🧙 The Tolkien Forum 🧝

Welcome to our forum! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! Plus you won't see ads ;)

The 2020 TTF Birthday Thread

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize as this hasn't been an official thread since 2011 and we've obviously missed a lot of birthdays for 2020 so far. But going forward, I'll try to recognize the birthdays as they appear!

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
EA, do you have any credible statistics on the bell curve showing the distribution from "congratulations" to "condolences"? My sports-damaged (from 50 years ago) right ankle is interested in such odd stuff … ;)

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
EA, do you have any credible statistics on the bell curve showing the distribution from "congratulations" to "condolences"? My sports-damaged (from 50 years ago) right ankle is interested in such odd stuff … ;)
If you'd prefer condolences on your birthday instead of congratulations, I can see make sure that's what you get :)

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
If you'd prefer condolences on your birthday instead of congratulations, I can see make sure that's what you get :)
It's a conflict of interests. Ankle, thumb and knee joints (all on the right side, as I am right-handed) grump occasionally. These are internal, invisible sports damages.
Then my scars, some of which I associate with the odd war (Vietnam, the Arabian / Persian Gulf wars), but that rarely bother me.
And there's always the pointed question "would you prefer the alternative realistic at your age" …

Erestor Arcamen

Archivist
Staff member
Reaction score
No birthdays today so I thought I'd see what other interesting days/facts there are for February 13. Nothing that exciting really:
  1. World Radio Day
  2. In 1633, Galileo arrived in Rome to face charges of heresy
  3. William and Mary were proclaimed joint sovereigns in Britain - 1689
  4. The League of Nations recognized the perpetual neutrality of Switzerland - 1920
  5. LBJ approved Operation Rolling Thunder - 1965
Source

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Our channel 1 TV in Germany has three pages of such stuff every day.
So I can add to Erestor's list:

- Actor Benicio Del Toro, born 1967, in the 1989 James Bond film "License to Kill" the youngest 007 baddie so far
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York (aka "Randy Andy" etc.), born 1960, the member of the Royal Family of the UK that the family would currently most like to hide
oh, and a serious trivia item:
- Mary Anderson, American inventress, born 1866, who in 1903 received the patent for the first functioning windshield wipers for cars (I'm not surprised - I really stink at cleaning windows even today, and I'm probably not the only Homo sapiens male on the planet with that defect)

Last edited:

Olorgando

not from 'Straya
Reaction score
Our channel 1 TV in Germany has three pages of such stuff every day.
I had a hunch that I might have not been specific enough in my above post:
It's three pages of teletext for birthdays.
Another three pages dealing with anniversaries of (semi-) famous people' deaths.
And three further pages for stuff like the anniversary of John Glenn's first orbital space flight mentioned by Erestor above.
For Birthdays: Sidney Poitier turns 93 today.
For news items: Prohibition in the US, which had started in 1920, was ended on this date in 1933.

Erm … are we going to turn this thread into something like the CNN of TTF? 😬

Thread suggestions