tried the correct name you would find the book! It's "AN Introduction to Elvish", not 'the'. :)
Anyway, the number is ISBN 0 905220 10 2.

Halasían

Dunedain Ranger
Reaction score
Cool!

I learned to write Tewngwar from just the information presented in the Appendix. Unfortunatly, the weariness of the world has been such that much that was known has been forgotten. Maybe when I retire I will take up the quill and write the fair script agian.

Lantarion

no house
Reaction score
Another ancient thread re-awoken! :eek:

That font that BelDain showed was actually the best one on the net as far as I know! The letters just don't correspond to the ones of the keyboard, and if you don't know how to write Tengwar already it's pretty useless. :rolleyes:

Also, there are at least three modes of Tengwar (Quenya, Sindarin and Black Speech/English), and not all letters are the same in all modes; also the composition (i.e. how the vowels are placed) is different in each.

Thread suggestions