🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Tengwar

L

Loriena

I don't think anyone else has bothered to translate the Tengwar on The Silmarillion title page, but this is what it says:
The tale of the first age when Morgoth dwelt in Middle-earth and the elves made war open(upon?) for the recover of the silmarils to ? are appended the downfall of Numenor and the history of the rings of power and the third age ? ? ? tale came to ? end.
Unfortunately, I couldn't make out all the words because it wasn't written very well and there are so many different symbols for vowels.

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
You are not the only one. Unfortunately I didn't find out any more than you did.

BelDain

The Faithful
Reaction score
"The tales of the first age when Morgoth dwelt in middle earth and the elves made war upon him for the recovery of the silmarils.
To which are appended the downfall of Numemor and the history of the rings of power and the third age in which these tales come to their end."

Originally posted by Loriena
I don't think anyone else has bothered to translate the Tengwar on The Silmarillion title page, but this is what it says:
The tale of the first age when Morgoth dwelt in Middle-earth and the elves made war open(upon?) for the recover of the silmarils to ? are appended the downfall of Numenor and the history of the rings of power and the third age ? ? ? tale came to ? end.
Unfortunately, I couldn't make out all the words because it wasn't written very well and there are so many different symbols for vowels.

Zale

Wordsmith
Reaction score
My copy doesn't have any Tengwar inscriptions on it! Or any kind of inscription whatsoever, thinking about it! :(

EverEve

Back from a long hiatus
Reaction score
can some one please help me, cuz I still don't understand Tengwar *blushes*

Eldanor

Reaction score
Originally posted by EverEve
can some one please help me, cuz I still don't understand Tengwar *blushes*
Do you mean the tethar, right?

They're used to represent vowels, mostly in Quenya writing, in which the tetha goes over the preceding consonant letter. In quenya the A is represented by three dots, the E is something like a ´, the I is a single dot (or sometimes the E is the dot and the I is the ´), the O is something like a curl or a hook curved to the right ant the U is the same, but curved to the left.
In Sindarin there are some vocalic letters instead of these blushes. You can see them in the inscription of Moria's gate, as Tolkien says on Appendix E.

(I'm not entirely sure of this, that's what I think, and what I understood of the Appendix E and some other sources)

tasar

the blind elf
Reaction score
The Sindarin can also be written with these tehtas. But when written in the Beleriand way, there is a letter for each vocal.

Thread suggestions