🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

Testings and Rankings- PLEASE READ

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Brothers And Sisters of the Guild:

The Ranks:
Level 1) Novice - entry level with no test or requirements
Level 2) Apprentice - basic first level rank requiring knowledge of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (Test required)
Level 3) Journeyman - Requires reading of the Silmarillion (Test required)
Level 4) Sr. Journeyman - Requires reading of the Unfinished Tales (Test required)
Level 5) Expert - Requires reading Letters and some HoMe (Test required)
Level 6) Master - Requires extensive knowledge of all of Tolkien's works. (Extensive test required) Also, this rank will likely require either an advanced skill in Quenya or a high degree of knowledge about the life and works of J.R.R. Tolkien (and when I say high degree of knowledge, reading Carpenter's biography isn't enough. My Tolkien test will be a real beast ;)) However, Grond and the rest of the leadership of the Guild (and leaders who are only nominal, such as myself ;)) have yet to reach an "official" position about this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far, only a relative handfull of Guild members have indicated what rank they seek to test for, or to defend. The only ones are:

Grond- Expert (Untill I can convince him that if he isn't a Master Tolkienologist NONE of us have any hope of that rank ;))
Beleg_strongbow- Senior Journeyman
Anamatar IV- Senior Journeyman
gilgalad(The Irish one ;))- Senior Journeyman
Celebrien- Senior Journeyman
Lhunithiliel- Senior Journeyman
Gate7ole- Journeyman
Finduilas- Journeyman
Gil-Galad(The Bulgarian one;))- Senior Journeyman
Goldmare- Apprentice
Froggum- Apprentice

This means that thirty-something members still haven't gotten up with me about this. Everyone, please let me know as soon as possible what your plans are here! I'd really like to get this part of my new testing gig out of the way. I've said before that I'd like to get through the Apprentice and Journeyman tests first, but I'm more than willing to test anyone going for a rank below Master this weekend. If you have any questions, please send me a PM, or an e-mail, or get up with me on MSN Messenger. All of the relevant addresses are in my profile. Anyone who is thinking about trying for Master, please PM me so we can discuss the specifics (if the rest of the tests are thought of as exams, the Master test will be more like a PHD candidate's orals).

Thank you

Last edited:

gilgalad

Master of the Universe
Reaction score
FoolofaTook,

Have you decided what happens to a person who fails a test yet?

Your Friend
gilgalad

gate7ole

Reaction score
Test me for Master (but only the part about Quenya that I'm currently learning). Just kidding of course. I don't think that they are many people in this forum generally that can be considered Masters.
As for me, just a Journeyman please.

all days at 22:00-00:00 GMT

Galdor

Afraid of waking
Reaction score
Hey, I don't wish to join the guild, but could you tesf me for Master? I just want to see how good I can do on it. If you don't want to bother giving the test to people who aren't going to join the guild then just let me know and I'll understand.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Galdor, once I finish testing the Guild, I'd be willing to test you for Master. But if you pass it, I'd really hope that you would join.

Finduilas

Hope brings Death...
Reaction score
I'd like to be tested for Journeyman.Should I pm FoolOfATook

Galdor

Afraid of waking
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, just tell me when you're ready. And btw, I seriously doubt I could get even close to passing it.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Brothers and Sisters Of The Guild:

I'm quite pleased with the number of you who have already gotten in touch with me about the tests, and I hope that those of you who haven't yet will contact me at their earliest convenience.

I am pleased to announce that tommrow the testing will officially begin, as Gate7ole, Finduilas and Beleg_Strongbow will be taking the tests. I will have time to test several others tommorrow, so if that would be good for your schedule, please send me a PM or talk to me on MSN or AIM as soon as you can.

On behalf of the Guild, I'd like to wish the best of luck to Finduilas, Gate7ole and Beleg_Strongbow, and to every single Guild member on the tests.

Last edited:

Scatha

The dragon of wrath
Reaction score
FoolOfATook,

I am not yet a member of this guild, but I'd like to test for the Apprentice, having read the books multiple times. I have read the silmarillion, but just once so far. Should I pass the test, then i'd be willing to join the guild and prove myself worthy of the title.

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Well, I'm an Expert now, but I see i have to read the Letters. I don't think I can find them so maybe I should be now a Sr. Journeyman?

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
Okay, I'm glad to announce that this evening, I'll be doing the first rounds of testing. Scheduling is first come, first serve- whoever responds to me over MSN Messenger first gets to test first. I should be on pretty much non-stop after 8:00 PM EST. Tonight, I'll only be doing tests over MSN Messenger, and I'll only be doing tests for Sr. Journeymen and lower. Since I can only think of one member who has their eyes set on Expert right now, I don't think that this will be too much of an issue. I'll hopefully have time to test five or six Guildmembers tonight, and that's a conservative estimate.

My MSN username is [email protected]
If I'm in the process of testing someone, my status will be "Busy", if my status isn't "busy", then I'm free to test someone.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck on the tests.

-FoolofATook

MATTMAN

Reaction score
I would like to take

Could you be so kind and alow me to take the apprentice test. Thank you for your doing.

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Reaction score
First things first- On Monday, two Guild members in very good standing challenged for rankings, and it is with a good deal of pleasure that I announce that Anamatar IV has earned the rank of Senior Journeyman, and Gate7ole has earned the rank of Journeyman. Both passed the tests in a most convincing manner, and truly earned their ranks.

Secondly- This Friday, starting around 6:00 PM EST, I'll be free to test any and all comers. If Friday evening, or Friday night, or even early on Saturday morning is a good time for you, either PM to set up a time, or just send me an instant message over MSN Messenger whenever my status isn't "Busy" and we'll go ahead and get your test out of the way. Unfortunately, I still don't have tests that I'm fully comfortable with for the Expert and Master ranks, but everyone else I'm more than prepared for.

Thirdly- I don't have a third point. Now I'm just deliberately wasting your time. ;)

Good Luck to everyone, and if you bump into Gate7ole or Anamatar IV, don't forget to congratulate them on their impressive test performances.

At your service,
FoolofATook, esquire

Melian

Maia Queen
Reaction score
Well, esquire, I don't mind your lingering with the expert tests, since obviously I'll lower my rank:) The longer it takes you to make them up, the longer I'll retain my expertship:D

And, now seriously, I'd like to congratulate you on the hard job you've undertaken. I guess it's not easy hanging here all friday night! So thank you on the behalf of the whole Guild.

Beleg

Fading
Reaction score
FOAT is it possible that you will be avalable to take the tests next week? I am asking this 'cause I am having my Permotion test and can only get randomly online. Oh and Congs Anamatar and Gate;) We all knew you'd pass with flying color's.

Ecthelion

Reaction score
I have a few questions:

*I don't have MSN Messenger I only have AIM, will I still be allowed to take tests?

*Are all tests different for the same level i.e. two people are testing for Journeyman, will they both have different tests?

*And is their a time limit on tests?

Gil-Galad

in love
Reaction score
FoolOfATook,I'm sorry I wasn't in i-net last week to pass the test.As you probably know I've been ill and I don't have the physical ability to pass it.When I get better and have some more time I'll inform you.Just prepare the test for me and when I pm you give it to me.
:)

Thread suggestions