🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Tengwar

BelDain

The Faithful
Reaction score
Does anyone else know the use of the Tengwar? I have been trying to find out how the Eldar regarded the denotation of a possessive.

In English with our Roman alphabet we use an apostraphe and 's' but there is no Tehtar defined for an apostraphe that I have found around the web.

So does anyone know of a Tehtar or method of denoting the possessive when transcribing English writing into Tengwar script?

Thanks.

chrome_rocknave

Frodo Lives!
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't know anything about posessive tengwar stuff....maybe you could try downloading a tengwar font and see what it does to posessive nouns?

B

BreadOrc

Not specifically, but I do a thing or two. Like to make a replica of the entire inscription on the ring, u type this into a Tengwar Scriber (which can be downloaded). The normal Tengwar font does not have an appearance that fits does in the ring...But the Tengwar Cursive is which can be downloaded as well...Thats all I know then...If u wanna know more please reply to this message.

F

Fionnuala

I am not 100% sure, I haven't been learning Tengwar or Quenya for very long but if memory serves correctly there is nothing like 's in Tengwar because in Quenya you add the ending -va for words ending in vowels or -wa for words ending in constonants... and adding that ending makes it possessive... I learn't that from a site at www.ubi.no/People/hnohf and followed the link to Quenya... I hope that helps you a bit

~Fionnuala

Thread suggestions